“Surprised” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Ashland
Freeport, IL
“Surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

When returning on the ferry from Madeline Island, my husband and I both received voice messages from a number we did not know. It turned out to be from the hotel we were staying at. So when I talked to the lady who had called, I was totally shocked to find out that they had our belongings at the front desk. When we had checked in the night before, a lady was kind enough to change our 2nd night of stay to the same hotel room we were staying in the first night, but that ended up evidently not getting documented right or miscommunication one. Anyway, by the time I was able to call her back, since I did not have phone reception on the island, the situation had been solved, and our belongings had been placed back into the room we were staying in.

So all in all, it is a very nice hotel. We had a balcony with lake view, but were not in the room long enough to really enjoy it as we were out sightseeing.

The hotel is a little ways from the town of Ashland on the lake and if I were to stay in Ashland again, I would stay in one of the hotels right on the lake where the main part of town is.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Waukesha, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We loved location but thought the rooms would be more updated. The shower was broken. The tv was an old as well as the decor. It was overpriced. There r other hotels in the area for much less per night and updated accomodations.

• Stayed June 2013
Fulton, MI, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Started with the price and kept going downhill. Looked at their site on line and price was $114.99. Got to the hotel and it was $129.99, their answer, "Manager must not have updated web site". Looked at a room seemed OK so booked as it is next to our favorite restaurant in Ashland. Reading the reviews it sounds like some rooms have been upgraded, not ours, TV was old and picture fuzzy, stains on rug, and obvious they were trying to mask some odor, dehumidifier running in room. Internet really needs upgrading, only have wireless in the lobby and ethernet cord available for the room, which does not work with tablets. And there are not enough outlets in the room to charge stuff. Bedding was clean, mattress mushy. We were poolside on second floor and room was too warm even with small window open & fan going. Staff cordial but hard to find sometimes, like when I went to check out. And no complimentary breakfast really takes it off our list when comparing to others in the area. Looks nice from the outside and has a lot of potential but unless they do something major will not stay again and we are through here twice a year.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Eagle River
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

It is hard to do a bad review because my favorite place is Ashland Wi but this place was so bad I just have to. The room was extremely grungy,The grounds was really a mess Dandelions and needed mowing. We had no view of the lake. Only way to see it was to stand and lean way out the window or face the bugs in the yard. When I told them I was upset by the smell and condition of the room the girl said oh so sorry. We planned to stay 4 nights but only could stand the mildew smell for 2. Obviously we will not be back to this hotel ever.

Room Tip: there isn't one
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed there while attending my mother's funeral. Although the circumstances were sad we had a very pleasant stay at the lodge. The rooms were clean and staff was very pleasant. I would definetly recommend the lodge.

• Stayed October 2012
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at the Ashland Lake Superior Lodge for one night, before the Birkie ski race in Hayward. The woman at the front desk was very friendly and helped get me a quieter room (away from the high school hockey team staying over) so I could get a good night sleep. The adjacent restaurant was great for a pasta dinner, and the on-site breakfast restaurant was ready to serve me at exactly 5:59am. Pancakes were served less than 10 minutes later. The folks working here really took good care of me and I enjoyed my short but very relaxing stay. I ended up doing quite well on the ski race the next day! Looking forward to returning next year and having another enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Upstairs away from pool was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Strout
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I hope they have started to maintain this property, but when we last stayed there the room needed attention. So nice on the outside, but the inside was... well... Not so good. Wifi was non-existant and required a cable from the office to connect to the wall. Unless they have stuck a ton of money into the rooms, the view just wasn't worth it.

Room Tip: If average is OK, then give it a stay. If not...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to Ashland Lake Superior Lodge? Share your experiences!