“Could Tweak It A Bit More w/o Great Expense” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Holiday Shopping Rate
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Appleton
Upper Peninsula
“Could Tweak It A Bit More w/o Great Expense”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Starting with the two negatives: (1) the management needs to schedule going over the bathrooms with grout cleaner and mold removers. It's not serious now but as a retired home inspector I tend to look at detail and noticed that the dark staining starting in the grout and in the ceiling corners. The other (#2) is that I would hope that they consider a more heart healthy breakfast by adding small yogurt cups (Yoplait found at most motels is gluten free and good tasting) and perhaps fruit cups. To offset some of the expense get rid of the potato paddies (I think that's what they were) because they are foul tasting.

Those matters aside, we found the service excellent, the employees very courteous and helpful, the coffee and tea was decent quality, and the location is perfect for the shopaholics. We did go there during the dead part of the late winter so we were able to take advantage of the promo rate that was 20% cheaper. NOTE: When we called for reservations we were offered the standard rate so apparently they are not told to mention the discounts available. Check the web site prior to calling if you want to save a few bucks possibly.

The other item worth mentioning is that our social meeting was delayed but we were shopped out and over coffeed so we did not want to wander aimlessly while we had to wait. The request for the slight extension past checkout was granted without a bit of hassle which was greatly appreciated.

A major item that needs to be addressed if the owners decide to put some money back into the rooms is to find ways to cut the noise from the hallways due to conversations and heavy self-closing doors that slam shut quite loudly. All of the outside noise goes right into the sleeping area of the room. One suggestion is to build in a slat type of folding door at the end of the small alcove that can be shut at night. This would decrease the noise from the outside and a low hum from the refrigerator that some people can hear. My wife was aware of the hum but I was not so she took the bed closer to the window.

Room Tip: The doors close quite loudly and conversations in the hall carry clearly into the room. If you will...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephanie V, Public Relations Manager at GrandStay Hotel & Suites Appleton-Fox River Mall, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear RallyGuy48,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. It is awesome to hear that you had a great experience with the service from our wonderful staff! They always do a fantastic job of providing great guest service and keeping the hotel one of the cleanest in Appleton. I can assure you that we do not have any mold in our bathrooms, and that the grout, which experiences constant use, gets treated thoroughly throughout the year. I will always put our bathroom cleanliness up against any other hotel in town. We are glad you had a chance to try our wonderful breakfast. We have a variety of hot and cold items that our guests routinely rave about. This includes yogurt, fresh fruit instead of fruit cups as to avoid all the additives, cereal, sausage, eggs, hash browns, waffles, and much much more. The hash brown patties have been one of our most loved additions to our breakfast. We typically offer our best deals on our TripAvisor website. By calling the hotel direct and mentioning the code listed, you will be able to receive the bet rate possible! Again I thank you for your stay, and we hope to see you in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Hartsville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed here last fall for 6 weeks and loved it. the staff was friendly, rooms were clean, beds comfortable, rooms are large. The hot tub and pool are of a good size and actually work and clean.
Monday through Thursday they have a little reception with local resturant food. Usually those resturants will leave coupons for you to use.

So when I found out was coming back to Appleton, I never hestitiated where I would stay. I am so glad I did, another person in our group stayed somewhere else to get the hotel chain points and now wished they had stayed here.

Room Tip: As always, I stay away from the elevator, but we had a few people in our groupd near the elevator an...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Stephanie V, Public Relations Manager at GrandStay Hotel & Suites Appleton-Fox River Mall, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Michelle H,

It's excellent to hear that you had a fantastic stay on your return trip to the area. I know we have the best there is to offer business travelers, and I'm happy you were able to take advantage of it. It's great to hear you enjoyed the beds, the hot tub, and the appetizers in the evening. Part of a great business trip is getting some time to relax and enjoy yourself! Thank you for your review, and we look forward to seeing you again on your next stay this way!
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We used the hotel's "park and fly" and it was great. Our flight was very early so the hotel arranged and paid for a taxi since there was not staff available to drive us. The room was very nice and we felt the car was safe in their lot. Upon our return they very quickly came to the airport to pick us up. We left our car 16 days and are convinced the cost of the hotel park and fly was less than what we would have paid at the airport. When flying out of Appleton we will be staying again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephanie V, Public Relations Manager at GrandStay Hotel & Suites Appleton-Fox River Mall, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Summertraveler12,

Thank you very much for telling us about your recent stay here at the GrandStay! It is awesome to hear that you had a great Park & Fly experience. It's always nice to know your car is in a safe spot when you return from your vacation. It also is a considerable deal compared to the parking arrangements the airport offers! Again, we are glad you had a positive experience and hope you had a fantastic getaway! We look forward to seeing you again next time!
Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was our first stay in any GrandStay Hotel. We were impressed with the decor throughout the hotel and the cleanliness of the room, hallways and elevator. The continental breakfast was a complete breakfast with many choices and everything was fresh and neatly presented. Every employee was outstanding in providing us services and we felt very comfortable during our stay. We can't believe the high quality of the facility for such a reasonable fee. We will stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Stephanie V, Public Relations Manager at GrandStay Hotel & Suites Appleton-Fox River Mall, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Hi Deb!

