“Have never been disappointed” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 316 Restaurants in Appleton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located in historic downtown Appleton, Wisconsin, Cena features exposed brick walls, wood flooring, and a pressed tin ceiling. The building was designed by famed Wisconsin architect William Waters.
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Have never been disappointed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We have enjoyed Cena on numerous occasions and have never had a bad meal or experience. While not a large menu, the items offered are always intriguing and unique. Most recently the appetizers all sounded so good, I elected to have two for my entree along with the pear and goat cheese salad. Our server was attentive and everything arrived in a timely, but not rushed, manner. If you want a extraordinary meal at a fair price I recommend Cena highly.

Visited February 2014

Minneapolis
“Outstanding - food, service and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

This is a real find in downtown Appleton. A departure from the usual Burger or Thai place. I had the Wisconsin Cheese plate. Delicious. Not just cheese thrown on a plate. four distinctly different local cheeses, a tasty jelly and a bacon spread with crisps to enjoy them, all for just $12. My entree was a tasty NY strip with crispy fingerling potatoes, roasted carrots and a balsamic reduction. If there was a little less salt in the reduction it would have been perfect. Clearly everyone who works there is passionate about food. The bar tender and wait staff were engaging and friendly. The kitchen is open to the dining room. This is a plus because you can hear the chef's excitement and banter as they prepare each dish. Find this small storefront in Appleton you will thank me!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Menasha, Wisconsin
“I really wanted to love this restaurant!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We had heard good things about Cena but it didn't live up to the hype. It is trying to be high end but not successfully and the prices are high for what you get. It started out by not being told the specials but being handed a New Year's Eve menu with items crossed out or starred. We were told the stars were the nights specials and they were thinking of adding them to their menu. It clearly felt like leftover New Year's Eve food. The nachos were the best part of the meal. Limited wine and alcohol selection, I was told that they don't carry low end liquor after asking for Absolut, I guess I didn't realize Absolut was low end. I didn't like watch the cooks go to the basement repeatedly for more ingredients particularly with dirty kitchen towels hanging from one of their belts! Our entrees were ok but nothing either of us would return for. My scallops were gritty and rubbery. We prefer Carmellas, Appollon or Flanagans.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Amherst, Virginia
“Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Went here during a business trip to appleton. The waiter was a little unusual talking personal business while taking our order. Besides that the experience and food food was very good. It was a nice quite place the night that we went. Would recommend this restaurant for a nice night out to get some good food.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Very unwelcoming restaurant for a first time customer”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I decided to try Cena tonight. We walked in with high hopes of a great experience. We were not greeted and ignored by all male staff. And it took us looking for a wine list to finally get the only female server to say hello and wait on us. She did her best despite the lack of help from the male staff. The food was not worth the cool distant atmosphere and the menu was extremely limited. Also the place was not busy which is strange for a friday night.we felt uninvited and we left to spend money elsewhere on dinner.

• Visited December 2013