we arrived in Paraty late in the evening, we had booked into a 9 room dorm but when we arrived we were told that there was a marathon the next day so we would be better in a different room, as the runners would be getting up early. We thought this was relatively kind and we were taken to a four bed dorm instead. Whilst we were there a Brazilian girl checked into our room.
There weren't lockers in this room so I asked about this. The owner said he had a safe in his bedroom that we could use but I declined because it meant we could only access our stuff when he was in, as he stressed he was the only one with a key.
We went out to dinner and were gone about an hour, when we came back the owner was in the doorway looking for us, he said that he just wanted to make sure we hadn't got lost, because we had asked for directions earlier in the evening. We went off to bed and realised about half an hour later that we'd been robbed. The thief it seemed was the Brazilian girl and they had taken two ipods, a camera and a netbook. We informed the hostel and they started shouting and screaming and shouting and swearing at us that we were lying. I cried and my friend kept threatening 'call the police or we will' In the end they called the police.
The police were really great and Jose on reception, who was very sweet, interpreted for us. Now I am purely speculating, but there were some very strange things surrounding this robbery.
1. The hostel did not ask to see the Brazilian girl's ID, even though they made us show ours.
2. The 9 bed dorm did have marathon runners in it, but it wasn't to capacity so we could have used a locker in their room, the room was not a locked room so we could have easily accessed it and used a locker. I was allowed to use a locker the next day by the receptionist.
3. When we came back the owner was looking for us in the street...maybe because the robbery was still going on?
I don't know, we won't ever know what really happened but it ruined our trip in Paraty and cost us a lot more than a night in a 5 star hotel. Btw, I use hostels all the time so am used to them, usually love them but I wouldn't recommend this one.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and HostelBookers so you can book your Historic Centre Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Historic Centre Hostel Paraty, Brazil