“Clean, friendly, inexpensive, reliable” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Appleton
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Clean, friendly, inexpensive, reliable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I've been staying there on a weekly basis for business since January. It's close to the mall & restaurants. Close to my favorite store "Half-Price Books". The staff have always been helpful & courteous. To me it's important that they are reliable. I've had bad experiences with other hotels pretending to "lose" my reservation when they could get a bigger price from someone else, literally leaving me out in the cold. I'm very pleased that I can always count on Microtel. As a woman traveling alone, I feel safe staying there. It's right on highway 41, so there is quick easy access going north or south. It's also just off College Avenue, which is the main street for downtown Appleton with access to entertainment & great restaurants.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Gladstone, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

If you are looking for a cheap deal, this is the place for you. The staff is friendly, the place reasonably clean and it's just a short distance to the malls and the restaurants. The bed was comfortable although the lighting arrangement left much to be desired. No reading in bed unless you bring your own book light. There was no alarm clock so had to leave a wake up call at the desk. The carpet was somewhat lumpy, don't know what was under there! Definitely only enough room for 2 people in this room and not if you are too tall. The BIG TV on top of the wardrobe leaves a crook in your neck if you watch for too long. Small desk leaves limited work area for computer and paperwork. Would have been nice to have an ice machine on all the floors so we didn't have to go to the 1st floor. The workout room and jacuzzi were clean and nice. There is no pool and no restaurant adjacent but there are plenty in the area. Parking was somewhat limited but we came late. Breakfast was limited but will do in a pinch, nothing was spoiledor burned. I've had worse at the one in Green Bay. At least they have a designated room and you don't have to eat in the lobby. If you are on a budget and not expecting high end services or rooms this place meets the bill. It was very quiet in our room but we were there on a Thursday night not a weekend. The walls are not thick and you can hear other TVs and people. If you want insulated walls you'll have to pick a different chain of hotel in the area.

Room Tip: I would have given it very good except for the small room, lumpy carpet and no alarm clock. Also th...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

We were in town for a wedding and were looking for an inexpensive but clean motel. We found it here. The staff was friendly and helpful. The stay definitely met our needs.

• Stayed July 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is very very bad. I jought 2 certificates to stay there on the Internet... Big mistake! Our first time staying there was miserable. We had to listen to a party going on upstairs and jumping through our celing. After complaint two times, we were able to get a different room. On our second attempt to use up the certificate, I called at least 3 times and they refused to honor the certificate. On my fourth attempt (these attempts were weeks apart) the girl at the front desk didn't know how to take a reservation. She recommended I call back hours later to speak to her manager. I called back and could hear the manager tell her to send my call to her voicemail and she would call me back in 24 hrs. I needed the room that night and told the girl it was ridiculous and just needed a room or tonight. The girl mumbled something to another coworker and handed the phone off to someone else who started taking my reservation. The manager then got on the phone (after about 5 minutes) and said I wasn't allowed to harass her customers and swear at them. I hadnt done any such thing. I never swore or even raised my voice and she never even bothered to ask what had happened previously. She was just annoyed with the fact that I had a discount coupon and they didn't want to honor it. She kept rattling off different rules that didnt apply to my certificate to get out of honoring it. Anyways, they were very rude to me and I ended up canceling the certificate and getting my money back. I will never stay in that trashy hotel with terrible customer service again. I've never been treated so poorly. I will stay at classier hotels in the future. You truly get what you pay for and I learned that lesson the hard way. I also filed a formal complaint.

• Stayed April 2012
wautomadesi, Owner at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Appleton, responded to this review, June 20, 2012

I apologize that our certificate policy wasn't up to your expectations. I believe our manager is working with you to correct the issue. Also, my staff is trained not to respond to guests that are rude or use foul language with them.

As far as the noise in the room above you, I apologize, and am glad that you were given a room that was more quiet.

Thank you again for your business & also taking the time to leave a review. We'll use your feedback to make our hotel better.

Dear reader: Please know that we rent over 12,000 rooms per year. The reviews on Trip , Advisor are from less than 1% of our guests. Though we strive to be the best we can, once in a while a guest cannot be pleased. Please be assured that 99.5% of our guests have great experiences. Give us a shot, I'm certain you'll be happy with our hotel.

Also, please read other review sites for a more complete picture of our property. Other sites require that the guest actually has stayed at the hotel, this one does not.
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I found my room to be fairly clean. Their rate is usually slightly lower than other hotels in the area, but the rooms are very small, as the name suggests. The breakfast was minimal at best, basically dry pastry goods with a waffle machine. The Wifi works, but not everywhere in the hotel and so sometimes people have to go to the lobby. The location is in a very busy area next to the freeway, and so there isn't a lot of fresh air, although the pollution is less at night.

My biggest gripe was with their TVs and cable package. The TVs are small and located high up so that it's not comfortable to view them. Their cable package doesn't even include NBC, and so you can't watch the news from that channel or Saturday Night Live. I don't recall this problem at other Microtels. I guess that's one of the ways they try to save money, but most hotels don't cut out the major networks. You can get Comedy Central and MS-NBC, however, which is odd considering that NBC isn't available.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

I'm glad that you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable.

I sincerely apologize that you weren't able to get NBC during your stay. I've had our staff verify that we do have NBC in all of our guestrooms. I'm certain the front desk would have assisted in locating NBC if they would have known.

Microtel's are designed to be very efficient. The size of the rooms, and the location of the amenities are a result of that design.

