“Great little place” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Algoma, Wisconsin
“Great little place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Skaliwags is a tiny little bar/restaurant with a topnoch chef turning out great food from kitchen smaller than a typical trailer house. staff is friendly and atmosphere is excellent. Come early as seating is very limited. Order soon as the small cooking area can cause a back log in orders, but the food is well worth the wait.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Algoma, Wisconsin
“Big Little Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is a fabulous restaurant in a very small town that has been soooo needing a really,, really GOOD restaurant. There are the usual pizza place(s) and family style restaurants, but this one, dears, is really, REALLY first class. The facility is truly a hole in the wall. If you're not there when they open (and check for the hours), you will wait, I promise you. However, the food is worth it. There is NO menu, save for the grilled romaine salad that made a bleu cheese lover out of me. Split that between two, OK? Chef Chris receives his seafood fresh daily (and I suppose the other stuff is fresh as well), so you just have to wait to see what will be prepared that night. He has a FB page and does a 'live' video of what he has that particular day.
I believe I've heard rumblings that they will be expanding soon...NOT leaving Algoma, but expanding. This is a place NOT to be missed!

• Visited November 2012
WIsconsin
“Disappointing first visit, would love to give 5 stars”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Two couples on their first visit, all of us very well aware of the NO RESERVATIONS policy and GET THERE EARLY. They open on Sat. at 4:30, we walked in at 4:43, packed restaurant, but 11 open chairs. I sat at a table with six chairs and a waitress immediately told me I could not sit there. I asked if it was for people already sitting at the bar and she said no. I told her we were told there where NO reservations, but she said this was for a special occasion, heck, we had someone turning 60 and new grandparents, that's special! But no, those people had not yet arrived, so then I asked about the 5 seats available at other tables, no, they were reserved for people that had not yet arrived, and wouldn't for at least another hour. The table for 6 were told they had to be there by 5, came in about 5:20, and here we stood, for over 2 hours! Finally I asked a different waitress where we were on the list, she said we were after "that" group and pointed...they were in there when we arrived! I asked if we could at least order an appetizer and she said, "oh, sure" didn't know you would want one without a place to sit. Needless to say we were all starving, could not drink anymore but did not know where else to go. Finally without warning she took our order, not nice chat with the chef, no one telling us anything special about the offerings as other people mentioned. My friend forgot what she had wanted from looking at the boards with tiny writing 2 hours before so she said, just give me the same as hers. Unfortunately we hoped we too could have that nice little chat about what we like etc, like other reviewers. After we ate and got the bill the owner and chef came out and took our bill and knocked off 10% and poured each one of us 2 fingers of a nice Port. I would have rather had our bill adjusted lower, by this time it was so late we said our goodbyes, we only sat together during our meal, otherwise it was noisy and crowded. We noticed couples that arrived after us got served before us and left, we still do not know how they keep track of you.
I would like to give it 5 stars but it truly is not a 5 star experience. Will we go back...maybe...hard to say. There are many good places to eat in the Green Bay and Door County area where you can relax and have your meal in a timely manner...that is more 5 stars in the making than Skaliwag's

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Good food, super slow service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have eaten here four times and the service seems to decline as the prices go up. An appetizer is comparable to the entree in price. The food is great, but it is diminished by the constant waiting for the next interaction with the server. Prices aren't posted so buyer beware. I would pay the high price for this great quality of food if I wasn't patiently sitting on a bar stool (roughly half the seating is at the bar) waiting to place an order.

Madison, Wisconsin
“Fantastic!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Why can't every restaurant be like this?? Quality ingredients, thoughtful preparation, friendly environment. We stumbled upon this place completely on accident. We thought the name was charming...and before walking in I actually quickly looked it up on tripadvisor from my iphone. I cautiously told my fellow travelers that the reviews looked really, really positive. I was skeptical, I'll admit. Just a head's up, if you walk into what appears to be a dive bar with a teeny tiny exposed kitchen...well, you're in the right place. All five of us loved our meals. Perfect lobster risotto...at a dive bar...can't wait to come back!

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Skaliwag's? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Skaliwag's, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.