“Wow..... History!! ” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Cultural
11 attraction reviews
“Wow..... History!! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

It's got some great history behind it and a wonderful place. Plenty of places to go investigate and if you enjoy walking a plus.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Camden, Australia
79 attraction reviews
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Easy to get to by public bus from Sarande. The site is natural and in a beautiful and peaceful location. Information is good. 700 leke to enter. A site you can take your time around and allow imagination to run wild. I was there in off season so almost had site to myself. Highlights are the basilica, theatre and triconch palace. Museum is wort a visit and good views of area from the venetian palace.

A great site, thoroughly enjoyed it!

Visited November 2013
Devon, England
51 attraction reviews
“A memorable day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We did the trip from Corfu organised by Saris cuises as used by Thomsons. The ferry crew were efficient and professional. A guide being supplied on board to point out landmarks and what to expect when we ,landed at Sarande Port. The ferry has a comfortable lounge if you don't wish to brave the elements on deck as well as a bar, snacks, tea coffee etc and loos. On arrival at Sarande we were efficiently whisked through passport control onto busses according to language spoken. TThe journey takes about an hour and a half to Butrint , during which our excellent young Albanian guide Lola told us about Albania, its history and people. she led us through the ruined city explaining the details as we went . I have never seen such an extensive ancient 'city' such as this before. It was well preserved and clearly is still needing more archaeological research over the decades but it's history came alive through Lola. I was unable to climb the 183 steps to the top but my husband did and enjoyed the views and the museum there. I retraced my steps back to the entrance where I bought bracelets from one of the lads there.Tthey were not begging but selling bracelets made by 'Mama' I was reliably informed by Alexander, a young lad who spoke excellent English for his young age. He also told me that he went to school for 3 hours a day starting at 8am which was why he could sell bracelets at the gates of Butrint T 11.30AM. Back at the restaurant, where we had an excellent Albanian buffet; Albanian souvenirs were also for sale at very reasonable prices. Local workers have formed themselves into a co-operative to sell their handmade articles and souvenirs to tourists so it is worthwhile supporting them in a country where unemployment is very high. Again back at Sarande there were more stalls, I bought some beautiful hand crocheted items from an old lady who had made them herself; everything was very cheap, I am using some of them( those that I could part with!) as Christmas gifts, I wouldn't be able to buy similar gifts over here for the same prices. When you visit Butrint do support the local people they are not begging, just trying to earn a living. We only encountered one woman with baby who was actually begging at Sarande. This was a truly memorable day to a country that has only emerged from its past in the past decade.

Visited October 2013
London
“Don't miss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Really impressive site and location. Beautiful unspoilt scenery even if you aren't a fan of old ruins this is a wonderful place to visit. eAsy to get to by public bus from Saranda.

Visited October 2013
Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina
3 attraction reviews
“Culture at its best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

wonderful place to see all from ancient to medieval culture. make sure to visit also the museum on the small castle inside the sight.

Visited August 2013