“Stay away!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Pestana Angra Hotel

You added Pestana Angra Hotel to your Saves list
Pestana Angra Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Estrada Vereador Benedito Adelino, 3700 - Centro | Retiro, Angra Dos Reis, State of Rio de Janeiro 23900-000, Brazil (City Center)   |
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Angra Dos Reis
London
“Stay away!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is by far the worst hotel I’ve ever been to in my life (and I have been to some shabby ones, e.g. ** and *** hotels in Bulgaria in the 90s)! It is so bad it is almost comical – everything is so horrible I am not even sure where to start – I guess I will proceed in “order of appearance”. Although the meet & greet was quite pathetic, I will not dwell on it as it is forgotten almost instantly once you enter the “rooms”. Ours was a bungalow and at first I though they must have led us to a disused room by mistake – everything was absolutely filthy – from the leather sofa (on which we have not sat once due to it being covered in an unidentified substance), to the bedsheets to the bathroom. Just to be clear – I am not a posh toff or anything, I do not mind simple hotels, but I do expect even the simplest ones to be clean. Out of curiosity, I even stayed around once to see how the room was being cleaned and as you can imagine I found that it just wasn’t – they simply swept some of the dirt aside and did not even think about washing the floor or cleaning the bath, sink etc. properly.
The beach/swimming pool are well on par with the rooms – the sunbeds are old and covered in a black fungus of some sort, when I tried to remove the cover and just put a towel on instead, there were worms on the underside of it. The beach itself is also quite disgusting and I not talking just about the “standard” sea debris normally brought about by the tide – the day we went to the beach (given our experience with the sunbed it was only one) there was a dead duck floating in the water with the staff walking around completely oblivious and not even thinking about removing it.
The food is also a joke, no good meat or seafood or even fruits on offer (I mean this is Brazil for Christ’s sake, how is it even possible?).
The only good thing about the hotel were the very cheap boat trips around Angra, they really give you a chance to appreciate how amazing the place actually is – this is what we ended up doing every day (we were staying for 5 nights before going to Rio).
In summary – avoid the hotel at all costs, if you’ve booked it, try to cancel and find another place, you are guaranteed to regret coming there, which would be a shame as it can spoil you impressions of this great country.

P.S. I will upload some pictures soon too so that everyone can see what I was talking about.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

If you want to experience horrible service and be exposed to rude "management" this is where to go!
The only upside is the location which is beautiful. When we arrived our bath tub was full of leaves and it was impossible to get even warm water.
The pool was closed for maintenance (no-one worked on it during the entire weekend).
The restaurant was a waste of time; quantity over quality.
The icing on the cake is that we were CHARGED FOR ONE MORE NIGHT THAN WE STAYED! We only realized when we had left and contacted Pestana by email. They confirmed that they made a mistake. They have REFUSED TO REFUND OUR MONEY (we can get a discount if we return!). Despite several conversations with a manager named Cesar who keeps promising that he is "working hard on the case" we have gotten NOTHING. He tells me that the hotel is run by a computer... I guess "computer says no" to this place!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed at the Pestana Angra Hotel a weekend. The food is really really bed and it's not a place to stay if you care for good food. You have to leave the hotel and go to Angra to get real food.
The service is really bad. It is non-existing. When we checked out they made us pay two times for our stay. We had book our stay at splendia.com and pay online as well. But the hotel made us pay again and lies to us about it!
When we found out we wrote them an e-mail. And they apologized and wrote that they would give us the money back. IT NEVER HAPPENED. We started to call them and ask them for the money but they keep exposing the problem.
LOOK OUT for the paying. These people are greedy!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Flims, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The place is like paradise or like a romantic pirate nest. It's hidden and a long journey to the hotel. Only few nice bungalows and a pictoresque waterfront restaurant with bar and lounge. Because of the room rates and the reviews, we expected to find a luxury five star resort, but it isn't. The service level should be better. The food in the restaurant is ok but to high priced. Also the drinks. The vine list offers some vine by the glass. But as we ordered, they didn't have any more the specified vine. They offered only bottles and told us, that they could not open a bottle only for us. Breakfast is good, like the standard in brasil. Overall, they should more pamper the guests and offer more for the price they ask. We are not sure about the future of this nice nature place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I want to say first that travelled very much all over the wolrd and in Brazil but i had not met before a bad staff like Pestana's. I accomodate at this resort on December 2011 and from the first minute we arrived the staff of Pestana was marked by the lack of professionalism: as soon as we arrived at the hotel we were welcomed by a porter who arrived with a kar, has uploaded all our luggages to take us to our respective rooms. When the guy stopped the vehicle to drop the first couple in the first bungalows, forgot to put the handbrake provoking the restarting uncontrolled of karma that only with my intervention did not finished its stroke in a tragic way. My act of heroism but unfortunately it cost me a double fracture of the hand. The hotel staff and the manager, even though they were aware of what had happened, not the least informed on the state of my health, let alone bothered to take me to the hospital I had to walk alone with a taxi. Only the next day when I complained to the front desk took care to help me with the paperwork hospital. Needless to say, the incident ruined the holidays not only to me but to whole family. After a few days the hotel manager has mysteriously disappeared, so he could not directly sign a written declaration about the incident. Its staff told me to send him an email and it would be the same thing, that he would have answered immediately, but in spite of my several emails for months I was no answer. Only six months later I received an answer from the new hotel manager that admitted the accident happened (the old manager was immediately transferred) and for medical expenses and compensation he offered me 800 reais (almost $ 400). This offer was tease, considering what happened and the fact that no more i will recover the functionality of the hand at 100%. Today, 9 months later, I'm still waiting for a final answer from the "extremely serious" and "very honest" direction of the chain Pestana.
This to describe to everybody how unethical and unprofessional is Pestana Hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

It is a very relaxing and peaceful Hotel, where you can have a lot of fun and relax at the same time. I highly recommend the Pestana Angra Beach Bungalows to every one. I would call it home away from home!

Congratulations

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Marlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My second review on this hotel. Amazing place, peaceful, beautiful, completely relaxing.
We stayed in a family deluxe bungalow with sea views. Certainly not disappointed, the whole family loved it here, lots to do, and the service was excellent.
My comments from my previous visit are that the maintenance must be up kept to a high standard. There were loose fittings throughout the facility, paintwork needs re-freshing, and the bungalow interiors need to re-done.
We will be back, my family are already planning the next trip!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Pestana Angra Hotel? Share your experiences!