“Who'da Thunk It?” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Alma
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We serve breakfast and lunch and are knowen for our omelets, potato pancakes and all our smoked meats and fish
Onalaska, Wisconsin
“Who'da Thunk It?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

It IS called Pier 4 Cafe & Smokehouse...but when I heard "Pier 4" I sorta forgot about the ampersand that added "Smokehouse" to the name...I hear a restaurant with 'pier' in its name, I'm thinking seafood--but if you want some meaty, tender dry rub ribs with 3 homemade sauces (sweet, mild & tangy) you will want to give it a try. AND the coleslaw is not simply the 'blah' white stuff; it has that great vinegary taste that's to die for! I felt that the potato salad, which rounded out the $9.75 special, while ok, was not exactly noteworthy. The portions are more than adequate for the price. And I'll try and save room for their lemon merangue pie next time! The service: we had a young teenager as our server. He was polite, efficient, and lent a charm to this 'real Wisconsin' dining establishment. To quote that old Scwartzenager line: "I'll be back!"

• Visited September 2013

Arizona
“Great staff but not so great food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Our group (10) stopped here on our way to LaCrosse and liked the setting, liked the staff working at the restaurant, and it felt like a real trendy, hip place to eat. Unfortunately, the hype about the "smokehouse" food was a big let down. It's hard to buck the "trendy" good reviews of this place but I've got to be real and tell it like it was. My pork ribs were some of the worst I've tasted, BBQ sauce was watery and the meat was like it was reheated after sitting for a few days. Others had the pulled pork sandwich, all said they have had much better. The potato pancakes and bread pudding were well liked however. Let me repeat, the staff there were great people, and we enjoyed them very much. I know many reviewers fall into the trendy hype of things, but not me.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
“Great Barbque in Wisconsin ?!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Praised by my brother, the best BBQ in 400 miles, but a 5 hour motorcycle ride to find out ? I will do this trip again soon . Imagine real BBQ in WI. No sauce needed here. Everything we had was fresh. The ribs were meaty, and done just right, but what about the brisket ? The brisket is their shining star. Stack's in KC has nothing on this restaurant. And the staff were very friendly, & accommodating. I would go back just to laugh and joust with the staff. Sincerely if you are looking for the best BBQ around, head to Alma WI. and follow your nose to a great find. Pier 4 Café.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great service and awesome potato pancakes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Nice view of the river. Very friendly staff and a larger than expected menu selection. Potatoe cakes are worth a return trip.

jgjacksonmn
“Amazing BBQ on the river road!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Homey, culture soaked ambience and dining right on the river. Burgers and fries for the traditionalists seemed OK, but we went straight to the smokehouse specialties - Brisket and pulled pork with a basket of custom sauce choices. Simply Fabulous! And the mixed berry bread pudding - to die for - especially with a drizzle of maple syrup. I especially loved the hanging duck boat and decoys! A nice treat on the way north from Winona! And did I mention that five adults got their fill for under $50!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere