“Waited 2 hours and told we had a 45 minute wait yet...” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Appleton, WI
“Waited 2 hours and told we had a 45 minute wait yet...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

I'm all for a vibrant business...but I think they should look over their waiting policies. We had heard the food was good, so we called and got on the "call" list for 8pm. We arrived at 7:10, checked in with the hostess, and then waited, and waited, and waited in the extremely overcrowed bar area. The bar, foyer, and in to the restaurant area was packed with people waiting for tables.

We waited until 8:45 and after 2 glasses of wine per piece, checked with the hostess on our reservations. We were told that we had a 45 minute wait yet.

Again, I'm happy to see a business thrive, but disappointed that we couldn't get seated after a 2 hour wait and a "reservation" on the books?! Maybe they shouldn't seat walkins if they have a full house on the books?!?

Carmella, we probably won't be back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Appleton, Wisconsin
“Too LOUD!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

Good food and good service but don't expect a relaxing evening. It is so loud, you must shout to hear the people on your own table--and everybody must do it leading to ever increasing noise levels. My ears hurt at the end of the night. When we told the hostess about it at the end of our night, she said " Yeah, lots of people say that, but we (the restaurant owners) like it." While I liked the food, I would spend my $120 for two people somewhere quiet and romantic.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Frisco, Texas
“Delightful place for Northern Italian rustic flavors in a smart casual setting.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

Enjoyed a very nice dinner at Carmella's tonight. Our fellow reviewer is right - the secret is out and it was a very busy dinner hour on this Wednesday. The room was full and social but not over powering loud -- though some sound baffles way up in the ceiling would help the sound. Service was smart and doing well to manage the tables that varied from a large business gathering to flirtacious tables for two. The menu is right on point with classic Italian service -- antipasti, carne i formaggi (!!!!), first course (primi) second course (secondi) and if you dare -- dolci (their dessert list). Check out their website to tour the menu -- it will get your mouth watering. Wines were varied in the list from mild whites to big reds at moderate prices vs. today's typically over-inflated wine prices. The plates were all hearty, northern Italy fare with good flavor and moderate to generous portion. My heart tried to order both primi and secondi after having an excellint selection of meat and cheese appetizer, but thankfully i tied off with their lamb ragout over locally made spaghetti. Mercy! I will certianly come back for another go at their varied and interesting menu.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“I reviewed the menu and saw about 5...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

I reviewed the menu and saw about 5 things I wanted to try right away. I settled on a great scallop and risotto dish. I will certainly be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tucson, Arizona
“Outstanding food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

This has to be the best restaurant the Appleton area. In fact, for Italian food, only Lombardino's in Madison can compare. The food and the service could not be better. And the exemplary wine list was most reasonably priced. Make a reservation, though. The secret is out.