“Amazing Location and Great Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Casa do Amarelindo

You added Hotel Casa do Amarelindo to your Saves list
Hotel Casa do Amarelindo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua das Portas do Carmo, 06 | Pelourinho, Salvador, State of Bahia 40026-290, Brazil   |
Ranked #2 of 106 Hotels in Salvador
San Francisco, California
“Amazing Location and Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I just come back from having spent 6 nights and 7 days with my partner at this awesome little hotel.

I'm shocked to have read the previous reviewers headline , so let me address that issue before I continue with my review as it bothers me because regardless of how you feel about the hotel, the area where it is sited is absolutely amazingly beautiful and fascinating: She says to avoid any hotels in this neighborhood, the Pelourinho. That's comparable to advising somebody visiting Venice to stay away from any hotel near the Canals or to not stay in a casino when going to Las Vegas! The Pelourinho is a UNESCO World Cultural Center and THE reason to visit Salvador and therefore the best base to explore this fascinating neighborhood. As a result of its history as a nexus between the indigenous people, the portuguese and the slaves that they brought, it possesses a fascinating cultural mix with amazing art in its churches, cathedrals, and cobblestone streets and squares filled with plenty of music (forró, samba, drums) and energy.

I can't quite believe how hyperbolic the previous reviewer is being saying you have a 50/50 chance of being stabbed when you walk out the hotel! That's absolutely ludicrous and if it were true, I'd be dead many times over and lacerated all over my body. The Pelourinho is nowhere near the most dangerous part of town. In fact, it's patrolled by numerous Tourist Police that are posted in almost every corner and for that reason alone you're safer here than just about anywhere else in town. You're pretty much in view of these tourist police officers at all times. As long as you use some common sense by keeping your valuables in the hotel and not venturing out of the areas that contain the numerous restaurants, stores, churches, cultural centers, etc. you'll be just fine. This is a major emerging world city with its associated problems, but use some basic precautions and you'll be just fine.

As for the hotel, we loved it here. We were impressed right from the moment we checked in. We were greeted in a very friendly manner by Alan, who was very informative and helpful. The same can be said about the two other people working the reception desk (Paolo & Marco, I think?). Having travelled in Brazil, service standards are usually pretty disappointing with very apathetic staff even in some of the better establishments, but not here. Everyone was friendly and eager. One of the owners also came out to greet us, and we were introduced to the other one the next day. They were both just as effusive and friendly as the reception workers and very grateful for our stay of 6 nights.

Just a few minutes after we checked into our room, a very tasty tropical fruit platter was sent up to our room as a welcome. We stayed in room #3 (a deluxe room), with an awesome view of the Bahia de Todos os Santos and its many spectacular sunsets from our balcony. The entire property is really tastefully decorated and very charming. Our room was spacious and the bed humungous. It probably fits 4 people no problem. It has Sky TV and a DVD player. I think they have DVDs for you, but we didn't use any. The Wifi worked fine most of the time, with just some brief lapses when it went away. The bathroom is large and has an awesome deep bath tub with jacuzzi style capabilities, as well as a great shower.
The room was in the same level as the swimming pool. It's small but perfect for just a refreshing dip. The pool area also has a bay view and you can have bar service brought to you from it. There's also a rooftop bar where you could also go to view the sunsets.

Breakfast service is very prompt. You can have it anytime from 7am onwards. You get coffee, variations on a platter of fruit, omelette, bread basket, ham, cheese, quiche like cake, etc. All of it delicious. On our last day, we were leaving before 7am to catch our flight and they accommodated us by having an altered service at 6:20am. In the evening, you get turndown service and a couple of small treats are left in your room.

The hotel is in a pedestrian only area (though we had reserved the taxi from the airport thru the hotel and they took us right to the door and and took us back to the airport from the hotel door). They probably won't be able to take you to the door everytime, but you're only about 200 feet away from the Terreiro de Jesus, a big square surrounded by churches and the main cathedral, where the taxis are. They have a seating area with long windows open to the streets. The hotel is in an enchanting cobblestone street that leads down to a big blue church, with its towers seemingly coming out of the street. It's a great view.

There's also a restaurant in the hotel for lunch and dinner. We had dinner twice here and it was great both times.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms with bay views offer great sunset views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed on this property purely and purely based on 'Trip Advisor' reviews. Seldom have I gone wrong, when staying on a unknown property, basis review of trip advisor. This is one occasion, when I went wrong. And I would say, do not be over-awed by the "5 star" ratings, the hotel has on trip advisor.

However, lets me start with the positives first.

1. The two owners are really nice men and they really mean well. They will do everything possible within their means to make your stay plesant. They will go out of the way, to please you and fulfil your wishes.

