“Excellent hostel for travelers” 4 of 5 stars

You added Backpackers SR to your Saves list
Backpackers SR
Rruga Mithat Hoxha Nr10, Lagja 4, Saranda 7500, Albania   |
New York City, New York
“Excellent hostel for travelers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

This place is great if you're backpacking in Albania. The owner is *so* helpful - he would literally walk us somewhere when we asked him for directions. He never tried to sell you tours - he just explained the best way to do things, even if it meant taking the local bus. If you're coming from Corfu, you really couldn't pick a better starting off point for Albania.

The place itself is basic, but we weren't expecting anything super nice in Albania. There is no aircon and just one bathroom for everyone, but they make it work. I can't imagine you'd find something better for a similar price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

As a solo traveller I found this hostel to be one of the more social places to stay in my three weeks of traveling. Tomi definitely helps with this by arranging group dinners which are a nice way to meet people. Lovely breakfasts cooked by Tomi.
This place is very central and well located although I imagine it would be quite difficult to find. Fortunately Tomi found me when walking on the street with my bags and asked if I was looking for his place.
Only negative would be the one bathroom between all the guests.

Overall would definitely recommend.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Great hostel with amazing owner Tomi who goes out of his way to help EVERYONE! Great refreshments, map and local info on arrival. 5 minute walk from "out of town " bus station and right next to a local bus stop that can take you straight to the Butrant national park.

Tomi also went to the bus station with us and made sure we got the right tickets onto Athens. On top of this he also made sure we had some breakfast as we were leaving early the next morning!

• Stayed September 2013
Neu-Delhi, Indien
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

If you're travelling with kids, don't even think about checking in there. The hostel as such was quite ok, clean enough and in a convenient location. But I absolutely had the feeling that it was somehow not ok with Tomi (the owner) that we stayed there, though he gave my son and me a bed. It seemed to be alright at first, since there were no other guests, but suddenly a guy showed up the same evening, and there were two more guests the next evening. Tomi should have said outright in the beginning that children aren't welcome - which they don't seem to be. That's ok, I would have moved on to Ksamil or looked for another place in Saranda, since I wasn't desperate or anything, I just heard good things about SR Backpackers and so I enquired. End of the story: we stayed for a bit longer than we thought at first, and on our last eveing when I came back with and injured knee from Butrint, which was swollen and red, and continued to be swollen and blue during most of the trip and caused me medical treatment for weeks after I returned home - in that situation Tomi finally made a move and cam eout with the truth: that my boy was disturning and I should have kept him in our room if other guests were in the common room.... figure that. if ayone thinks my son is a monster kid, far from that, he's your average jolly cute toddler who might sometimes whine a little, but is otherwise rather calm, compared with other children the same age. So, great news, I packed immediately and wished I had known this fact before - I wouldn't have stayed for 3 nights, cause I know my money to spend in a better way than in a place where we're not wanted.
as I said, the hostel is alright, but Tomi should also mention that what sounds like a casual dinner "I'm making fish tonight, would you like some?" is a dinner you pay for, even if you only get to eat the fish later and cold and the salad is already finished by others... and you pay what you might pay in a low priced Albanian restaurant for a whole warm meal. Curious, our money was welcome, we were not. Just so you know, parents with small children - avoid this place. For others I think it's ok.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

It is spotlessly clean, in a great location and a great value. What more can you ask for? Oh yes, the other travelers were wonderful. Great wifi and laundry too, though i did not use the laundry. Cooked eggs and sausage for breakfast - very welcome. Highest recommendation for this place!

• Stayed May 2013
saranda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

As a long term resident of Saranda, I have got to know the owner of Backpackers SR, Tomi, over several years.
As a British person, I inevitably find certain aspects of life different in Albania - something that Tomi is sensitive too. With this in mind, we never finish a conversation without him saying, "Do you need help of any kind?" Trust isn't easily won, but anybody reading this whose wondering where to stay in an unknown land can be sure that under Tomi's roof you will find security, kindness and a genuinely warm welcome.

Richard Welch

Room Tip: Trust Tomi to give you the best room available
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I spent two nights here in March 2010, and had almost the whole place to myself. It's basic but clean, the staff are friendly, and the location and view from the balcony are excellent: it's right on the waterfront and close to shops and transport.
Definitely recommendable as a hostel.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view. :)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Backpackers SR? Share your experiences!