We look forward to seeing you again soon, and we'll have fresh baked cookies waiting for you at check in!
Alden, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I do a lot of business travel in the Midwest. I chose this hotel because of past experience with Microtels and it being relatively inexpensive. Though overall the hotel was sufficient for my needs, I believe there are some areas that could be improved. This includes a better breakfast with more hot options, cleaner smelling rooms (better air circulation), updates to the halls and lobby, flatscreen TV in room, softer mattress, and an ice machine on each level. Though the front desk was friendly, I overheard the cleaning crew talking about a room they thought had bedbugs. Not appropriate, and also an indication of the overall state of the hotel (feels old and a bit unclean). I brought my own air purifier for my room, and could really tell the need for it. The room circulation is a bit poor (not fresh air). Overall acceptable room, but without these improvements I would probably not stay here again unless other comparable options were significantly more expensive. I would be willing, at this time, to spend an extra $20-30 a night at a competitor if it was of better quality. Honestly, I was a bit surprised, as I usually have great experiences with Microtels.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property! We strive to give every guest our very best service every time. You mentioned that overall you were happy with your stay. I'm very glad to hear that.

I apologize that the amenities were not up to your expectations. We keep our rates low by offering basic economy lodging. The breakfast offers fresh waffles & fruit, which usually isn't found at economy hotels.

Further, I apologize if you overhead our staff mention anything disturbing. My staff is trained to stay on top of the bedbug epidemic. I'm certain they were talking about prevention, as BB prevention is a daily task. We haven't had any cases of BB at our property, as we work hard on prevention.

Navarre, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

I only needed a hotel room for a one night stay as I was traveling over 1,200 miles to reach my destination in Northern WI. Just a bed, a shower and a fridge/micro. I booked online through Wyndham as I am a member. Figured I would earn some miles. Wrong move. Should have booked my usual room across the street, another "Suites Hotel".
The ONLY good thing was the front desk person working when I checked in. (at 1st)
Smiling & friendly, Trina, I believe her name was, gave me my room key and off I went, VERY tired from driving 11-12 hrs. in pouring rain. Got to my room on the 1st floor, dragged what I needed inside (including some food I needed to keep cold overnight) and alas...no fridge, no microwave.
???
I went back to speak with Trina, who told me it was a "1st come 1st serve" basis for getting a room with those items.
???
She found me another room on the 2nd floor. I dragged all of my stuff upstairs, approached the door and noticed something wrong with the door handle. It did not sit level and horizontal like ALL of the other doors in the hotel. It was broken and flopped downward. I tried the key fob, wiggling the broken handle several times to no avail. So...here I go again, dragging EVERYTHING back downstairs again (did not want to leave my belongings in the hall) and by this time Trina is now losing her nice demeanor in response to my losing MINE. Bless her heart, she returned WITH me to the broken door upstairs. After a few tries, she got the door open and I noticed a slight eye-roll as she turned and walked away. (gee, I guess I am an idiot because I don't know the "secret broken door-handle handshake"?) After 40 minutes I am FINALLY inside of a ROOM! I am also wondering how in the hell I am going to get back IN if I need to go downstairs again. I settle in. NO COFFEE MAKER! WTH? Is this really a hotel? So, off I go to see Trina again, wondering HOW I am even going to get BACK IN to my room. By this time we are both losing our sense of humor. Again, she explains this is a 1st come-1st serve "amenity". Good grief. She directs me to the room where coffee is available 24/7. I check the FRESHLY BREWED coffee. It's as clear as weak tea. (it was like that again in the AM) I called a friend who came and picked me up as I was exhausted, and she took me to Target where I bought a coffee maker and coffee. After working over 30 years in Hotel Management for a different, larger hotel chain, I must admit...this was my mistake for considering a different brand. I will stick to what I know & expect. The words "1st come 1st serve" keep ringing in my head. What if I would have been a late check-in? Would I have even had pillows? Towels? Nice try Microtel...never again. NO decent standard amenities, horrible coffee, a broken door knob and noisy neighbors so that I could not sleep. I left very early the next morning. Why stay? And yes...it took me over 12-14 tries with the door handle to learn the "secret wiggle" of the broken door handle and key fob using both hands, just to get back into my room. It also did not lock from the inside. Scary. Had to use the flimsy bar for "security". I didn't even bother with calling the front desk when the noisy neighbors woke me up. At least the fridge & micro worked. Another friendly front desk clerk was on duty when I left. I set my keys/folder down and did not even request a receipt copy as I was afraid she would ask me how my stay was. I was TOO incensed. She didn't ask, just said "have a nice day". I only had one way to go....UP. Because of the fact that they were friendly overall I gave you 2 stars.

Room Tip: Do not book online. Call the hotel directly and ask them WHAT IS INCLUDED in your "room"...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your feedback will help us improve our property.

As we are an economy property, we have a variety of rooms, from very basic (lowest priced) to suites (higher priced).

From what you describe, it seems our staff did their best to find you a room that would fit your needs. She upgraded you to a room with a refrigerator, and unfortunately the door wasn't working as expected. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Also, I apologize that the coffee wasn't brewing as strong as you desired. I'm assuming that the machine was out of coffee, and just needed to be refilled. I'm certain that the staff would have made that happen if you would have notified them.

Thank you again for your business, and also for the review. I appreciate your time.

Dear reader, our property hosts over 12,000 guests per year. The reviews on this site are from less than one percent of our guests. Please give us a shot, you won't be disappointed.

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Appleton? Share your experiences!