“Great lakes vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of River Rock Inn & Bait Shop

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashland
River Rock Inn & Bait Shop
You added River Rock Inn & Bait Shop to your Saves list
1200 Lake Shore Drive, Ashland, WI 54806   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ashland
Carlisle Ia
“Great lakes vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Had a great time in Ashland. Do not let the name this place scare you. This place is a great place to stay. The room was very clean and comfortable. The location was great. Our room had a great view of the Lake. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The next time we are in Ashland we will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
rrinn, Owner at River Rock Inn & Bait Shop, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review for us. I hope it will also helps others that may be discouraged by the name. We promise the rooms will not smell like fish or bait. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and we're pleasantly pleased we were with this little inn. Very nicely decorated with cabin style furniture. A recliner is something you don't expect in most hotel rooms. There was a mini fridge and microwave. We loved the ceiling fan and great tv and tons of channels. Very convenient to several downtown restaurants. Please give it a try when you visit Ashland.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a great review for us. Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again in the future.
Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I can see why this property is #1 in Ashland. Large, comfortable rooms. We wanted to take the shower home with us! The inn is right on Hwy 2 but could not hear any traffic noise in the room. Nice central location to all the area has to see and do.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you in the future.
Mishicot, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I have never made a review on this site before, but I HAD to today.

I was in town for work. Last minute deal. I arrived in town to find the Chequamegon Inn (Best Western) and AmericInn booked. Off to trusty TA to see what's available.... A bait shop with an "Inn"... Hmmm. I like to fish more than the next guy so why not. I called and the pleasant voice on the phone said they had rooms available. I told her I would be right there. Unfortunately my GPS gave me wrong directions. This place is just west of downtown right along the lake. Anyway, I called her back and she led me right to the front door. The check-in is done inside the very nice and clean bait shop. Different, but I liked it. They have coolers full of beverages (soda, beer, water, etc.) and fresh fish. I received my room key, yes key, no swipe cards here and the room temperature was set to what I requested.

I parked directly in front of my room. Literally 4 steps to my door. I opened the door and all I can say is, WOW. Am I in a hotel, motel, inn or a quaint up north cottage? This is the cleanest, best decorated, hotel room I have EVER been in. The way this place has been updated is unbelievable. The Queen single room has log furniture all around the room, wood laminate flooring, a microwave, a mini-fridge and the BEST TV I have ever seen in a hotel. Full flat screen TV with Dish Network. The best thing it is ALL HD! I am talking about ~ 75 HD channels. The rooms are painted with natural colors well decorated. I enjoyed relaxing a night of TV after a stressful day with a beverage that was very cold in my fridge sitting in the rather comfy recliner.

I am so glad that the other locations were full. This is the best room I have ever stayed in. There is not a breakfast, pool or fitness center, but they were not missed. They do have bicycles for you to use for FREE. They also have a nice little area behind the bait shop with tables and what looked like a nice grill for your use should you choose. Anyone travelling in the area needing a wonderful place to stay that is not your typical roadside motel or chain hotel should stay here. Book now, because they only have maybe 11 rooms.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are off the road and "buffered" by the shop in front. If you are a ligh...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
rrinn, Owner at River Rock Inn & Bait Shop, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and loved the rooms. Are hopes for all our customers is that they feel cozy and comfortable when they are away from home. We hope you will consider us again if you ever have business or just need a get away in the Ashland area.
Fenton, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We spent 3 nights there in August. The room was good sized with a table and 4 chairs, refrigerator. We were not close to the road, so no problem with road noise. The lake is right across the road from the place. The bed was firmer than I liked. Ice was available only while the bait shop was open. Would stay there again!!!

Room Tip: It is a roadside motel, so rooms away from street will be quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
rrinn, Owner at River Rock Inn & Bait Shop, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for the nice review. We hope to see you again in the future.
Linn county Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I made the reservation with trepidation due to the motel name. What a pleasant surprise. This place is a 15 on a 10pt scale. We had the bunk bed room and it was great. Very clean, excellent bathroom and the whole room was squeaky clean. Our stay was 6/28/13. The smoked fish was excellent also!

The value here is far superior to a well known chain motel in Ashland.

Room Tip: book early. Not a lot of rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
rrinn, Owner at River Rock Inn & Bait Shop, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your great review. "Pleasantly Surprised" is what we tell the guests that are a little apprehensive to get them to stay and it usually works and they are happy they decided to stay at a "Baitshop" Hope this review will also help future guests that are apprehensive. We hope you are able to stay with us again in the future.
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Don't judge this place by the name! My husband did, but we were pleasantly surprised! The rooms were very clean and comfortable, and affordable. I loved the wooden floors, and, as one other reviewer said, loved the soap dispensers. The shower was very large and had good water pressure, not like a lot of places you stay. It is located within walking distance of the quaint downtown area which has lots of shopping and restaurants, and if you don't want to walk, the inn has bicycles you can use(not sure if there was a charge or not). There is a nice trail that follows the lake right across the street. Unfortunately, there is also a power plant that has a compost smell coming from it when the wind is just right, but it was minimal. The place is one story, so you don't have to worry about listening to kids running around overhead, which is a major pet peeve of mine! We will definitely be staying here next time we decide to take a trip in the area!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review. We do offer use of the bikes to our guests at no additional charge so that they may take advantage of the beautiful views on the bike/walking path. We hope you will visit us again in the future.

Been to River Rock Inn & Bait Shop? Share your experiences!