“BEDBUG ALERT” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Appleton

Super 8 Appleton
You added Super 8 Appleton to your Saves list
Super 8 Appleton
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3624 West College Avenue, Hwy 41 & 125, Appleton, WI 54914   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Appleton
Edina, Minnesota
“BEDBUG ALERT”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

There are bedbugs at this hotel. I spent one night in this hotel on an overnight trip. I phoned the hotel three days later when I developed more than 30 distinctive bed bug bites and asked the manager to check the room. She returned my call, saying she had found bedbugs and the franchise owner was standing "right next to her" as she phoned me from the room I'd stayed in.

With bites all over my face, arms, hands, legs and sides I phoned the Super 8 manager again and asked that they cover the cost of an exterminator inspection of my house to determine if I'd brought bed bugs home from the hotel. The exterminator told me reputable hotels will do this. Instead, the manager adding insult to injury by denying they had bed bugs, completely contradicting herself!

I phoned Wyndham Worldwide, the corporate owner of the Super 8 brand as well as Super 8 Worldwide. Both refused to become involved and said they had no control over the franchise owner.

Only stay here if you want bed bug bites all over you body, insulting treatment from the franchise and corporate owner, as well as possibly having these bugs hitchhike home with you. Wyndham Worldwide says they are the "hospitality industry leader". More like leader in bedbugs and lack of corporate responsibility.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel that does not have bedbugs.
Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Karla R, General Manager at Super 8 Appleton, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
March 12, 2012

We take great precautions at our motel to avoid bedbugs. We have special sprays that we use every four months through out the motel. We also have a company who comes in once a month to keep any other kind of pests out of the motel. Unfortunately bedbugs have become a nusiance throughout the United States. We take the best preventative action to keep them out of our motel.

Karla Roderick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Northern Wis.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We just came back from staying last Wednesday for a business trip down to Appleton.

Checkin fast and smooth
checkout fast ansd smooth

paking lot is well lit and automated locks with slide cards, great if you have little ones .

Had a king room and bedding was great and also a good desk for work space and a mini refrigerator also to keep things cool.

Decor of room was great and appears to be recently remodled.

airconditioning worked very well and was a quiter one of the units

Location is right around where restaraunts are present, like Hu Hot Mongolian

Texas Lone star and of cousrse Mc Donalds.

They offer the continental breakfast, however we had to get traveling back, so we past and stopped along the way.

Access to highway 41 is good for both North and South, just give your self enough time at morning rush hour and evening traffic usually from 3- 6 p.m things start to bottle up down the road due to road construction.

Overall it was great for a Super 8 and we will keep this one our list to return in the future.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

I was SO pleased with our stay. Nice rooms, the beds were comfortable enough, a nice workout area, great location, good continental breakfast, had all the amenities you'd need, and the showers were awesome- they have one of those attachable massage shower head things in there! I've stayed at hotels that cost the same amount per night as we stayed for our two-night stay that had the same quality standards as the Super 8.

The only problem we had was that we stayed in the room closest to the lobby (room 110) which was noisy... so try to NOT get put in that room. The night auditor had a cold and coughed the entire first night, which kept me up late. The second night, the other night auditor had the lobby t.v. playing really loud, but I went out and asked him to turn it down and he was super apologetic and nice about it, so really no complaint there except the location of the room was unfortunate.

I can't believe how nice the Super 8 was. I would definitely recommend this hotel to any of my friends, and would tell them to order Three Brothers pizza from around the corner and to go to the pancake house next door the following morning!

Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
White Pine, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

We should have known something was up when it took the clerk nearly half an hour to check us in, asking for our credit card twice. He insisted that there were no reservations for us, so he wouldnt' be able to give us a lower rate, even though I made them online through Super 8 weeks ago. He kept telling us how "retarded" the computer system was, and didn't offer any information regarding location of vending and ice machines, continental breakfast hours, etc. There was a group of housekeepers on break in the lobby, they were extremely loud and foul-mouthed, complaining about their hours, husbands, kids, etc.
Our room seemed okay at first glance, but upon closer inspection there was mildew in the shower, the toilet was "wobbly" and the toilet paper holder broken. I found a dirty towel hanging on the back of the bathroom door. When we went out to dinner that night, our key cards wouldn't work, and with no apology, just seeming "put out", the clerk issued us new ones. Later that evening, my husband received a phone call from our credit card company, informing him that there had been "suspicious charges" made to the account after we checked in. An order for pizza, "medical supplies", "vitamins", as well as an overcharge for our room. We had not used this credit card for 3 months, and it had a zero balance. We cancelled the card immediately and went to the front desk, but the clerk said we must have just forgotten about using it (the orders were all over the internet, some out of state)! We asked to speak to her supervisor, and we did get a phone call, but she said her employees are all "trustworthy with perfect records" and that we must be mistaken! She made it very clear that she would not pursue the matter, and wanted to make sure we were "still going to pay our bill" since we cancelled our card. Not even a hint of an apology or any attempts to follow up or rectify the situation. The remainder of our stay (and we should have left but everything else in our price range was booked) was horrible, the desk clerks ignored us, the housekeeping staff gave us dirty looks, and the continental breakfast hours were different every day so twice we were too late- at 9 a.m.!. Our second day I was once again locked out of our room, as well as another guest down the hall. We waited for 25 minutes for someone to come to the desk, and when she finally did, she started in on how it's not fair that she has to work the desk and laundry by herself, etc, etc. Once again, no apology.
It was a horrific experience from start to finish......we stayed there a year ago and it was wonderful, so not sure what happened between then and now. Maybe a new owner and staff? What I do know is that we would never, ever stay there again, I don't care if it was the last place on earth.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
March 12, 2012

We have never received any calls from a credit card company reporting credit card fraud. Usually they will call immediately. Also, our motel program does not save the whole number on any credit card, only the last four digits.

Sincerely Yours,

Karla Roderick
Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

I requested a 6:30 AM wake-up call. It never happened. Good thing the walls are so thin that the man snoring in the room next to me woke me up at 4:30 AM. I was unable to get back to sleep, so I was awake at 6:30 anyway. The breakfast area had no tongs for bread, English muffins, doughnuts, etc. so guests were using their bare hands. Very unsanitary. Desk clerk never asked how my stay was. Upon reporting my dissatisfaction, all I got was "sorry" and was told she could not financially compensate mefor my displeasure. She confirmed, however, that no wake-up call had been entered in the system.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
UP
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

Don't have anything good to say about our stay/stays.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2006
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2005

If you are looking for a very reasonable decent place to stay in Appleton this is it. The rooms are clean, staff is friendly and its very close to the mall for shopping. I stay here a couple times a year..rates are usually under 50.00 for a weekend nite..cant beat that!

• Stayed January 2005

Been to Super 8 Appleton? Share your experiences!