“I always stay at this hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pousada Vila Do Mar

You added Pousada Vila Do Mar to your Saves list
Pousada Vila Do Mar
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Travessa dos Pescaodres 88 | Centro Buzios, Buzios, State of Rio de Janeiro 28900, Brazil   |
Ranked #52 of 91 Hotels in Buzios
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“I always stay at this hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I am a brazilian as well as a carioca and so have been many times to Búzios. I have stayed at friend´s houses, rented homes and also many hotel so I feel quite at ease about giving my opinion. Vila do Mar is in a splendid location for afternoon/ night life because you can do everything walking: go to restaurants, bars, shops and so on without having to worry about parking, drinking & driving, and so on. There are many beaches in Búzios but the best ones are apart from the city centre so you do need a car anyway (15/20 mn drive aprox.). Is it expensive? Búzios is an expensive place in a country that has become expensive for everyone, natives as well as foreigners. You will find all kind of rates in the city but what they offer in exchange is sometimes really depressing and not worthwhile. This hotel has big rooms, some with beautiful view. Beds and pillows are comfy, There is air conditioning and very good breakfast (this is not a plus because all brazilian hotel tend to be good in this aspect). I am always looking for new places to stay (so as to save the extra bucks) but always end up here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went here with a friend after staying in another backpack not as well situated.
No reservation, we just got there in the afternoon and booked for two nights.

The price was 240 Reais per Night, we can easily fit 3 people in the room.
The room was ok : one queen size Bed, one normal Bed and a hammock, a tv and a very affordable "mini bar". A little private terrace is also available.
Not very foccused on decoration, i can only say there was a big painting on the wall closed to the bed i slept on.
The 2 main qualities of this poussada are :
* Its location : in a perpendicular street of "the" main street of Buzios, you'll find anyhting very close without being disturbed by the noise.
* The atmosphere of the whole poussada, very green, lot of plants everywhere. A nice Pergola next to the swimming pool (kind of small) is really relaxing.

Nothing to say about the personnal i did not need them so much and as we stayed late in the room cleaning women did not come.

Very nice trip there !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Antigua, Guatemala
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I hate to write a bad review, but in the case I feel it is necessary.

I stayed at Vila Do Mar for my honeymoon last year and the staff really ruined our stay there. The hotel itself is nice and well decorated. The location is great as well, right downtown and within walking distance to many great restaurants.

Anyway, the unfortunate part began when they didn't have our reservation, after multiple attempts to pay online and email to confirm it... from there we were put in a room where the A/C unit was leaking and dripping on to the corner of the bed. We got an upgrade in rooms to switch to an 'ocean view' room (great room), but there our camera and cell phone went missing from the room. After checking all possibilities we brought it up with the management and they basically told us to look more, that we had lost it ourselves- which was impossible, as they hadn't left the room.
From there things were a bit uncomfortable, the management just stopped talking with us instead of working out the issues. They had no interest in our satisfaction.

It was very unfortunate, because the hotel has so much potential.
I have to say that I can not recommend anyone stay there.

Room Tip: of the two room we stayed in the 'vista del mar' was the best.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

This is a very nice pousada, with good location and excellent breakfast (the best I had in Brazil, all home made, superb!!). Room are spartan but peculiar. On the negative, the personnel not so much comunicative, hence this impacts at the end.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

We stayed at the Vila Pitanga for 5 nights over NYE. That place was fine, we were happy with it. But every night we would walk about 1 mile to Centro, the main town area where all the restaurnts and many shops are. Our favorite place to eat is part of the Vila Do Mar - it's called Sinatra. I am writing to have them added to tripadvisor - the food and the service there blew all the other top rated places out of the water. To enter this hotel you walk up some steps to a second level where a reception desk is located. The pool is also located here. It is on the smallish size but it is inviting and charming. From here you walk up steps with lots of foliage located on either side of you and the guest bungalows are located on either side as you go up and up. They all seem like little stand alone places. I asked about the rate and for the period of NYE where all the places jack up their rates and require 5 night minimums, I thought the price they quoted me of around $240 US per night was pretty goo. (We paid close to $200 per night for Vila Pitanga. The rates there are normally more like $100. So I don't know what the non-holiday rate is at Vila Do Mar.) I only saw photos of the inside of the rooms and I can't attest to the cleanliness or staff. But, if the restaurant Sinatra that is owned by this hotel is any indication, I'd stay here instead if I could do it all over again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Howard Lake, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

This hotel is absolutely gorgeous. When you walk in it is breathtaking. Stayed here for 5 nights, but hated the first two because there is a nightclub down the way that played loud techno until 7 am...not much for relaxation. That being said, there were so many other benefits of this hotel...the location, they had a wonderful breakfast, the service and employess were great, and the atmosphere was one of a kind. I could search the world over and would never find something that appealed to me like the Vila do Mar! There is a small pool set about 10 feet higher than the road below, which is set amid lush tropical gardens and a gazebo. The main level of the complex is actually set higher than the road so no one can see in. It is very private. There are gates at the steps. Stone steps lead you from the road to the desk area with the pool to the left and as you head to your rooms you slowly walk up another stone path with stairs surrounded by palms, flowers, and other colorful vegetation. Located just at the end of the main road. There are also common areas where people congregated and played games and cards. Very Well decorated as well.

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Loud dance club nearby.
  • Stayed January 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2008

My friend and I stayed at Vila do Mar for two nights after being in Rio for 5 days. Buzios was a relaxing dream after dealing with Rio, and this inn is the perfect place to stay. The room was adorably appointed, with great art, nice linens, and comfortable furniture. The view to the ocean from room 3 is lovely.

The inn's grounds are idyllic. The swimming pool and deck are small, but very quaint and ideal for a post-beach evening swim. The breakfast every morning is one of the best parts about the hotel... wonderful fresh tropical fruits, coffee cake, breads, cheeses and meats, fresh-squeezed juices. It was scrumptious.

Early March was a perfect time to be on the beach in Buzios, though it seemed that the town was shutting down a bit. All of the restaurants were open, but the inn staff could not find a yoga class for me (and I would have loved if they tried a little harder). The nightlife was a little sleepy in early march, but that was fine with us.

• Stayed March 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Pousada Vila Do Mar? Share your experiences!