“Beautiful Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 43 Saranda B&B and Inns
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Beautiful Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

We didn't book any accommodation before we went to Sarande as my partner assured me there were plenty of Hotels! I was slightly concerned, however trusted his judgement. We came across Villa Duraku which I spotted from the beginning of the promenade, it is located next to Hotel Burinti, which I would say is probably one of the most popular Hotels to stay in Sarande. I was drawn to the Hotel because of the beautiful exterior, the Hotel is very new maybe only a couple of years old if that. The Bedrooms are a good size, very clean, good bed and a small balcony onto the amazing view of the sea. We really enjoyed our two night say there and would recommend it, there is a lovely Restaurant just across the road for a quick bit to eat or a leisurely lunch or dinner. The only downside which was mentioned in a previous review was the noise that we could hear from the club which is the only thing letting the Hotel down. We didn't complain as I can sleep through anything but for light sleeper obviously this is abit of a downfall. The breakfast was lovely, with a good variety of bacon, eggs, sausage, tomatoes, with cheese,breads fruits etc. The staff were also very helpful and welcoming, beware the do not speak much English!I would stay here again though!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

My wife and I booked a prepaid tour of Albania. The tour company and the guide were excellent and the hotels we stayed were first class except one, the Hotel Vila Duraku in Sarande.
We were booked to stay in the hotel Vila Duraku on our last evening in Albania. At about 10:00 p.m. the double-glazed windows in our room started vibrating from very loud music from the pool area below. I got dressed and went downstairs to see the manager and asked him if he could lower the music so that we can get some sleep. He refused saying that that evening was a Karaoke night for teenagers and he would not do it.
When I told him that I booked a hotel to sleep his reply was "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT HERE GO TO ANOTHER HOTEL! "
When I told him that I had already paid for the night at the hotel (part of the package) his reply was: "I DID NOT SEE ANY CASH FROM YOU". When my wife joined me reiterating our complaint, he was insulting and he would not give her her passport (which had been withheld for registration) UNLESS SHE PRODUCED CASH. He eventually returned it.
Then he ordered a porter to go and remove our luggage from our room and bring them down.
I called our Albanian guide (a wonderful person), got him out of bed (it was midnight by then) and explained to him the situation. He came promptly to the hotel and spoke to the manager. He then got in contact with the owner of the hotel in Tirana, the capital, who in turn called the manager and told him to turn off the music. By then it was too late, it was 1:00 in the morning and the music had stopped.
Our guide asked the manager to apologise to us, but his reply was: "MY ENGLISH IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO DO THAT" and he sat down to watch television, ignoring all of us as if we did not exist.
The next morning, the day of our departure, we went to the "restaurant" for breakfast. Nothing was set up or prepared. There was a single cook in the kitchen who only spoke Albanian and she eventually produced a couple of sliced tomatoes, some cheese and bread and two cups of coffee.

We were eventually picked up by our guide for departure and WE RECEIVED NO APOLOGY FROM THE MANAGEMENT OR THE OWNER OF THE HOTEL.

I am a world traveller. I have travelled for 50 years and have been to 52 countries the world over, but I have never had such a terrible and humiliating experience anywhere, EVER.

The hotel VILA DURAKU in Sarande, despite its prime location and amenities, is a place to be avoided at all costs. Clients are on the bottom of their list. VILA DURAKU should be given a wide berth.

Been to Vila Duraku? Share your experiences!