“We only wish we could have stayed longer!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maguire's Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manaus
Maguire's Guesthouse
You added Maguire's Guesthouse to your Saves list
Rua Modolva, 28, Manaus, State of Amazonas 69.022-135, Brazil   |
Ranked #6 of 34 Manaus B&B and Inns
Charleston, SC
“We only wish we could have stayed longer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

Thanks to TripAdvisor’s outstanding Traveler Reviews, my husband and I (and another couple) stayed two nights at Maguire’s Guesthouse after our cruise ship docked recently in Manaus. We only wish we could have stayed longer! If you would like a truly authentic and memorable glimpse of life at the edge of the rainforest, this is the place for you.

The owners, Clive (Irish) and Naice (Brazilian), live (with their adorable young son and three dogs) in a lovely home which provides two guest rooms as well as a beautifully landscaped garden with a pretty gazebo and pool. Breakfast here is a real treat – especially the freshly made pancakes, cheese and fruit pastries, unusual (to us) local fruit juices, and wonderful, strong Brazilian coffee. We stayed in the larger room which was extremely bright and comfortable with its queen bed, AC, TV, mini-fridge, immaculate bathroom, and great view of the lush jungle foliage outside the large windows.

Clive has a motor boat to take guests on river excursions at moderate cost. We (and our travel companions) had a glorious ride on the Taruma tributary of the Rio Negro out to a former rubber plantation (now turned museum) where we learned everything we ever wanted to know about life during the rubber boom days. It was one of the highlights of our whole Amazon adventure.

Our hosts were warm, welcoming, helpful, and kind beyond words. As others have said – they provide free airport transfers and rides to and from nearby restaurants and Ponta Negra – always with a friendly smile and enlightening conversation. Clive made our arrival in Manaus so pleasant and easy when he came to the port to transport our luggage (along with that of our friends) to his home so that we could enjoy lunch and some of the sights in the city. Keep in mind that the guesthouse is 30-40 minutes from the city center, and that is precisely what makes it so attractive! For a couple of days we were able to share and enjoy family life with wonderful people who live in the middle of the Amazon and truly love it. There could be no finer travel experience to treasure and remember – and hopefully repeat – as we continue to explore our beautiful world.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

NY/NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

I came across this pousada solely by luck.

I had planned to stay a day in the region to wined down and relax with hopes of seeing the waters, enjoying/learning about the Amazon, and meeting with a friend of mine all within a short period of time. Upon my late arrival into Manaus and being hassled by a bunch of drivers I felt a sense of instantaneous relief after meeting Clive. A quick talk about my requested plans for the following day and the short trip from the airport was finished.

Dropping my belongings off in the master guestroom, my expectations were surpassed. Room was large, clean, and welcoming. Clive had asked if I would enjoy a drink with him and I excitedly accepted. An excellent chat with Clive and a look down at the time (which I had obviously lost track of) I hit the shower and passed out.

I following morning I enjoyed a huge amazing breakfast and was happy to hear Clive was able to reschedule a meeting he had in his agenda that day to fill my request of spending some time on the water. The grounds around the guesthouse are cool and unique. Naice and Clive even let me use their phone to contact a friend (rental did not work in Manaus) as well as using their translation abilities (my Portuguese is not the best haha). Then everything was set and it was off to the water.

From what I understand there is an endless amount of tours you can take on waters. From what I know now I would not recommend any other but the one provided by the “Shamrock”. Being able to navigate close to the river banks was amazing (something a large river boat can not provide). Meeting of the Waters, dolphins, Lago Janauari, family of Squirrel monkeys, lunch at a floating river resteraunt Rainha da Selva, a swim at a beach across from Ponta Nerga, and skol was nothing short of a amazing experience. Clives knowlegde of the area was impressive and it was fun to see that during the several hours out on the rivers, it was almost that Clive enjoyed it more then I did !

After almost staying in the city, I was a 100% happy I had come across this guesthouse. Beautiful, extremely clean, and having a charm I have never experienced at a guesthouse before, Naice and Clive are amazing hosts. I use that term lightly too because of the whole hearted family feeling you receive from them. I cannot thank you enough for a perfect memory and I look forward to coming back one day.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

My wife and I spent two nights at their guesthouse. The best B&B we have ever stayed in.
The owners went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our stay. Each evening Naice drove us to a nearby restaurant and stayed with us until she explained the menu for us. After we ordered she gave us her cell phone and told us to call her when we were finished with dinner and she would pick us up for the return trip to the Guesthouse. Spending a day with Clive on his boat, the Shamrock , was an additional treat. He took us to the meeting of the waters and we had lunch at a nice restaurant situated on a nearby lake. A fun experience with great people.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

In one word, "WOW". Clive and Naice are the nicest, most accommodating hosts ever. From the welcome caipirinha cocktails (after a 4.5 hour commute from the jungle lodge) to the drop off service at the airport, this B&B is fabulous. We were in the deluxe room which was everything anyone needs. Air-conditioned, large shower, TV, fridge etc. Breakfast in the morning was enough to feed an army and included every possible option. Clive's pancakes were superb! Clive and Naice could not have been nicer. On the night we arrived, we were taken to a local restaurant and they even picked us up when we were done. The dogs were great too. Couldn't believe we found a miniature schnauzer (Ozzie) to play with since we missed our little one while we were away. We hated to leave and felt like old friends when we had to part. The service is second to none here. If you are looking for a clean B&B with every possible ammenity and service that cannot be beat, then this is the place for you. Our only regret is that we could only stay one night! Thanks to Clive and Naice for a very memorable experience.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

If after reading the previous reviews you think a place can't be this good: believe me, it can. I stayed 3 nights at the guesthouse, two before and one after a trip upriver the Rio Negro. And yes it is clean, quiet, safe and beautiful.
But what made staying there such a wonderful experience was the incredible and genuine care I received from Clive and Naice. Too many details to mention, but maybe this example says it all: I had planned a trip with a local bus to Novo Airao. Not only was I brought to the bus station at 5:30 AM by Clive (after having picked up other guests from the airport at 2AM the same night), he spent half an hour waiting with me until the ticket booth opened, making sure I got a ticket, and found the right bus to step on.
Or what to say about a 2 hours boat trip to the rubber museum that was spontaneously extended with lunch on a beach, a swim in the Amazon and a speed-boat driving lesson?
Go there. Good things will happen to you.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

Imagine 14 hours of flights & arrival before 5 AM in the dark, & being greeted by Clive, who made me feel like I was going to visit with friends. They are located near the airport as well, which means an easy, short drive.

The clean rooms (air conditioned) & well maintained spacious grounds (& in-ground pool, which I did not partake in enjoying) were like a breathe of Spring for someone who left a winter climate. Their home reminded me of friends' homes in Bermuda, with their place being the nicest I've seen. I stayed in the 2nd guest room, twin bedded with a separate bath/shower, & small hallway with a fridge & coffee/tea service for my exclusive use.

Later, the other guests & I took a City tour with local color provided by Naice, ate at a local fast food place, bought sunscreen and other needed items. That night we were all treated to a sumptuous New Year's Eve celebration with friends. My 2nd day I relaxed in a hammock & enjoyed the wildlife that came by & played with their three dogs: Otto, Toto, & Kelley. I photographed many different birds & a gecko on the grounds.

A week later I returned once again to stay, & went with Naice downtown again to get another suitcase & see the inside of the Opera House. They accommodated my diet restrictions, provided company, conversation, fun & space to relax when needed.

I found out about Maguire's Guest House from prior visitors, who were friends of an acquaintance. I saved hundred of dollars on my trip by not using the supposedly 5 star hotel recommended by my travel firm as part of my boat trip package on the Amazon.

But one of the best parts of my trip was meeting my hosts and getting to know them, something you don't get from a hotel!

My only regret: not staying longer. My wish: to return to visit with them again in a year or so, & partake in one or more of Clive's Amazon area tours that he offers on his boat.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Saint Helena Island, SC, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

Stayed at this Guest House late December and felt at home. Great hosts, very hospitable and helpful, nice, clean, roomy accomodations, near beach and Military Zoo (which I enjoyed). Wholeheartedly recommend this place if you are visiting Manaus, to Clive and Naice, it was nice meeting you and hope to stay at your wonderful place again sometime.

BRUCE AND DEBRA HOFFMAN, Saint Helena Island, South Carolina, USA

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Maguire's Guesthouse? Share your experiences!