Thank you for telling us about your recent excellent stay here at the GrandStay! It's awesome to hear that you found the hotel to be very clean, and were impressed with the breakfast spread! We always have a nice variety of hot and cold items to choose from. I will definitely pass along your compliments to our wonderful staff. They always provide the best possible experience to all our guests. Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Appleton!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

My co workers and I stayed here on business a few days ago and I couldn't have been more impressed! Not only was there a horrific snow storm when we were here, but the staff (a front desk girl, and manager) helped us shovel our vehicle out, so that we could get to our training session on time. I have never seen derive like that anywhere else. It was as if we were neighbors! Anyway, about the hotel itself; the rooms were comfortable and spacious, the beds were insanely comfortable, the breakfast was more than impressive, the had a little bar that we utilized more than we expected, and the place was clean clean clean! I would like to pass along my groups thanks to Holly, Stephanie, Rosa, and David. We had a wonderful stay and will be back the time around!

Keith

• Stayed January 2013
Stephanie V, Public Relations Manager at GrandStay Hotel & Suites Appleton-Fox River Mall, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear KCrown04,

It's so nice to hear your business group had such a positive stay here at the GrandStay! I definitely thank you for taking the time out of your day to tell us about it. It is so awesome to hear that our staff went out of their way to help you get your car un-buried from the snow! A shovel and some help can go a long way. Especially with how much snow we've gotten lately! Our staff is always willing to go the extra mile, and that is what makes them stand out as the best! It's great to hear you found the property clean, comfortable, and had a chance to enjoy our breakfast. I will be sure to pass along you wonderful praises to the rest of our staff. Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you on your next business trip up this way!
Marinette, Wisconsin, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Looks pretty on outside the inside is very clean.Front dek girl Holly it was her first night alone when I checked in. So I was very forgiving if she did not have answers to my Questions...mst she did answer however. After a trip to get ice my room key did not allow me back into the room. So I had to take a hike in my PJ's back downstairs to only be greeted by two young ladies at front desk. I said my key did to work.....not sure why.....they asked if it was by a phone? I answeredIDK but I'm 51 years old and this sort of thing never happened before / by a phone or NOT. The bed is very comply....only drawback is the person in next room behind my headboard snores VERY loud.....and I thought I left my husband home. We shall see if my shuttle is ready to bring me to airport on time! That could be a deal breaker...... Kinda bummed about the experience but while it make make my day a bit exhausting due to lack of sleep...it will not ruin my vacation.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Stephanie V, Guest Relations Manager at GrandStay Hotel & Suites Appleton-Fox River Mall, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Connie,

I am so sorry to hear that you had anything less than an amazing stay with us. Unfortunately some cell phones erase rooms keys especially the new iphone 5 from Apple. Also Thanks for being patient with our our new employee's. We think they will be a great asset to our staff and hope you will agree. I would appreciate the opportunity to talk to you to see where we let you down and how we can make it better. You may reach me at stephanie@appletongrandstay.com or by calling the hotel directly at 920-993-1200. I truly hope to hear from you and Thank you for sharing your experience with us.We look forward to your next stay. Stephanie
Saukville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Wonderful hotel. Rate was very reasonable. Hot complimentary breakfast very good. Staff was helpful and very informative. Only thing that could be changed is allowing drinks and snacks in the pool area. Have never stayed at a hotel before where that was not allowed.
Otherwise we had a very good stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
GrandStayAppleton, Director of Sales at GrandStay Hotel & Suites Appleton-Fox River Mall, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear mom9804,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. It's great to hear that you found the prices reasonable and had a chance to enjoy our wonderful breakfast! We do allow plastic cup drinks or cans in the pool area, but do not allow anything with glass as to maintain a safe pool area for everyone. We choose not to allow food in order to keep the pool area clean for all of our guests that choose to use it. It is always our policy to provide the cleanest atmosphere possible for all of our guests. Again I thank you for your review, and look forward to seeing you on your next trip this way!

Been to GrandStay Hotel & Suites Appleton-Fox River Mall? Share your experiences!