“If you want to learn you cannot miss Dialogo” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 68 Activities in Salvador
Type: Classes/Workshops, Classes
More attraction details
Owner description: Portuguese language courses, including accommodation, transfer,cultural excursions and lectures, Capoeira, Samba, Salsa, Gastronomy, Yoga and Surfing. Special Programs for universities, organizations, volunteering and internship.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“If you want to learn you cannot miss Dialogo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I had excellent teachers. Acommodation was excellent! I cannot thank Dialogo enough for my confidence with Portuguese now! thanks all

Visited June 2013

İstanbul, Türkiye
“think twice before you go”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I spent three months in salvador to learn the portuguese, and this school was the biggest mistake i've ever done because their teachers were not enough to teach the language, even most of them didn't graduate from the branch of teacherness from their university. after three months i had to go back to my country which poor portuguese thanks to them

Visited January 2013
NYC
“Great school in a gorgeous city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I enjoyed the class experience and was able to make considerable improvements in Portuguese. Group classes were engaging. They had no more than five-seven students, at least for the time I was there. Individual lessons in the afternoon may be not as efficient because their 50 minutes go fast and because not always objectives are met.
More efforts can be put in delivering a clear information regarding classes. Although I had paid for individual classes in the afternoon, I was told that my second week I may end up without them because of lack of professors. I ended up having the classes anyway, but not at the time I expected.
Particular emphasis should be given on assisting students with getting involved into activities outside the school where to meet and socialize with other Brazilians, very important for practicing the language. The Capoeira and Dance classes at the school cannot and do not fulfill that need.
Outside activities would be particularly helpful because people in Salvador, at least the ones I met, are not reliable when it comes to social relations. If they tell you they would meet you, they either show up one or more hours later or never show up at all. They may give you their phone numbers and emails but never reply to your emails nor answer your calls. For example, one teacher at Dialogo school, who graciously gave us the students her email, never replied to any of the emails I sent her.
Maybe it is just part of the local culture. I find Salvador the most beautiful city in Brasil in every sense, but the motto for everything seems to be "Calma!", the pace of life is "devagar", and the goal for many of its people is a daily "Carnaval".
Overall though the experience at Dialogo was a positive one and a fun one. And what I learned there helped me to pass the Portuguese test I had in the US for my company. So thank you, Dialogo! :-)

Visited January 2013
Dunkerque, France
85 attraction reviews
“Portuguese teached by students with no degree yet ....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

As I was coming to Brazil for 6 months, I thought it would be a good idea to refresh my basic knowledge of Portuguese. I choose Diálogo but still wonder if that was the best choice. There were 3 levels. I was too good for the basic level, so I jumped into the middle class. We we're 7 and unfortunately I was the weakest element. The teacher missed the skills to have attention for ALL of us. She was very young, as she didn't even had her university language degree yet. Quite weird, but that's how Diálogo works. The teachers ars just doing for a few weeks or months a student job. Afterwards, they are replaced by new teachers. No wonder, their approach is rather empirical. The interests of my teacher were also rather limited. 'Brands' (Marcas) were her main passion. I'm sure teachers with more maturity and experience would be able to help ALL of the students from a small group.
Besides of that, the website promises a lot of activities, all of them included in the price, but that was absolutely not the case. We always had to pay extra.
Group lessons were from 9 to 12.30 and one week was 550Rs.

Anyhow, a careful selection of your homestay family is already half of the language training. For that reason, avoid hostels and pousadas with few Brazilians and many foreigners. After all, it's practice you need, not English or Portinhol ;-)

Visited February 2012
Cleveland
“Best learning experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I spent two weeks at Dialogo in Salvador in the spring of 2012. I have 19 years of formal education and completed two post-graduate certification programs but Dialogo was the best learning experience I have had. The facility is clean, comfortable, safe, and well-maintained. The curriculum is appropriately designed. The teachers are capable, motivated, innovative, and adapt to the students' needs. The administration is organized, efficient, and friendly.

I learned everything that I was ready to learn at Dialogo. Money well spent and time well spent.

Visited April 2012

Been to Dialogo Brasil? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Dialogo Brasil, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.