“Will be back” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #142 of 316 Restaurants in Appleton
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Will be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Apps were very good (artichoke dip best I've had, how does a mozzarella stick taste that good?), entrees excellent. A couple Mexican shrimp dinners, chicken parimigiana (2 chicken breasts), and a tortellini dish. With an app, you will be taking enough entree home for dinner tomorrow. Give me a 16 ounce happy hour beer (or 2) on Fridays, and I'll move in. Well done.

• Visited August 2013

Combined Locks, Wisconsin
“Good Addition to the Valley scene”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I are firm believers in supporting local eateries. They provide an important part in the local restaurant scene. Therefore we decided to give SamBruLos a try. We did wait several weeks so that some of the initial issues that all establishments face could be smoothed. We were promptly greeted upon entering. We like to be able to carry on a conversation and were please that the music level was not overpowering. Upon being seated, our server and a trainee promptly arrived at our table and welcomed us. They clearly explained the menu and specials. Our drink order arrived moments later. The happy hour prices are quite reasonable. The menu is varied, including Mexican, American, and Italian. I chose Mexican and my wife, Italian. Bothe the warm bread and nachos were outstanding. Despite earlier reviews, the food was very good and portions large. Our waitress checked with us several times during the meal. When we were finished, two of the managers approached our table and discussed our meal and service. We expressed our pleasure in our meal. We will add this new venue to our regular rotation!

• Visited August 2013
Appleton
“Unfortunate surprise”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

As a "local", I love to support locally owned businesses, particularly restaurants. There is so much competition from national chains, and it's nice to support places that might reflect our regional flavor. When Sambrulos was announced, it seemed as if it was the perfect combination. It's owned by a local family that also owns one of the best Italian restaurants in the are, as well as a couple of themed bar/restaurants. I can't say that any of the "good" rubbed off on Sambrulos. We were greeted promptly, which was nice. Our waitress visited the table promptly for a drink order, and that's pretty much where the "nice" ends. Initially, we were served "flat" soft drinks. But...OK....that's a minor thing. The menu seemed reasonably varied, but I did notice that they lack a lunch menu/lunch portion options. We ordered, one of us a burger, and me a Mexican meal. Both of us ordered dinner type order, so we were kind of surprised when we were NOT brought chips and salsa, that everyone else around us seemed to have. We did not ask for them after that. Our food arrived fairly shortly after we ordered...not quickly, but not after long enough to be a problem. The restaurant was not at all full, by the way. Our food arrived, and the first thing we both remarked on was that the portions seemed fairly small. After a few bites, we were both surprised by how completely tasteless our meals were. I ordered Milanesa with rice and beans, and had to remind the waitress twice about the tortillas. My dining partner ordered a burger, which he reported tasted something like Burger King. Our waitress stopped by our table literally, after every 2 bites to see if we need anything, or to check our drinks. the attention was nice, but totally not necessary, and at SOME point, I expected her to realize we never got chips and salsa!

The best I can say about the experience is, "Yeah, ok." It wasn't good, but wasn't too bad either. It was just basically tasteless. Honestly, you've gotta TRY to make Mexican food bland and tasteless...in that, Sambrulos succeeded!

• 2 of 5 stars Food
“Delicious food, friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Our food was delicious, our server
Was super friendly and super helpful. Will go back if in the area
Again

Appleton, Wisconsin
“Not impressed!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Very unorganized and an overall sense of confusion here. Had a large group that they are not prepared for, spread across two different tables. Drinks were very slow to be refilled. Complementary chips and salsa for only half our group. I ordered a turkey burger off of the huge menu, which they don't even have? Settled for beef which then should have had same toppings one would think.... nope, no cheese and avocado slices (2) had bits of skin and stem still attached. Fries I paid the extra $1.50 to get upgraded to "garlic" aka one clove minced w/a little cheese garnish. Overall I gave a two as i felt bad, really a 1. Will not be returning.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere