“5 Star Prices 2 Star Quality” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurante Refugio

Restaurante Refugio
Praca do Cais 4 | Centro Historico, Paraty, State of Rio de Janeiro 23970000, Brazil
55 24 33712447
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #79 of 832 restaurants in Paraty
Cuisines: Brazilian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Refuge Restaurant, is one of the most traditional of Paraty, the style begins in the preparation of dishes, always prepared with the best seafood in the region, we suggest the crab stew, sea bass or shrimp, the shrimp married, the shrimp Spanish octopus Provencal's fool shrimp, crab paella the cone and other pratos.alem of wonderful food, the cozy decor, with indoor and outdoor, with a beautiful sea and mountain, and the historic city , the tour boats in the region, and the night by candlelight, you can enjoy a good wine from our menu or the best caipirinhas produced by our bartender all often present at moonrise over the sea
“5 Star Prices 2 Star Quality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012 via mobile

This was strongly recommended by our pousada for a special occasion i.e. My wife's birthday. They rang and informed them of the same while booking for us.

The setting is beautiful and the prices are 5 star so you expect something special. Unfortunately it fails badly.

Here is a small list:
• No chiller for White wine.
• Service is too fast. Our starters were lifted before been finished, which we had to recall. Then our mains were served while we were still having our starters.
• For these prices you expect fresh quality. The texture of all the fish had frozen all over it. The famous Nick shrimp sauce was very well dated, tasting sweet and sickly. There was no salad apart from an unedible chilli and the veg was v basic and flavourless.

So our bill arrived and to my extra surprise it included a cover charge for music, on top of the already $300 Reais for food and drink. Then a waiter put CDs of the music on the table to sell. The music had been a very average piano player. This was way too much for me. By the way, I speak Portuguese as I lived here for a year in 2005. I asked for the owner, already described in positive reviews as friendly "simpatica". She hesitantly arrived 10mins later and was anything but friendly. I told her about 5 star v 2 Star and that a music charge was unacceptable. I also said I would only reluctantly pay for the food.

She barely entertained us, did not apologise in any manner and simply told us they were other restaurants in Parati. 5 star? Best restaurant in Parati? I don't think so. We obviously agreed we would be definitely eating elsewhere again.

Oh yes, there was no extra effort or any gesture, no even a flower on the table as the pousada had requested for my wife's birthday but I think that was secondary to other issues.

Muito rapido em Portugues. Precos de 5 estrelas, mas qualidade de 2 estrelas. Nao recommendo!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere