“Not Bad for the Price” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Upper Peninsula
“Not Bad for the Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This little take out place with a few tables for inside dining in a rustic sterile setting has some decent food for the price and a broad menu. My wife and I were very satisfied with our meals and liked the spring rolls that we had for the first time. The only thing that dropped my rating to 4* is that my fried rice was too greasy. Less oil could have been used as I have had at other restaurants and have prepared myself.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

95% Recommend
Dubuque, Iowa
“3 Dimensional Tasting Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

A bona fide hole in the wall, Mai's Deli is a shining example of why it's important to not judge a book by it's cover. Started by refugees who saved their pennies from working Appleton's popular farmers market, Mai's Deli offers authentic Thai fare that is competitive to similar establishments in much bigger markets such as New York City and San Francisco. Known for their stuffed chicken wings, their brilliance really shines with the taste packed into their fresh spring roles and the pad thai. There is not a hint of grease in any of their items and I have never been served such temperature hot food. Mai's Deli is a tiny restaurant that packs a gigantic punch, don't come for the ambiance but rather the tasting experience which is rare and titillating.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“yum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

when i asked the hostess what she recommended, she said "i'm biased, all my mom's cooking is good." and it is. i love the green curry and the thai pad see ew.

Visited December 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Good food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Not sure what is so special about the chicken wings. Fried rice was excellent. Very good service. Atmosphere is lousy. Nice people. Would try again.

Visited December 2012
Hortonville, Wisconsin
“Appearances can be deceiving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I've passed Mai's Deli so many times. It's just a little white building near the corner of College and S. Memorial...right across the railroad tracks. Someone told us they had great spring rolls. They do...and more! Their specials that day (Sat. Dec. 8) were a pork noodle soup and pumpkin/squash curry with rice. I had the squash curry. It arrived steaming hot, aromatic of curried squash with a side mound of rice. You can have your choice of meat with this; I had them add chicken in the curried mix. This was the most awesome tasting item I have had anywhere! My DH had the pork noodle soup and he raved with every mouthful. Both of our bowls were huge! I asked for a container to take mine home. It was great for lunch the next day. I think the price per item was $7.95 and well worth the price.

Our appetizers were the spring rolls and crab rangoon. Both very tasty. I think they use Phyllo dough for their spring rolls. Soooo crispy! They also have stuffed chicken wings. They looked good and we plan on getting appetizer take-out orders from there soon to share with family the next Packer game.

• Visited December 2012