“STAY AWAY!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Appleton
Kenosha, Wisconsin
“STAY AWAY!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

We stayed at this hotel to attend the air show in oshkosh WI. as their were no hotels available. We paid 149 plus tax for a regular room. At first we arrived at the wrong hotel, apparently, there are two La Quinta's right next to each other. I was told to go down the road for the other La Quinta and was sent on a wild goose chase. After about 30 minutes, I finally found the correct hotel. After checking in, the room was horrible for what I would expect of a $150 dollar room. I would expect something like that at the super 8, but not after paying what we did. The room reeked of smoke. Ancient television set. Toilet Paper holder broken, carpet felt dirty. The drapes do not even match the beds! The door to the room looked like I was checking into a hotel in the worst part of town with all the dents and scratches in it. We asked for two extra pillows and were told they did not have any more. After my wife called back a few minutes later and complained very loudly, they suddenly found some more pillows.

I would never reccommed this hotel to anyone. For what you have to pay, it is not worth it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

I was looking for a hotel to stay at during my short visit to Wisconsin. Cost was somewhat of an issue so I was looking for something a bit cheaper. Upon checking out where I wanted to go, the La Quinta looked like a good place for the money but was a bit leery when I looked at some of the reviews. I decided in the end to go since I'd never stayed at a La Quinta Inn before.

The first thing to note is that there are two La Quintas on the same side of the street practically next to each other. This amounted in some confusion. I drove to the hotel that seemed to be the right address and parked.

Upon entering the lobby, I was greeted at the desk. I asked if this was the College Avenue/Fox River Mall La Quinta to which she said yes and I said that I had a reservation there. I gave her my name and she found me right away. Because I was a Rewards member, I did not have to sign anything and she even gave me a bottle of water and a chocolate chip cookie.

She then gave me the key to my room which was in the next complex over (this hotel has two buildings). Upon entering my room I did see it to be clean and the bed felt very comfortable. When I checked the bathroom out I did see only a walk in shower which is unusual for a hotel but was not disappointed. My complaint about the bathroom is that its so small that you have to stand outside the bathroom to open the shower door. The knobs on the shower were easy to use and I got the right temperature for the shower right away.

The bed itself was very comfortable and I woke up refreshed the next day. They do have a breakfast available beyond the check-in area and in addition to the usual danishes, cereal, waffles, and coffee/juices, they do have boiled eggs to eat as well.

For those like myself that do not have a laptop, there is a computer available in the lobby area.

Also, either cash or a credit card is strongly suggested for use. They have a warning (which I did see on their website) that if you use a debit card they will pre-authorize your card with the amount of the room in addition to the room charge. The pre-auth is removed within a few days but still that money is not available to you.

All in all this was a good stay. The hotel is clean and very comfortable and its close to downtown Appleton (2 mi) and the Mall (Fox River Mall just west on the other side of the expressway). I would stay at this hotel again if given the opportunity.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Marquette, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

I was on my way to Madison for a family medical issue and wanted a cheap overnight room along the way. I found a price of $51.00 online, and since it was last minute I called the property to check the rate and they gave it to me for $49.90 all-in. I was pretty leary, but since I was going to be alone, it's right on US41 and I just needed a bed I went for it. The property is older for sure, the newer property is on the other side of the parking lot and is considerably more expensive. Check-in was easy and I was put into the western building in room 104, I would ask for this building if given a choice since the main building had doors from the outside and this building was enclosed. I had a king room, it was reasonably clean, and while the fixtures were old they were servicable. No tub, just a shower which I found unusual. The room also had a fridge and microwave, along with a decent TV with a premium channel included. Wireless internet was free and worked good for me.

It was getting late, but I wanted to eat and they had 10% off certificates for the Texas Roadhouse which was right next door (so is an Applebees) so I walked over and saved a few bucks on a steak dinner. The walls were thin, but the temperature control allows to leave the fan on so that and a towel stuffed under the door kept things quiet enough to sleep. The bed was okay, the linens were a little thin but clean and didn't smell too much like chlorine. The next morning the shower was okay, they provide shampoo and a non-slimy soap which was good for me. The rooms do have hair dryers as well.

There was a basic breakfast included that served the usual waffles, cereals, muffins, juice coffee, hard boiled eggs, etc. Check out was quick and I was on my way.

I don't think I'd stay here a week with the family, but for a quick overnight at $49, I would be hard pressed to complain about my experience.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
brillion wi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

I checked in for a Monday night and Tuesday night in February 2010. After reading the reviews on this site was not sure but they were the cheapest for a room with a microwave and mini refrig. I had to work at a store near the fox river mall Monday and Tuesday nite from 5 pm - 11 pm and a big snow storm was predicted and I am cannot see well at night to drive the hour drive home.

I decided to take a chance since the reviews were older and generally usually only those people who have a bad experience write. So for that one bad experience there are probably a couple thousand ok experiences.

Got there at 11:30 pm after work. Clerk at front desk was very courtous and helpful. Room was very large for a hotel room (it had a king bed, a dresser, a desk, a regular upholstered chair but was not a rocker, and two night stands.

The bathroom was small however and there was only a tiled shower. I would have liked to have a tub/shower combo. But I forgot to ask about that when I booked the room and the other hotels wanted $10 more each for a microwave and a frig even though expedia had those listed as included on the expedia rate for the other hotel.

The faucet for the shower was a little tricky to operate and at first I got very little water pressure and very hot water. But then I played with the dial and got both the water pressure and nice warm water.

The alarm clock supplied worked well as did the wake up call service. The wireless internet also worked well. They only have an outdoor pool which was of course closed in February. I did not have the free continental breakfast as I slept until 2 pm on Tuesday after working till 11 pm Monday night and left for home by 8 am on Wednesday morning.

Overall a pleasant experience. I paid $45 per night.

Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

We checked in late and the rooms were not ready....... carpet was brown and black...brown bugs in the bathtub and the room reaked of smoke in a non smoking room......I cried and slept in my car - no kidding......

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
sheboygan,wi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

First arrived after 3pm for advertised 1pm check-in and the room wouldn't be ready for another half-hour.
After finally checking in,we continued to our planned event in the area.Upon returning later, we were greeted to the partying noise through the paper thin walls.After a few hours of this noise we packed up and left in the middle of the night.
If you want to get any sleep don't go here,you'll get more rest at a frat house.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to La Quinta Inn Appleton Fox River Mall Area? Share your experiences!