“Wonderful stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aratinga Inn

and 1 more site!
You added Aratinga Inn to your Saves list
Aratinga Inn
Rua das Flores 232 | Vila do Abraao, Ilha Grande, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Formerly Pousada Aratinga)   |
Ranked #2 of 81 Ilha Grande B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Brooklyn, New York
“Wonderful stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

My husband, two daughters ages 9 and 11 and I spent an absolutely delightful five nights at the Aratinga Inn last week. The accommodations, service and food could not have been better. I join everyone else singing the praises of the owner, Rennie, who cheerfully gave us terrific advice, had a ready supply of most things you could think of needing and was very kind to our children. Even though we had rain two of the six days, we found plenty of things to do, including taking advantage of the huge DVD collection for family movie evenings after dinners in town. The afternoon tea was a welcome and much looked forward to treat for my girls. Because the rooms are primarily designed for couples, we had to rent two rooms. This was a perfect arrangement for us and my husband and I enjoyed the view of the sea and the mainland in the distance from our room on the second floor. Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

From the moment we stepped into the grounds of Aratinga Inn, Rennie couldn't do enough for us. Her personal touch really sets the tone for your stay; she gave us great recommendations on where to go on day trips as well as restaurants for dinner. We stayed in one of the chalets which were extremely comfortable and there is a lovely atmosphere around the place. The breakfast was excellent and the afternoon tea a delight! The staff were also very good and all friendly, the room was always spotless and we would thoroughly recommend the guesthouse.

Room Tip: Request a chalet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Brilliant service, kind informative host Rennie, lovely staff, best breakfast we had in Brazil, with generous afternoon tea! Unbelievable, I would love to return. Definitely #1 choice if your going to the Island.

• Stayed April 2014
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

My husband and I loved everything about it. Since the first minute we got there with nice refreshing towels after walking up the hill to the last day when they kept our luggage while we went exploring the island for the last time after check out and even offered us a nice shower when we returned. The food was delicious and the afternoon tea was great. Everybody at Aratinga is very kind specially Rennie who gave us great suggestions about the island. I would definitely come back and recommend it to my family and friends. Thanks Aratinga for the good times!!!

Room Tip: The Cabins in my opinion are the best.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We had an absolutely lovely time staying with Rennie in Aratinga. She is extremely kind and accommodating and will do absolutely anything she can to make sure you get the most of your stay in Ilha Grande. She always gave us great suggestions for activities and restaurants that we would enjoy (which we always did) and was very helpful in booking our onward bus trip for us. It truly felt like a home away from home (particularly as an Australian!).

The property itself is lovely with clean and well maintained rooms and bathrooms, it has also had recent updates to it. It's approximately 5-10 mins walk from the main street and from the marina so the rest of the town is right on your door step.

Would highly recommend staying here and would definitely come back.

Thanks for everything!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We had a fantastic stay at the Aratinga inn during our visit in Brazil in march. We stayed for a week and Rennie (Hennie in portuguese :) was the most amazing host ever! As the stupid city girls that we are, we hade huge bags but still lacking everything that was actually useful during our stay at Ilha grande. Renny borrowed us EVERYTHING! Flashlights, walking sticks, shoes, backpacks, you name it she had it! And she gave us a lot of useful advise about where to go, what to eat and any other information that you could possibly need! LOVED the breakfast and afternoon tea. Thank you so much for the most amazing stay! /Hana, Shina, Naze and Moni

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We decided to stay here because the owner told us that our room had a sea view. The owner lied to us, for we did not have a view of the ocean. In fact our room was very small and had small windows that opened up to the walkway, which she called a "veranda."

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
lynxie, Owner at Aratinga Inn, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
To say that I am extremely disappointed by this review would be an understatement, In fact it is libelous and borders on defamation of character. The alarm bells should have gone off after the guest made the reservation and then promptly cancelled it and then, days later, confirmed the reservation again!

Anyone who has received an email from me regarding a reservation at Aratinga inn would know that I go to great lengths to describe accurately the accommodation we offer.
In my original response to the guest on 30/10 I wrote:

The double room "Orquidea" is on the upper level and is one of the original rooms of the inn. It has:
* a comfortable solid timber double bed made from recycled (certified) Peroba timber with
  a top quality innerspring mattress, latex pillows and imported quality, 100% cotton bed linen,
* air conditioner with remote control;
* a new generation 3 speed ceiling fan with dimmer control for perfect regulation and silent operation,
* 120 litre bar fridge for your personal use,
* 27" LCD TV with USB port and DVD player (remember, we have over 500 DVDs!),
* bedside reading lamps with a soft romantic light,
* a small, but sparkling clean bathroom with glass screen and hot shower and premium quality toiletries,
a veranda with table, chairs and a hammock and a tropical garden view.

I have stated that the bathroom is small and there is clearly no mention of an ocean view!

Following this email I responded to yet 5 more emails received from the guest the following day providing very detailed advice and information on all of the public and private travel options to Ilha grande and Paraty. I am not a travel agent and of course I am not obliged to offer this service, but I willingly respond to all such enquiries to take the stress out of planning and to offer the best possible advice to our guests, even before they arrive! Such was this guest's gratitude for all of the information provided she sent the following email in reply.

31/10/13
Dear Rennie,
You are amazing, as the website comments say!

I was surprised, however, to receive another email the following day asking for yet more information, (specifically with regard to an ocean view) about the room chosen. My response to the guest follows:

01/11
The double guest room on the upper floor "Orquidea" has a veranda with a view of the mountains and the sea in the distance.
We also have a really lovely new chalet "Frangipani" which does not have a sea view, but offers much more space, privacy and creature comforts.
I have listed below the different features of each room so that you can decide which you prefer......

Following this detailed explanation of the different accommodation options the guest confirmed that they preferred the room and not the chalet. In yet more correspondence with the guest, I (TWICE) clarified that the room had a veranda with a view of the sea and mountains in the distance, which is an accurate description! At no time did I write that there was an ocean view from the interior of the room!

However, still seeking more travel advice and then even a change of dates to the guest's stay, I received another 4 emails, all to which I kindly replied!! What did I say about alarm bells!!

The original rooms of the inn are not big by modern accommodation standards, however this fact is made very clear in our website where we show photos of the interior of each room. Size, however, is a relative thing. I choose this very same guest room (as the nicest in the inn at that time) in which to "live" for a year whist I undertook the renovations of my house and I loved it! It was comfortable and cozy and had everything that I needed. A normal sized person would find the room comfortable.

The veranda is just as it appears in our website. Each room has a table and two chairs outside where guests may sit and relax.

From the moment these guests arrived they were warmly received, offered a glass of chilled water and perfumed towels to cool their perspiring faces. After providing all orientation information, I personally showed them to their room. The guests were offered the same hospitality as shown to all our guests by the wonderful staff at Aratinga, including delicious breakfasts and afternoon tea each day, a full room service with change of towels daily. They received a dedicated orientation and tour information service from me.

To dislike the location of the inn, which requires the physical ability to climb a short (50 metres), steep corner was perhaps expected. To want an ocean room from your bed is another. However, to suggest that the quality of service offered and received and that the cleanliness of the room left something to be desired is most unfair. I most definitely would not take it upon myself to call the guest a liar, but clearly, after all the care and attention and service offered to these guests, I am "extremely disappointed" with such a mean-spirited review. I hope that all Tripadvisor users will see it for what it is!

Been to Aratinga Inn? Share your experiences!