“Neat Atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Stone Cellar Brewpub specializes in quality hand-crafted beer and organic and locally sourced food. We have an extensive menu with burgers, sandwiches, salads, soups, steaks, fish, typical pub fare, English Pub favorites, pizza, pasta and more. We try to source from local sources as much as possible to give you the highest quality product we can.
Orlando, Florida
“Neat Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Had the elk burger which can be dry since the meat is very lean but they did it right. We all had good food and there menu is a has some different items on it so that make it nice. Service could be a better. There was 3 of us and they did not bring silverware for all of us. We had to take it off another table.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Chicago, Illinois
“Great Atmosphere,food, and service and GLUTEN FREE availability!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

This was dinner for my husband's birthday on a weekend getaway trip. With a lovely and quaint old cellar for a backdrop I had high expectations. They were met and exceeded. Great service by Ryan paired with a gluten-free menu that had extensive offerings were just the beginning of our evening. The beer choices were broad with free samplings assisted my husband in finding his favorite brews.
The gluten-free menu was varied with excellent offerings including pizza, pasta and sandwiches! Quality gluten- free is rare and a large menu rarer still so we were further impressed by their use of daiya products for the dairy free/ and oregano patron. An excellent food emerged and we were thrilled with the ease of ordering exactly what we wanted (and NEEDED) to eat. Bravo Stone Cellar!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kaukauna
“Better then what it was.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We decided to give Stone Cellar another try after about 7 years. So with some friends from out of town we headed back to give it another chance. They still haven't made it user friendly to find just what door to go into, and once inside what appears to be a hallway, you have to figure out the arrows to find out just which way to actually find the Stone Cellar itself. Once in the actual cellar itself, (which made us feel like we were underground or in a cave), you do get a strong smell of Malt. Yes it is a Microbrew/Brewpub, but the Malt smell is very powerful. We all drank something different. I had the Stone Cellar Marquette Pilsner, which was pretty good. Not sure what my buddy drank in beer, but he was not happy with it. My wife drank the home made Ginger ale. It was good but not great. The root beer that my buddy's wife drank, was to her very good.
We were there for lunch and I had the Curry bowl with shrimp. Having the 5 pieces of shrimp mixed in with the curry raised the cost of the bowl by $2.99. This dish consisted of some veggies, such as red peppers, summer squash, red onions and peas, over a bed of rice. It was served in a small bowl with 2 small flat bread circles. It came to $13 for about 20 cents of veggies, about a dime's worth of rice and 5 shrimp. To me, not worth the cost, though it had a curry taste, besides that was rather bland. My buddy had the same thing only with chicken. That lowered his cost for this dish by $1, and his thoughts on his were the same as mine. My wife had the Crab cake sandwich. I do not remember the price, but she said it was good. It was made in house and came with an order of sweet potato fries.

The atmosphere of the place was ok, but dark. Yes it is the Stone Cellar, and it is in a stone cellar. And as such, besides the malty smell you do notice a bit of a musty smell when you get near the bathroom area.

I noticed that they do have an outdoor dining area that was too cold to use the day we were there. It was closing the next week, for the winter. Noticing it when we first came in, I wondered just how they got the food to that area, from the kitchen and managed to keep it warm, since the two were no where near each other or on the same elevation.

So in summarizing, I felt the food was an improvement, though now a lot more pricey. They are advertising a much more organic and local ingredients menu, so that is maybe why. The food for the cost was ok, but nothing to be amazed about just yet. I will have to try something else before passing total judgment. The beer was much better then before. The last time we were there, they had beer on tap that was skunky and the bartender couldn't even tell. He also would not believe us when we told him. WE had to ask him to have the brewmaster to check it. Once he did he told the bartender not to serve it. So they have come along way since then, but still need to go a bit farther.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“good food, a bit pricy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My wife and I went here for the food and brewery. Beer was good, although $4.50 a pint for domestic beer is a little high. Homemade rootbeer was vanilla creme soda flavored more than rootbeer, but it was good. Portions were small for price, but restaurant prides itself on local and organic so there is the tradeoff. Would I go back, yes, but buying their beer in bottles from a store would be a much better value.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Appleton, Wisconsin
“locally supplied”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Food is locally sourced which is a big thing for me. Food is very good and their own craft brewed beer is a treasure. It is a good place to hold a business meeting or bring your family for an excellent lunch or dinner.

• Visited July 2013