“Expected more for the money” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Ashland
BISMARCK
“Expected more for the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

From the outside, this is a grand looking motel. Great location right on the lake. Parking is troublesome, but ok. Expected a grander lobby. The front desk seemed is way to small for the size of the lobby. While the room was adequate, the quality was average. The halls and room have a musty smell. They have a terrific continental breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

HotelChequamegonGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN The Hotel Chequamegon, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for choosing our property and I apologize that your most recent stay did not meet your expectations. Naturally our rates are higher during the summer season since many of our guests enjoy being right on Lake Superior and the walking trail that runs along side of it. I do sincerely invite you to come back to stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We took a road trip this summer stayed a couple of days at this hotel Loved the view! The restaurant/bar downstairs was also great. It is an old property but is clean, we'll taken care of and the staff was great too. If you like history and unique towns stop by Ashland and definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and it is also great to hear that you enjoyed our on-site restaurant! We are the perfect escape if you are looking for a short vacation and I invite you to come back to see us again!
Minocqua, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

55 degree hallways -- postage stamp sized bathrooms -- beautiful corner room overlooking Lake Superior, but none of the rooms 6 windows would open (what about that wonderful lake breeze?)
Very tasty Whitefish Fish Fry special on Friday evening! Attractive "period decor" in the common areas! Staff was pleasant & helpful! Pricey, but would stay here again!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your recent review. We did just remodel the property and we are required to have certain size rooms and furnishings per our contract. The Hotel strives to meet all our guests' needs, but we realize each guest has a different idea of what they are looking for during their stay.

Thank you again for choosing The Hotel Chequamegon and I hope you look forward to your next visit with us.
New Palestine, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Highly recommended. Quiet. Great view of Lake Superior with deck along the back of hotel for eating or lounging. Very friendly staff. Clean rooms. Very comfortable beds. Reasonable rates. Full breakfast available. Hot tub and indoor swimming pool. Short drive to Bayfield area for shopping, boat tours, and dining. Second year in a row we have stayed here and look forward to coming back again next year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

HotelChequamegonGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN The Hotel Chequamegon, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Fantastic! I am glad to hear you had a wonderful experience at our property. We just became a Best Western last year and we are eagerly working on becoming one of their premier properties!

Thank you again for choosing us and please keep us in mind for your future travels!
Pearl City, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I've traveled extensively over the last 34 years visiting every state in America and in excess of 90 countries. Many hotel stays but yet The Hotel Chequamegon made my top list of worst experiences ever. We tried to check in at 2pm but the desk clerk informed us that no rooms were clean yet so we had to wait till 3pm. OK, no problem, she said just enjoy our deck and I'll get you when your room is ready. At 330pm I inquired again about the room and was told, with appologise, that they had forgotten us. Still, no problem, just let us get to the room. We got to the room and found that the room seemed about 2/3s the size of any other US standard room and it was extremely warm and stuffy. Also unlike many other hotel rooms there where no upholstered chairs to sit down on so it was stand or sit on the bed. It was so small that the sink was outside the bathroom near the bed and the shower curtain was pulled back so not to drape over the toilet. This combined with a parking lot view at $160 a night, and a staff that just didn't care made me feel that a repeat of this situation was unecessary so I cancelled our remaining nights. Oddly, nobody seemed to care or ask me why I had cancelled.
We left to pick up some things and to cool down over dinner. it was 630pm when we returned to find no parking available. The nearest spot in this small town was two blocks away, down a steep hill. (I had just had knee surgery making the hill a problem for me) When I got inside I inquired about parking for guests and was told that events sometimes fill up their parking lot so guests just had to make do. If I came back around 8pm I should be able to retrieve my car and find a parking space on their property. Nobody seemed to care about me...the guest, and my luggage. That night, we were also awakened by noise from the parking lot. Overall, incredibly poor poor customer relations by the staff. My only advise is if you're going to charge big boy prices you should offer big boy service not what you are providing at this hotel. Hopefully this was a one time occurrance and I was the only one affected but unfortuneatley it was my onetime so I cannot recommend that anyone stay here.
I have never left a poor rating but in this case it was earned and was well deserved.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the parking lot side. They are much smaller than standard hotel rooms lack any uphol...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I feel horrible about your stay with us and I cannot apologize enough about the shortage of parking.

It is true that we are experiencing some new growing pains and I am trying to manage it the best possible way to accommodate all our guest's needs.

I will be back in town this Wednesday and I will contact you directly to further discuss your concerns.
Cottage Grove, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Be wary of this nice outside appearance, our room smelled had dirty un vacumed floors and they never clean the bathroom, or beds during our 2 day stay which we had booked for three but the service and cleanliness drove us to find cleaner stay elsewhere. One male staff member would not even recommend another restaurant in town, the remote did not work and the cooling system was not working properly. At the breakfast area the attendant was more concerned with clean the table and getting me to leave than to support the food area.

The manager was not even available to discuss these issues!

I travel over 200 times a year so I am used to some issues but this was a bad experience

Room Tip: Ask to see your room first and make sure there is a manager on staff when you check in!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelChequamegonGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN The Hotel Chequamegon, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Mr. Winter:
I was available the two days during your stay and I found no housekeeping complaints in our log book that is updated daily. We are unable to correct any issues that we don't know exist. We take great pride in the cleanliness of the property. In fact our property was just recognized for an Exceptional Housekeeping Award by Best Western.

I apologize that your stay wasn't satisfactory and I do invite you to stay with us in the future.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Drove from Chicago to check out the Apostle Islands and stayed here for a few nights. Overall, I was impressed with the building, and comfort level I experienced here. Paid $100/night and it seemed very busy during the days we spent. The staff at the front desk seemed a bit overwhelmed at times with the traffic.

Breakfast was fine (juices, sausage, eggs, cereals, etc. coffee was kind of bad/weak though) - the other person I was with wished there was air conditioning in the eating area, but I didn't really mind. A bit of a drive to Bayfield (about 25ish minutes), but it's great that this place is right on the lake. There's a boardwalk right below where you can walk for awhile (be careful of the mosquitoes though!) Got dinner once at the restaurant, good drink specials, and a decent meal with white fish options from the lake. Walgreens is across the street. Parking can be hard to find, especially in the evening. Free cookies in the afternoon. Small gym and indoor pool area. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your meal in the restaurant! We are continuously working on improving our services for our guests and every comment sure helps us reach our goals.

Make sure you come and see us again during your next stay in Wisconsin!

Been to BEST WESTERN The Hotel Chequamegon? Share your experiences!