“Something out of the ordinary” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Asalem

You added Asalem to your Saves list
Asalem
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Praia da Crena, Ilha Grande, State of Rio de Janeiro 23.960-000, Brazil   |
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Ilha Grande
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Florianopolis, SC
“Something out of the ordinary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

Normally I am not really given to writing reviews but then Asalem does not fit in the "normal" category. I find that when you go on holidays it's always wise to expect something to go wrong specially when it comes to hotels... the towels might be dirty, the bed a bit too soft, the coffee too cold or too hot, the service a touch too slow. I believe that if you prepare yourself to the occasional disruption of your peace and quiet when it finally comes it doesn't ruin your holiday. So, imagine my surprise when, after five days, I had nothing to fill my "the normal problems with accommodation" category! Asalem is, as André, its owner says, not a hotel but an experience... I won't list everything that impressed me because you will be here for a while. But I will give you a few tips: wake up in time to have a slow breakfast, not just because the food - that goes without saying - but because the view. Have dinner there at least once and before you eat drink a caipirinha by the water, believe me, life will seem just right. Take your goggles and swim across the bay, its magical... and don't expect to have any problems because if you do you will be disappointed. The only problem I had was that I had to leave, strange isn't it? We are not used to being well taken care off in a hotel, without problems... but I was. And that is something out of the ordinary...

Room Tip: ask for the honeymoon suite
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

Wonderful people and a view I could happily wake up to for the rest of my life. Treasured memories for a multitude of reasons.

• Stayed May 2011
Torrance
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

This place is a hidden gem. Asalem is the place you look to discover when traveling to a foreign country. They have a knowledgeable staff that speaks English. The food is cooked fresh to order and great tasting. All the rooms have an amazing view of the ocean. The most convenient part is that they have their own shuttle boat to take you anywhere 24/7. Also, you are close enough to main city on island(5 min boat ride), but far enough to be away from it all.

Room Tip: The new eco suite is amazing!
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

Asalem was one of the most incredible resorts I've ever stayed at. My husband and I went to Brazil for our "Babymoon"/upgraded honeymoon. And even though I was 5 months pregnant it was one of the most enjoyable trips of my life. Each meal is served on the patio overlooking their own corner of ocean. The food is fresh, as in the fish was caught that day and the fruit picked right off the tree. They're signature drink is a caipirihna, but made them virgin for me! They have water taxis ready to take you to the gorgeous little town across the bay or connections with larger boats to travel up and down the coastline. All the employees are lovely and accomodating. The perfect vacation to slow down and take it all in.

Room Tip: The Eco honeymoon suite is private and gorgeous!
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

I wish I could just stay forever.... the honeymoon suite is just incredible... I can't find words to describe it, except amazing... excellent value! The views, the atmosphere, the food (a sort of homemade with a touch of sophistication), the people, the service, everything was just great! Away from the buzz, the location is simply perfect if you want to have a few days in your own private paradise. I DO recommend this one...

Room Tip: Get the honeymoon suite! The others are nice too..
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
a
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

An excellent for the location is really deserved - the stunning views from the veranda are unique. The hotel is on the steep hillside. Bear in mind that you can get to the hotel either by boat (the pick-up by the hotel boat is included only when you check-in and check-out) or walking on path filled with rocks, roots and through the sea water. The hotel rooms should have been renovated some time ago - esp. the bathroom (some fungus between the tiles). Also to notice is that the rooms are very humid and the noises from the adjacent rooms are clear. A smelly hammock just takes space away. The star rating maybe was appropriate years ago, but now it seems to be too high.
Power black-outs are beyond control of the hotel, but they are the fact (we had two during our two-night stay). The staff is very helpful and friendly. Breakfast is simple but very tasty. The dinner we had at the hotel was excellent, much better than what we tried in the village. The "very good" value rating is thanks to a promotional offer.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Davis, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

Asalem was the first place we stayed in Brazil after an exhausting 48 hour hour trip from the US. We arrived very late but were welcomed warmly and found our room to be clean and basic. No luxury here but the surroundings and the views are beautiful. Breakfast in the morning was bountiful and the staff quite helpful. The owner was gone until our last day and when he returned the customer service got much better. Perhaps it is the island way but we didn’t get much in the way of concierge type help from the regular staff although they were very sweet and lovely. Andre, the owner was extremely helpful and we wished we had ore time to talk with him. He has lived an interesting life. We ate at the Pousada one night and the dinner was on par with other well reviewed restaurants on the island. I wold go back in a heartbeat!

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Asalem? Share your experiences!