“It exist!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kawachi Fujien

Kawachi Fujien
2-2-46 Kawachi, Yawatahigashi-ku, Kitakyushu, Fukuoka Prefecture 805-0045, Japan
+81 93-652-0334
Update attraction details
Ranked #2 of 50 attractions in Kitakyushu
Type: Gardens
Attraction Details
Vancouver, Canada
“It exist!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Went here after May golden week, also lured by the photos on the internet I decided to find out if this place exist.

I went on May 7,2013. In theory it should be early, but most of the wisteria were actually full bloom!
This place is pretty much impossible to go without a car / bike. Public transit doesn't take you all the way to the place, the closest stop will get you to the dam while the garden is on the other side of it :S

Entrance fee is 1000 during full bloom, price changes according to the flower condition.

There are 3 tunnels, first two is ones we see online, the upper part has a dorm (kind of like a igloo) so you can get stand under the wisteria. The wisteria there are quite spread so didn't stay there too long. The top part is a large flat ground with lots of long wisteria hanging down. Last one is a slop down to the entrance, I personally love this part most as they put many different types in the same area, from afar they become descending colour: purple (blue) pink, white and so on (see photos)

According to the pamphlet that I receive, this place is also awesome for Maple too! Not to mention the maple part is block during the wisteria season.

And BEES! Lots of them!
If you are scare of bees, you may want to give a second thought about this place.
It's packed with bees and the wisteria here are long and drapes down very low, so you can expect tons of bees fly around you.

There's a hotspring nearby, otherwise I don't recall seeing any other facility around.
no lockers but you can ask the admission people to take care of the heavy bag, but they are not responsible for any lost item of course.

I recommend to have someone speaks the language to go with you if you don't speak any Japanese, this place is filled with locals and old people.

There was a website on this place, but they took it down.
I put down the phone number from the pamphlet.

Visited May 2013

• Korean first
Soo, Japan
23 attraction reviews
“Breath Taking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went here for Golden Week, lured by photos I found on the internet and spurred by the fact that it was going to be somewhat near where I was already going. I was not disappointed! The drive out there was pretty, and the park itself, although not in full bloom, was fragrant and beautiful.
Worth it. Even in "peak" season it was big enough that I got some good photos without crowds of other people in them. There is also a large area where you could have a picnic and sit under the flowing flowers. We didn't know there was an area like this so we didn't really take advantage of it. Oh well, maybe next time!
Be aware that Wysteria is blooming on early May to mid-May and so it is a seasonal thing.
The park also boasts a Momiji (Japanese Maple) forest, although I have not seen it in autumn. Judging by the walk and the amount of trees it may be worth a second visit in the fall just to see the changing leaves.
There was a lot of parking here, and I am not sure about public transport as it is very rural and in the mountains.

Visited May 2013