“Great staff but not so great food.” 2 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 5 restaurants in Alma
Arizona
“Great staff but not so great food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Our group (10) stopped here on our way to LaCrosse and liked the setting, liked the staff working at the restaurant, and it felt like a real trendy, hip place to eat. Unfortunately, the hype about the "smokehouse" food was a big let down. It's hard to buck the "trendy" good reviews of this place but I've got to be real and tell it like it was. My pork ribs were some of the worst I've tasted, BBQ sauce was watery and the meat was like it was reheated after sitting for a few days. Others had the pulled pork sandwich, all said they have had much better. The potato pancakes and bread pudding were well liked however. Let me repeat, the staff there were great people, and we enjoyed them very much. I know many reviewers fall into the trendy hype of things, but not me.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
“Great Barbque in Wisconsin ?!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Praised by my brother, the best BBQ in 400 miles, but a 5 hour motorcycle ride to find out ? I will do this trip again soon . Imagine real BBQ in WI. No sauce needed here. Everything we had was fresh. The ribs were meaty, and done just right, but what about the brisket ? The brisket is their shining star. Stack's in KC has nothing on this restaurant. And the staff were very friendly, & accommodating. I would go back just to laugh and joust with the staff. Sincerely if you are looking for the best BBQ around, head to Alma WI. and follow your nose to a great find. Pier 4 Café.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great service and awesome potato pancakes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Nice view of the river. Very friendly staff and a larger than expected menu selection. Potatoe cakes are worth a return trip.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
jgjacksonmn
“Amazing BBQ on the river road!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Homey, culture soaked ambience and dining right on the river. Burgers and fries for the traditionalists seemed OK, but we went straight to the smokehouse specialties - Brisket and pulled pork with a basket of custom sauce choices. Simply Fabulous! And the mixed berry bread pudding - to die for - especially with a drizzle of maple syrup. I especially loved the hanging duck boat and decoys! A nice treat on the way north from Winona! And did I mention that five adults got their fill for under $50!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Madison, Wisconsin
“Bad burger”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Disapointed in the burger and was sick with 10 minutes of eating it. They do not give the attention to the full menu. The pork is it...if you love really strong smoke taste this is the place. Me not so much. I ordered a burger it's my way of testing a restaurant. If they make it homemade, fresh, and with love, If i enjoy and do not get sick... Its a bonus. My stomach is the test of good or bad in our family. This was bad and cramp space.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Been to Pier 4 Cafe & Smokehouse? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Pier 4 Cafe & Smokehouse, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.