“Some great view of the mountains in the distance” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 stars 148 Reviews
Type: Parks, Outdoors
Pretoria, South Africa
20 attraction reviews
“Some great view of the mountains in the distance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

The are some great photographs to be had in the park - went near dusk and the gateways with the mountains in the backdrop were just fantastic. There is a great little shop in the centre of the park with some nice souvenirs

Visited April 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Dumas, Texas
8 attraction reviews
“Very serene and peaceful. Very unforgetable and would love to go back anytime again soon.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

To see the beauty of this country was unlike no other. I feel I could go by myself and felt very safe. The people of Japan are very polite and warm. I loved the old architecture.

Visited April 2011
California
18 attraction reviews
“best thing to see in Hirosaki”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

I visited in early October, which was too early for the fall foliage, but the park and castle grounds were still amazing to walk around. Once inside, you don't feel like you are even in a city anymore, at some points you couldn't even see Hirosaki Castle.

I wish I could have seen it during cherry blossom season, but the trees and natural scenery, was still extremely beautiful.

Visited October 2011
Singapore, Singapore
10 attraction reviews
“Gorgeous during Autumn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

Visited in Nov and was lucky to catch the end of the koyo peak. Gorgeous gorgeous grounds; peaceful & quiet; loads of locals taking an evening stroll. Fabulous photo spot in Hirosaki Park on the bridge in front of the Hirosaki Castle - and you don't even need to pay to get access to that spot! (You will need to pay an entrance fee to get to the castle grounds, the borders of which start a mere 20m away from that spot.)

Suggest staying til evening, when the castle grounds are lit up.

Visited November 2010
Melbourne, Australia
37 attraction reviews
“Hirosaki Snow Lantern Festival is truly spectacular! 10/10”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

Hirosaki Park holds the Hirosaki Snow Lantern festival ever year in February (It's also in the Castle grounds within the Park). It's in my top 2 favourite Japan experiences of all time! You're reading this because you are probbaly already going to Hirosaki. I think it would be amazing at cherry blosom time or autumn too, but at snow lantern festival time it is truly spectacular! Seriously consider this time of year! And if you're at the Sapporo festival, make sure you stop off on the way South!

It is a must see and I was blown away! We were there on the 13th Feb (I think it went from 10th feb - 13th feb in 2011). I had just been to the 2011 Sapporo snow festival as well as the Otaru one, and Hirosaki was by far the best!

We got there fairly late and it was dark already. I'd go there late afternoon so you saw it all with some light and watch the sun go down. It's all about the nightime lights though, so ensure you stay there until after dark. We pretty much got kicked out when it ended (at around 9/10pm I think?). Potentially why we saw hardly any people?

It was snowing lightly when we entered which was beautiful. The park & castle grounds have what seem like hundreds of lanterns that have colourful art in them (see pics). It was pretty much empty and we didn't see that many people. There were certainly no crowds at all (unlike the very crowded Sapporo & Otaru festivals). They had traditional music playing softly over loudspeakers, coupled with the light soflty falling snow, the lanterns and lack of people, it was a truly magical and surreal experience that we will never forget!

Looking down from the castle you stumble across a valley of small igloo like huts (called kamakura) containing lights. Amazing! (see pic). Then we found an area with heaps of pink fairy lights that were amazing. It ended with a walk through an area with Japanese artwork on both sides. It just never ended and they were all spectacular and varied.

We didn't see any normal festival street food or stalls, but I assume this is because we were there later at night (as opposed to during the day or around dinner-time) or because it was the last night?

I cannot recommend Hirosaki Park enough, especially during the Snow Lantern Festival. Here's a website outlining the main 5 snow festivals in Japan - http://www.jnto.org.au/tips_detail.php?id=8

FYI, incase you're interested, the other of the top 2 experiences in Japan is Kodai-ji in Kyoto when it is lit up at night. Truly amazing too. A must do when in Kyoto.

Visited February 2011