“everything great except” 4 of 5 stars

You added Super 8 Antigo to your Saves list
Super 8 Antigo
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   535 Century Avenue, Highway 45, Antigo, WI 54409-2446   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Antigo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Topeka, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was a bit different for me... typically, when I hit a trade show to work, I book my hotel a couple of months in advance after exhaustive research. Well, apparently there are few enough hotels in this town, that my trade show books the rooms for us vendors, so I had no idea where I was going to stay that weekend, literally until about 30 minutes after I arrived at the show.

Luckily, it turns out that it was the same hotel I would have booked myself. Whew! Better this, than the place down the road that has "Yes" in neon lights in place of "Vacancy/No Vacancy" on it's sign.

Overall, the experience was fine. There were no significant issues to address. Here's the list of various observations:

The room was overall fine, everything worked. I liked the fact that they added a power bar right next to the desk, making plugging in my laptop and phone charger easy. I did NOT like that I had to move furniture to plug in my phone charger by the bed, and I had to unplug the alarm clock to get a power socket there. Oh well.

The bathroom was a mixed bag. Kudos for having -more- than enough towels in there... after staying in too many places that skimped on the towels, this was nice. The shower was decent, good temperature, and a variable shower head that actually changes the water spray. Down marks for the "threateningly small" toilet that not only felt like I was poised on top of a child's chair, but required two flushes for anything serious. Boo Hiss! :)

Parking seemed adequate for my needs, even when it was pretty full from all of us vendors showing up.

This is a two story building, and I did not detect an elevator at all. Luckily, I got in there as early as I could to snag a ground floor room.

The ice machine was not too hard to find, produced a good amount of decent ice, and had no annoying "no coolers" signs on it. Yay!

I normally skip breakfast at most hotels, but I checked this one out, mainly because the ice machine was in the same room as the breakfast... and I have to agree with a previous reviewer, the ice puck proteins (sausage and egg patties) are just annoying. If I wanted to cook breakfast myself, I can do that at home. At least I could snag a couple of good bananas.

Also as noted by another reviewer, this hotel features those annoying "in room safes" that they hit you with a buck and a half "convenience fee" per day. Be sure to let them know on checkout that you didn't use the safe, otherwise, you are paying a convenience fee for a very inconvenient item.

The location of this hotel was just down the road from my trade show, so that was nice. Within easy walking distance was a Walgreens (pretty much in the same parking lot), a convenience/gas store, and other stuff. Within 2 blocks, you could hit about any major fast food chain and a Wal-Mart, plus another grocery store. That spells convenience in my book.

The heating/air on this room is regulated by a thermostat on the opposite side of the room from the equipment. They had an AC for summer, and baseboard heaters for winter. It takes the baseboard heaters a bit to catch up when you use them, so keep that in mind if you are not used to them. I never -saw- a baseboard heater before doing shows in Wisconsin, personally, but they do seem to be pretty prevalent up here.

Overall, not a bad experience. Nothing happened that would prevent me from considering this for a future show stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Andy P, General Manager at Super 8 Antigo, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very thankful to you that you found this place clean,comfortable,enjoyable and reasonable. We will definitely look into all your observations and will try to implement one after another. It might not happen in overnight but we will do it as right time comes. There are many things which we are upgrading in all guest rooms. We promise that when you come in October for your next show, you will notice these differences. Again thank you for your feedback and see you in October.
Plymouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Overall not a bad place to stay. For you snowmobilers this hotel is right on the trails and there is a gas station right next store. There is also a couple of restaurants within walking distance. Plenty of parking for trucks and trailers. Could use a few more items on the breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Andy P, General Manager at Super 8 Antigo, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking some time out to post your valuable comments about your stay at Super 8 Antigo. Please note that we will forward your request of getting more breakfast items to Super 8 corporation. Hopefully when you visit us in summer, you will be surprised by seeing more breakfast items. Thank you again and we value your comments.
WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed at the Super 8 in Antigo on business for 4 nights.

Pros: Nice staff (mostly) , decent bed comfort, excellect wifi strength, acceptably clean rooms and the coffee in the breakfast area is really good.

Cons: Before I list the cons, keep in mind this is a Super 8. This is an economy hotel and you get what you pay for. I have stayed in some pretty bad Super 8s over the years and this one is at the upper end of most I have been in. I usually avoid Super 8s like the plague.

The "food" in the breakfast area. I would suggest to management that if the egg and sausage pucks sitting on ice for guests to microwave is the best you can do, skip those and just offer pasteries and fruit.
The room I was in had a deskish table thing but the chair was miserably uncomfortable. Hard to work in your room.
Safe Charge-this is one of those hotels that have a safe in the room and if you dont catch it at checkout, they charge you for it. I didin't even notice the safe in my room. I had to call the hotel after I got back to my office to remove the safe charge. Kind of a pain.
NOISE. There was a kid's hockey tournament in town over the weekend so a lot of families with kids. They ran screaming and hollaring (the kids) up and down the stairs and hallways from 7 am to 10pm. At least sleeping was possible at night but I can't believe parents that let their kids run like that without regard for others, and I was surprised with the desk clerk who shrugged her shoulders when I brought it up. I suppose it's a good weekend for the hotel so they don't want to make those crappy hockey parents mad.
Finally, the lady who checked me out was quite a snot. I needed a zero balance bill and she first tried to give me an estimated charge bill. I was checking out. I need to know what the charge is. She acted irritated she had to do this for me and left a bad impression on my way out. Maybe thats why I got charged for the safe. I think she may be the owners mother or something.

In Conclusion, I would stay here again if I had to but am not compelled to based on my experience. Next time I'll try the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Andy P, General Manager at Super 8 Antigo, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank for your comments about your stay with us. We are very glad to know that you found Super 8 Antigo nice, clean and comfortable.

We also apologize for the noise during hockey weekend and also not getting expected response from staff about it. We will bring this to our staff meting and will make sure that we do take corrective actions on issues like this immediately.

Also, we do serve two different kind fruits along with our other breakfast items everyday. We invite you and your family members for next stay with us and we promise you that we will make your stay memorable and enjoyable. Thank you again.

Been to Super 8 Antigo? Share your experiences!