2. The front desk staff is very polite and helpful. Just like the owners, they will do everything possible to make your stay good and pleasant. They are very very cooperative and do not let the owners down in any way.

3. The bed is really huge. Huge enough for 3 adult people!

4. The bathroom is really big.

Thats it. The positives end here. The two stars given above are for the positives mentioned above.

Lets go to the glitches.

1. The location of the hotel. Its in a very awkward part of the town. For the uninitiated, Pelourinho is the most dangerous neighborhoods of Salvador. I was not aware of it when I booked this hotel. The locals told me! And were they right. I almost got mugged 2-3 times just 10-20 metres from the hotel door! Their are these 10-12 yr old kids moving with sharp knives, very close to the hotel. Their are these drug addicts who are looking for money. And if you do not look Brazilian, you are in for trouble.

The owners try everything possible to help you but yr safety, outside the hotel, is not their duty. If you want to experience getting mugged, stabbed..go and stay in a hotel in Pelourinho. I would strongly suggest avoid ALL hotels in Pelourinho, unless you like to live on the edge!

2. The AC in the room does not cool enough. Maybe it is lack of gas. But whatever it is, the AC took 3-4 hours to bring the temperature down and usualy was never cool enough in the day time. In short, one struggles to sleep in the room in hot days.

3. The internet connection is absolutely horrible. It works sometimes, some times its not working. Plus you still need to connect with a ethernet cable in this day and age instead of a wi-fi. Internet is v important for me and when it does not work well, I just feel the hotel is not worth staying!

4. Lack hot hot water. Though the hot water is supposed to be running, but its not really hot. Its just luke warm. Early in the morning, when you want a hot shower, what you really want is hot water but to no avail.

5. Their are lot of mosquitos in the room which will bite you. I was told this problem is existant in all hotels in Salvador. I beg to disagree. I was bitten by several mosquitos while sleeping in the room.

6. Depending on police presence, usually yr car/taxi is not allowed on the street, the hotel is located. This reders you exposed to various criminals as you walk back to the hotel. The probability of getting stabbed is 50/50.

Keeping all these factors, I feel if one is spending more than 150 usd a night, their are far better options than this in Salvador.

I know the owners will be very upset to read this review cos they are very serious businessmen and try their best but its high time someone wrote a genuine, balanced review here on this property.

Room Tip: Avoid this very dangerous neighborhood.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Amarelindo, Proprietário at Hotel Casa do Amarelindo, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for starting your review with such kind words regarding our team and ourselves. We have a small hotel, and we really want our guests to enjoy their stay as much as possible and this is the reason why we daily keep up-dated all the events in Pelourinho district as we believe our guests are booking at Casa do Amarelindo mainly to enjoy this still authentic district and should go outside.

So, do you really believe that we would give such recommendations to our guests if there was any risk? Trust me, it is a much better business for a hotel to keep his guests in the hotel and restaurant !! Do you believe that we just invested and refurbished our lobby with bar tables facing the street with open windows if the area was like you described it? And if the situation was like you described it, do you really believe that that you would be the first to write such terrible things regarding our hotel and its neighborhoods??? As a respect to the more than 500 guest that put a review before you and that enjoyed both our hotel and Pelourinho, I would say that your point of view seems to be, at least, biased.

Brazil is a complex society, much more complex than at first sight, and, unfortunately you are right, the white and rich elite (your friends?) even from Salvador will tell you that Pelourinho is dangerous, but the truth is that they are talking of an area they don’t visit for decades for being black and popular. They continue talking of a Pelourinho that changed many years ago, and I am very sorry to inform you that statistics of violence are much higher in the “nice” districts of Salvador, and that Pelourinho is for sure, one of the safest part of Salvador with cameras and important police presence just because it is THE postcard of Bahia. So it is true, if someone is expecting a kind of Disneyland, he should rather book in a resort, but as soon as you just behave like normal person, if you admit that showing off your smartphone in the crowd of a concert may not be very clever, nothing never happens.

Now, it is true that you visited us during the more rainy season, but let’s be honest, did you expect to visit a tropical country at that moment with no mosquitoes?? Our rooms are equipped with double glazing windows and usually our guests will keep the windows closed to have the maximum quietness and they don’t have any mosquitoes problem. And would you had mentioned this problem, we could have provided repellent lotion and/or insecticide. Same thing for your air conditioning, in order to solve a possible problem we first must be informed and we are very sorry that you didn’t gave us that chance. Regarding hot water, in order to avoid weak water pressure (gravity is the main system in most places in Brazil), we opted for a pressurized and filtered centralized system. If you are the very first one having a shower in the morning, it may demand a few minutes from the boiler to your room and our receptionists usually mention that on check-in, but again, it is easy to explain as soon as you report it.

