“3 day trip with PantanalEcoExplorer” 5 of 5 stars

State of Mato Grosso do Sul, Brazil
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Outdoors
Activities: Viewing foliage, Group tours/safari, Four-wheeling, Viewing wildlife, Birdwatching, Hiking, Scuba diving
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Krakow, Poland
“3 day trip with PantanalEcoExplorer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

With my wife we have spent 3 days in Pantanal at the beginning of June. Our group consisted of five people. We were picked up from our hotel in Cuiaba by the PantanalEcoExplorer car in the morning. The last day in the evening we were dropped off at a hotel, which PantanalEcoExplorer helped us to book in the busy time of World Cup.

The first day we've followed the Transpantaneira road to Pousa Alegre. On our way we've stopped several times to watch birds, caymans, other animals and some trees and plants. Sai, our guide, was very knowledgeable about the Brazilian nature, despite the fact he is Peruvian. Sai spoke perfect English, so it was very easy to ask any questions. In the evening we've done horse back riding, which was a very nice experience.

The second day we've woken up early (5am) and had a 2h walk to watch wildlife at the dawn. It wasn't particularly successful walk. It was misty and we saw nothing. After breakfast and a short nap we had another walk (in the daylight this time) watching birds especially. We've seen two species of toucans, parrots, some hawks, caracaras and jabirus. After lunch we took a ride to the closest river and had a short boat trip. After we climbed 20m tall wooden construction where we could have a look from above at the Panatanal landscape. In the evening we had a night safari during which we saw a crab eating fox and an anteater. Personally I didn't like night safaris - the truck we've used was very bumpy and noisy. I prefer by far to watch nature when it's perfectly quiet.

We've also started the third day early in the morning (4am) and done the night safari again, but we havn't spotted anything more than an anteater and capybaras. After breakfast we had a short walk close to Pousa Alegre. Sai (the guide) told us that if we were in the jungle with no food we can eat termites, which taste like carrots - we've checked - he was right. We've had our lunch and on our way back we've stopped in the forest to search for monkeys. We've seen Black and Gold Howler Monkey and some other species.

The room with bathroom was clean and air-conditioned. The food at Pousa Alegre was really good. Traditional Brazilian food cooked by the pousa owner. Interesting thing: the pousa owner in his free time particularly liked to catch snakes. During our stay he has cached two and showed them to us.

We've really liked out guide Sai. He was enthusiastic and tried hard to help us see and learn as much as possible. During one of our walks we've seen a tree with not eatable fruits. Sai told us that the fruit's juice can be used to create a temporary tattoo. In the evening I've checked if he was right. Unfortunately yes - I was unable to get rid of the "tattoo" for two weeks!

I strongly recommend the PantanalEcoExplorer company!

Visited June 2014

Singapore, Singapore
9 attraction reviews
“More like a ranch than camping”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I enjoyed myself thoroughly, even though it wasn't a good season and didn't see many things. Most tours consists of a boat ride, piranha fishing, jeep safari, night, safari, horse riding and hiking.

Many caimans and birds. I even got lucky and spotted a giant anteater crossing the road and giant otters while driving out of the campsite.

Didn't like the night safari too much. The vehicle was noisy and it is impossible to spot animals. Felt like it was just done to please the tourists.

Visited June 2014
“Recommendation for a north Pantanal guide - Fisher Souza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

I just spent 4 days with Fisher in Pantanal. We met up at Cuiaba. I found Fisher to be an excellent guide. He has very good instincts for finding the animals. We saw amongst other animals a beautiful armadillo. Fisher is very good in finding solutions for what to do according to the weather and how to fill the day with interesting tours by boat, horse or walking. It was also very interesting to talk to Fisher and hear stories about the pantanal.
I highly recommend Fisher as a guide.
Yuval Kaufman

Visited May 2014
Prague
90 attraction reviews
“Good budget tour to Pantanal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

The review of the Ecological Expedition, 3 days / 2 night

Despite some mixed reviews I decided to book the Ecological Expedition tour in advance by mail. I am glad that my 3days/ 2 nights tour was flawless and I enjoyed it with my friends I met on the tour.
As it was agreed in the morning I was met at the bus station (coming from Iguazu) by Rodrigo and I was taken to the hostel to take a shower and have a filling (free) breakfast. Around 10.00 Am we started our (3 hours) journey to Pantanal by a minibus to a Jeep meeting point (BR-262).

We were in the most remote part of Pantanal, Porto de Manga. It takes about 2 hours to get there by the jeep. Even tough it was just the ride on a dusty road we had chance to see a lot of wild live such as caimans, capybaras, parrots and many other birds. We stopped regularly to take the pics. We arrived to the lodge at around 6 pm after crossing the river. After dinner we went on a night caiman searching tour. And we had the first big encounter with billions of mosquitoes!!!!
The next day after the breakfast we went for 3 hours for the boat and bird tour and we had chance to see many different birds. Lunch at 11 AM and then till 2 PM which was perfect to have some rest and also was too hot to do anything. Then we went for piranha fishing which was fun and we caught some for dinner. After dinner is free time and you can go for beer to a near shop.
The third day after the breakfast we left posada for walking tour throughout a bush. We were lucky to se some monkeys, coati and hyacinth macaws. Then we finished the jeep tour and were taken to meeting point from which some people went to Corumba. I took minibus back to Campo Grande (be advise you have to pay 40Rs, usually not included on the package tour).

On the whole I enjoyed the tour which was exactly as was described and agreed in advanced.
The group was small (just 4 people in our group), AC room clean, meals simple but plenty of it and free water. The guide spoke good English and he gave us a lot of explanation about Pantanal.

The big negative aspect of the tour which spoilt a lit bit the tour is mosquitoes. Do not leave home without effective repellent. There are literally billions of mosquitoes. Also bring sun lotion as it is easy to get sun burnt within 15 -20 minutes on the boat trip.

After the tour I got free night at hostel in CG and the next they I got lift to the airport for free.

3 days / 2 night tours is sufficient enough to get sense of Pantanal.

Visited April 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
24 attraction reviews
“Put the Pantanal on your bucket list”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Over 700 special of birds and 700-plus species of critters plus exquisite flora makes these wetlands, 20 times larger than the Everglades, well worth the visit. Spring and Autumn best times. Make sure you have enough days to cruise the wetlands in a boat as well as safari overland.
Stay at the fun little town of Bonito, which has small array of hotels, and ensure you have enough time to just hang with the vacationing Brazilians and the smaller pioneering cosmopolitan crowd over locally distilled cachaca and yummy hand made chocolates.
Seek out Marcelo Yndios of Explore Pantanal as your guide to give you the indigenous perspective.

Visited April 2014