“A piece of paradise .. on earth.” 5 of 5 stars

Atlantica Jungle Lodge
Praia do Pouso, Ilha Grande, State of Rio de Janeiro 23968-000, Brazil   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“A piece of paradise .. on earth.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I just spent a week ( Feb/March 2014 ) at the Atlantica Jungle Lodge and we had a fantastic time. Rodolfo and his wife, Claudia, and their staff are great. Very helpful and they make you feel at home. Their lodge is ideally located in this green paradise and offers magnificent views of the beach, the forest and the hills. You have easy access to some of the most beautiful beaches in Brazil. There is nothing more pleasant and relaxing than to have your meals looking at the intense green colour of the sea. Note to mention the delicious cakes made by Claudia for breakfast and the equally delicious meals made from the local products ( fish, fruits ). It is the ideal place to come and rest and to have a break from the nearby busy cities of Rio or Sao Paulo. I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

From the moment we asked about arrangements for arrival, and throughout our stay during Christmas 2013 we were struck by the attention to detail and by the warm welcome accorded by Claudia, Rodolfo and the Atlantica staff. Excellent advice about the island (ease or difficulty of reaching different beaches and sites), Lovely food in a simple but refined and elegant setting. it was hard to leave. We'd go back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We spent about ten days at Atlantica Jungle Lodge in late October/early November. Although we didn't have as much beach weather as we had wished for we had a wonderful time. Claudia and Rodolfo are the best hosts you can wish for. Together with their team they really took good care of us, from perfectly preparing our transfer from RJ and back to the best Caipirinhas ever. Not to forget Claudia's cooking. You can taste that everything's cooked with love.
The place is called jungle lodge for a reason. It is far far away from everything (except stunning Lopes Mendez beach :) and surrounded by rain forest. That might also explain why it rained a bit when we where there ;-) Go there to enjoy the secludedness, the silence, jungle sounds, it's that kind of luxury Rodolfo and Claudia have to offer.
We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is the first time in my life I do not find the hotel I booked. The beach is 2 hs and 30 mins of serious trekking away from the closest town, Abraao.

The day I arrived to Ilha Grande it was raining, and the 2hs "walking" from the main town ended up in some serious trekking in the Mata Atlantica under the rain.

I arrived on Praya de Pouso while it was raining and couldn't find it, I kept going until Lopes Mendes, hoping it was badly signalled, and still couldn't find it. My UK mobile wasn't working on any beach, and I ended up soaked on the beach uncertain of what to do.

I ended up taking a boat to go back to town and checked into the first small pousada available.

I had to pay for my "stay" and have been accused of lying. While I respect people who want to unwind and run a small hotel in the middle of nowhere, I feel quite aggrieved I had to pay $600 for nothing. Don't go!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Rodolfo K, Gerente geral at Atlantica Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear Sir,
Your room was at your disposal since your booking and because that we could not sell these room nights for anybody else. The “no show” fee is for cases like that when the guest do not show up and do not inform the hotel in advance. When you booked, you were agree with this term. We charged you the fee of one night.
You did not get in contact (as the majority of our guests do) to get information how to get the Lodge. In our website, you can find explanations and maps how to get here and I sent you an email 9 days before your check-in putting myself at your service for any information you could need. You did not answer. On our website you can read this:

“Due to our remote location and access, we recommend you plan your arrival at the Lodge during daylight hours to avoid nighttime sea crossings which, aside from being more costly, may be uncomfortable due to sea or weather conditions.
Please feel free to ask our help in planning your arrival at Atlantica, and pay special attention to the following information:…”

Me and all our staff still asking why you, after your bad adventure in the forest, did not got in contact with us or with booking.com the next day after this experience because you were in the Island and could do it very easily.
Pouso Beach there is only about 400 meters and two houses. The most visible one is the Lodge.
You waited 7 days after your check-in to get in contact with us using very rude words offended myself, my business, Brazil and Brazilians.
Concern your claims to have been accused of lying please do not misrepresent my words. I just told you that you have every right to write whatever you want on the internet, but did not use lies.
Since we started in 2011, we host more than 500 guests from all continents in the planet and all of them arrive in the Lodge. Most of our guests choose us because we are a hideaway, far from the touristic Vila do Abraão. We are a Jungle Lodge.
Best Regards,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The journey there was a bit of confusion but once we got there, it worth that !!!

The room was great, clean up to standard. Only 4 rooms for the whole resort. Therefore peace guaranteed.

The only thing that the electricity is available only 7.30-12 and 5-10pm but the temperature is fine so you don't really need air con...

The owner, Rodolfo was great and friendly, the staffs were also great and helpful.

15 minutes walk to Lopez Mendez Beach which was great. The beach was good and quiet also well preserved.

Thank you for great experience.

Room Tip: We stayed at rom number 3 which was good. I think any room has a good unique view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

It is an absolutely wonderful small hotel. Rooms are simple but perfectly comfortable and nicely decorated. The whole place is very tastefully done. The location is amazing, surrounded by the jungle and few steps from a beautiful beach (and ten minute walk from the most beautiful beach on the island). The atmosphere and the view are just wonderful. The staff is extremely kind and helpful. The food is excellent.
The place is a real gem.I will certainly try to go back!
I read the review about the price. It is a little more expensive than some other hotels in that part of Brazil, but one needs to keep in mind that everything needs to be brought there by boat. It is the little extra price that must be paid for being in a totally secluded place.

Only warning: if you want night life that's not the place for you. If you want to relax in a quiet beautiful place, in the nature, with an amzing view and very close to the beach, that's the place. I recommend it 100%.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We only booked this place 2 days before we got there. We stayed there from the 29 December until 2 January 2013. It was a 4 night minimum stay and I emailed the hotel direct I didn't get an answer so booked through booking rooms. The cost was £300 per night. When your paying this kind of money you do expect complete luxury. The owners were friendly and helpful. The views were amazing but we didn't have any from our room. The room was very basic but clean, we did have a hammock outside but it's a shame the amazing views that you get from reception and the room you eat aren't the same for the rooms. Breakfast was eggs, bread, fruit and a cake, this was included. Lunch menu is very restricted with only 2 sandwiches, an omelette and a small salad available. The dinner menu is better with more choice and we had 4 nice meals there. It's was 65 real for a steak. The Lopez Mendes games beach is about fifteen minutes walk from the hotel. Is nice to go there first or last thing before the crowds. There is other small beaches round the hotel that are nice but not as nice. Overall this is a realy cute place but just overpriced for the time of year.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Atlantica Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!