“Stay somewhere else” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Serena Buzios Resort

You added Serena Buzios Resort to your Saves list
Serena Buzios Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Rua Campo de Pouso 1630, Buzios, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil   |
Ranked #47 of 92 Hotels in Buzios
“Stay somewhere else”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

The Serena hotel was very misleading on it's in/out transfer service so be extremely cautious. They also tried to charge me twice for the room. The dinner buffet is about $70 reais a person and not worth the money. The staff wasn't very helpful. The hotel isn't conventiently located either. The pros would be the breakfast buffet and free surf lessons.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Ventas, Director Comercial at Serena Buzios Resort, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
When booking online –on pay at destination websites or when choosing paying at the property- hotel charges will not be posted at the very same time of booking. In said cases, accommodation expenses will be charged when checking in, as credit cards are only requested for guarantee purposes and will be used in case of no-shows or late cancellations.
According to hotel procedures, therefore, accommodation may be paid in advance or at the hotel.
The outstanding gastronomy and services found at Serena Boutique Resort are the result of competitive prices and excellent food quality and variety.
At Serena Boutique Resort, our staff is very well trained –we deeply take care of this matter training our staff on a continuous basis.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Aarhus, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Stayed there with my wife and little girl for three nights.

Pros:
Staff (helpful, kind, good at english, super service minded)
Area (in a quiet area in Buzios near the Geriba Beach which is the best I've seen)

Cons:
Could have been located on the beach!
Cleanliness (but only in the room. There were ants. In the resort area it was perfect)
In room amenities (no coffee maker and only local tv)

All in all a very nice resort. Great value for money.
Will definately recommend it to others

• Stayed May 2012
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I went to Buzios before and I have been in other hotels, but this is the only one I would book again and recommend, because most hotels and posadas en Buzios are really expensive and no good at all. Great things about Serena: helpful staff, nice and modern rooms, beautiful green areas, nice pool, beach facilities, breakfast and dinner buffet, free services such as surf classes, massages, transfer to different beaches and downtown and wi fi in every room

Room Tip: rooms with jacuzzi are really nice
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Serena has an extremely friendly and helpful staff.
They are all not just reactively doing what you request them to but also, and very often, check if there’s anything else that they can do to help you. -- even if it requires them to be flexible.

Here’s a short story to exemplify:
We arrived at the hotel at 3am. There was an issue with our reservation, done through a third party website (nothing to do with the hotel).
The guy from the front desk didn’t hesitate to contact (and wake up) his superior to get it sorted out as quickly as possible, and even though there was, apparently, an error with the reservation they got us a room a few minutes later (same cost).
The following day we woke up late and missed the breakfast. I went to the front desk to ask about the area and after a quick conversation the guy (Djavan, a very nice gentleman) realized that we missed breakfast b/c of our late arrival. He immediately took us to the restaurant asking the kitchen to prepare a quick breakfast – obviously, at no cost.
I could go on and tell at least 2 or 3 other episodes to prove how proactive and friendly the staff is.

I read a couple of reviews saying that Brazilians and Argentineans get special treatment, but I must say that during my stay I’ve seen Europeans (from Italy and England) and US Americans been treated equally, and as well as we were. In fact, I believe we were the only Brazilian couple staying there for the weekend.

Really close to the beach.
Pool area is really good for relaxing.
Rooms are comfy.
No issues with cleanliness during my stay.

I'm certainly coming back.

Room Tip: I’ve stayed in a room in the ground level, which can be a bit noisy at night as I could pick convers...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

We booked the resort from Rio, and they told us the price was 106 and 121 for our rooms. When we got there around midnight they told us that the rooms would be 180 and 205. When we told them that we had just made the reservation that day they said that this happened "all the time," but that there was nothing they could do about it. We stayed anyway, given the late hour and the remoteness of the hotel, we were not in the mood to look for another hotel. The food was good, the rooms were moldy, not so clean, and stunk like sewer. The city tour was good, and it was helpful having a ride to and from the more touristy parts of the city at night.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, there are better options.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Ventas, Director Comercial at Serena Buzios Resort, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Rochester Hotels’ commercial policies are based on BAR rates (Best Available Rates), which are established taking into consideration many varying factors. An important advantage of the use of said rates is that our guests get the best available rate at the precise moment of booking a room at our hotels.
Bookings are considered confirmed once guests receive an email containing the confirmation number along with specific booking details, such as rate information, room category and stay dates.
Under no circumstance, shall the rates detailed in said confirmation email be modified by Rochester Hotels. The email validates the informed and confirmed rates.
In case the guest receives, either telephonically or via email, a quotation and does not confirm the booking by sending the credit card information requested for such purposes, the quotation shall stand as such and shall not be considered a confirmed booking. Consequently, Rochester Hotels does not guarantee the quoted rates shall be available when checking in if a booking is not requested by the guest and confirmed by Rochester Hotels.
As per your comments, we believe you received a quotation when you contacted our reservations department, from Rio de Janeiro, but no booking was requested and confirmed by our staff. Therefore, when you arrived at our hotel, unfortunately, the best available rates informed at the moment of the telephone call were not longer available.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed in a loft. very comfortable, breakfast and dinner were awesome and the drinks too!
All the employees are very kind, waiters and desk in particular, they also has a beach personal and facilities ant Geriba beach, so you can stay there very safe, and offer surf classes there.
For me five stars.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

First, allow me to begin by saying I am a fairly seasoned traveler. My job requires staying in hotels 150-200 nights a year. I don’t know if this establishment is incompetent or just rude. But I don’t really care which is to blame. I was coming to the region for a petroleum trade show. I couldn’t find a room in Macae so I stayed here in Buzio rather than commute from Rio. After a 10 hour flight and a 4-hour drive I was thrilled to arrive so that I could finally shower and rest. But upon arrival I was told a large group arrived from France (several days before) and the hotel was now overbooked. I was in Brazil for the first time, didn’t speak the language and they sold my room…a room I reserved months prior to my arrival.
After raising a fuss they said they had found a place “even nicer than theirs” for me to stay and sent me on my way. My original stay was supposed to be for 6 nights. I drove a short distance to the new hotel. It was not even close to being as nice. The rooms were old and weathered, there was no restaurant, there were no services and it was more expensive. After two days I checked out to head to Rio but the proprietor said he pre-billed my stay and could not return my money. The Serena Hotel couldn’t care less and offered no assistance. I disputed the charges with my credit card for the last hotel and am dealing with that currently. Again I practically live in hotels and have done so for 20 years. I have never been treated worse. I understand that things can happen but there is never an excuse for rudeness and incompetence in a professional business.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Ventas, Director Comercial at Serena Buzios Resort, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
Dear Sir/Madam, it would be our pleasure to address this issue personally with you. Therefore, we request you to please send as an e-mail or phone number where we can contact you. The Commercial Manager of the RH chain, Aldana Galan, will be in charge of dealing this issue directly with you.
If you wish you may contact her at gerenciacomercial@rochester-hotel.com.ar

Been to Serena Buzios Resort? Share your experiences!