So, I will agree with you, this review is letting us sad, but mainly because you booked the wrong place for the wrong reasons. And I will also agree that there are plenty other hotel options in Salvador and for sure I will recommend these places for someone looking for a sanitized surrounding, but in that case, is it still Brazil..??
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

My colleague and I stayed at the hotel for two weeks while on business in Salvador. We loved everything about our time at the hotel. The owners, who live on premises, make you feel at home, and were always responsive to our requests. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the views of the Bay are beautiful. The restaurant offers a wonderful array of dishes and the bars (there are two: one near the restaurant and one on the rooftop) turn out some great drinks, including the signature lime caipirinha! And the location of the hotel right in the middle of the historic district cannot be beat. I would highly recommend the hotel to friends and family and hope to return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The hotel is very comfortable and in a great position. Reception was very helpful and friendly. Then the problems start. Breakfast is served on pre-prepared trays with no choice. There were two or three items that none of us ate and the serving staff couldn't understand our problem. In the evening we ordered four drinks at the bar; two were wrong and one never arrived. The next morning I asked for coffee prior to breakfast twice and I didn't get it. We realised that none of the staff other than reception could speak any English (or French/Spanish/German). At the end of our stay we politely told the owner about our problems - wasted food and poor service. His response was that the food wasn't wasted because the staff would eat things left on the trays !!!! and that he couldn't afford better qualified staff and would like to close the restaurant. All in all he was arrogant and didn't care about what we said.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Amarelindo, Proprietário at Hotel Casa do Amarelindo, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
We would like first to thank you for your kind words regarding the high level of comfort of our hotel and its great location.
We deeply regret that you were not satisfied one night at the bar, for a mistake in your order, and during breakfast, for excess of served food. As soon as you informed me that morning, we had a meeting with our waiters regarding what happened, to avoid the repetition of such incident, which not corresponds at all to our standards of quality of service.
Then I will have to apologize twice, first because it seems that the apologize I made when we discussed during your breakfast regarding the lack of service have not been noticed (must be my French accent..) and second because I didn’t realize how much my answers have been misunderstood. My arguments to your concerns may have seen sharp but I must say I felt the way you tried to explain me how our breakfast should be made quite arrogant too. This being said, I did pay attention to your words. I really understood your concerns and did agree with some of your arguments, but our breakfast formula has been defined to please the largest majority of our guest, and in fact it does if you refer to the general comments on TripAdvisor. Yes, our breakfast is one-of-a-kind fixed formula and served to the table. No it is not à-la-carte and neither a buffet (does a buffet really waste less??). The counterpart to this breakfast formula is that our guests are entitled to request their breakfast at the moment of their choice, no need to wake-up, you can have it at noon or at 3:00 PM ! Why did we choose such a breakfast formula? Just because Pelourinho area can be with a lot of night life and that we believe our guest should be given the option to wake-up late and still enjoy their breakfast. I also believe important to remember that we are a small structure with only 10 rooms and not a luxury hotel and we will have to make sure that our partners are aware of that and that highly demanding customers should be offered the adequate option and may be not a small hotel de charme like ours. At the end, we are sure that TripAdvisor’s readers will give the adequate weight to what we believe to be quite a severe whipping for a simple breakfast conversation.
By side, I would like to also mention that Brazil in general has this problem of having very little employees speaking foreign languages including in luxury properties. Again just refer to the comments on TripAdvisor including palaces and gastronomic restaurants!! At Casa do Amarelindo, we are 3 receptionists and 2 owners living and working in the hotel (meaning more than 20% of the staff !!) able to speak English, Spanish, French, Portuguese and a bit of Italian. This Multilanguage staff is available to help our guests at any moment during their stay, if asked for. Why didn’t you simply ask for our assistance?
Again I apologize very much for missing my goal when explaining my arguments, especially because I did really understood yours. My big mistake was certainly to say frankly that there is no perfect formula and to be honest with you.
ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This hotel is so beautiful and comfortable! We felt very pampered during our stay. The rooms are excellent, and the breakfast is top notch. Great location to see the historic part of Salvador. The staff is extremely attentive and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Perfect location in the historic center, very nice and helpfull staff, charming and clean rooms.
The owners being french and speaking both portugese and english is so helpfull.
You really fell at home!
We had a great stay.

Andrée & Charles

Room Tip: We had a regular room for 1 night and a deluxe for the rest of our stay. The deluxe has a view on t...
Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Beringen, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Thanks to Tripadvisor we choose this hotel. The location is perfect except for the people who come for a great swimming pool(Salvador has other more important things to do!); the hotel is really excellent from the moment you enter: they pay attention to their clients who are at home! the rooms are nice, the details of the decoration in the hotel are done with taste. So is the food of the hotel as well as the caipirinha and great payable wines they serve. A place to recommend!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Casa do Amarelindo? Share your experiences!