“What Reservation?” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Auburn
Long
“What Reservation?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Below is a letter I sent to Guesthouse Inns regarding this hotel, and how they ruined a very special night.

To whom it may concern,

On 8-03-2012, I made a reservation for my mother using Hotels.com for your hotel. It was for a double queen room on the night of 8-18-2012. Total bill paid in full was 143.43.

We received our confirmation, and it was paid in full, so no more thought was given to this. I am attaching a copy of this below.

On the 18th, my mother arrived at the hotel a little after 3:00 to check in. She was told by an employee that she had no reservation, that their hotel didn't work with hotels.com, and clearly they shouldn't have been 'so stupid' as to to book through hotels.com. The employee said there was nothing she could do, they were booked, and they had nowhere to stay. When shown the email (I always print out the emails in case there are any questions) she said she had no idea but they had no room, and she wouldn't find one. She told them, that there were always issues with hotels.com, what did they expect, that unless you called the hotel you did NOT have a reservation.

Of course we immediately called hotels.com, who confirmed over the phone to the Auburn Guesthouse, that YES, there was a reservation. Auburn Guesthouse insisted they fax the information, and said to wait in the lobby. Which my mom did for over an hour. While the clock was ticking down to her 51st reunion, her best friend who she hadn't seen for over a year arrived (she was also to be staying in the room) and while the lobby filled with other guests. After an hour had passed, she called and informed me of the situation, and I called several other hotels, finding a Comfort Inn that had a room available 20 minutes away. They finally left, 90 minutes after arriving at the hotel, with less than an hour to go to the time of the reunion. The entire time they were there, no contact, apology, or any move to help them out of the situation they had been put into by no fault of their own.

I then called Hotels.com, who called the Auburn Guesthouse, while I was on hold. 10 minutes later, Hotels.com informed me, that there had been a huge mixup by the hotel, they did have a reservation there, and the room just hadn't been ready. That if they went back to the desk they'd be checked in. I declined, explaining that they were now late to the reunion, on their way to a neighboring town, and had no intention of staying at the Auburn Guesthouse after the treatment, and lack of caring. Hotels.com cancelled the reservation.

However, as someone who has worked in guest services and management for years, I wanted to let you know. Because, by coming so close to ruining a carefully planned out night, by showing such a lack of care and customer first attitude, and by clearly not following protocol, this employee has cost you what could have been a regular guest. This email is also being forwarded to hotels.com, In addition, I will be telling others about our experience and posting reviews. Auburn happens to be my hometown, and somewhere I am proud of. It concerns me that a business could show such a lack of care. There are plenty of other hotels in Auburn, which will in the future be receiving our business.

Room Tip: I'd recommend the Comfort Inn in Federal Way, for outstanding customer service.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
dorthtoto, General Manager at Auburn GuestHouse Inn, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Hello, oceansiderose. I was very disappointed to see that you had a bad experience at our hotel. First and foremost, guests are our BIGGEST priority. We train our Front Desk Agents in courteous customer service and we have a fantastic crew of veteran Agents that I am proud of. If this effort was not evident in your experience, I apologize. I have spoken with the Front Desk Agent in charge of your reservation and unfortunately, it was a simple case of a lost prepaid reservation form. As you know, it was a very busy time at the front desk and apparently your reservation was inadvertantly attached to another. By the time the Agent found it, you had already gone and obviously it was very inconvenient for you to return. For that, I am so sorry. I understand your apprehension about staying with us in the future but I certainly would have liked to have spoken with your personally about this matter. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Auburn, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

This last July I went looking for a place that could hold a family of six. After looking on line for awhile I decided to do some foot work. I checked out several hotels in and around Auburn and finally found myself at The Guesthouse Inn. I told the front desk my problem and they were kind enough to let me take a look at the room they have with three queen size beds! This is not a suite, but one room with two beds and then another room with one bed. I hope I am not letting anything out of the bag but if you have a big family this room is great! My large family company were so pleased that they booked the room again in August. They loved the great breakfast and when I came to pick girls for a day out they were still happily munching away. My compliments to the management!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hello, ToniB119! Thanks so much for the high marks! Yes, we are one of the few hotels in the area that can accommodate so many people in one room. Our 3 bedroom "family suite" is a big seller! As you know, it's very convenient to be able to shut the door and have some privacy in the same room and still be with family. We love this feature and we're glad you do, as well. I hope you were able to enjoy some of the local events during your stay. Once again, THANK YOU and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We spent 6 nights (7/9-7/15) as a combination business trip, pleasure (meeting our son's future in-laws), and attending a convention. The location was convenient. The room spacious and quiet. The breakfast was amazing. We have never seen anywhere else strawberries and whipped cream for the waffles. All the staff were professional and friendly from Ashlee who took our reservation and also checked us out to Cheryl who checked us in to Gayle who serviced the breakfast room. We would gladly stay here again

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

dorthtoto, General Manager at Auburn GuestHouse Inn, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
We are always so excited to get positive and encouraging reviews! We really take pride in our breakfast and it's many variations. Not to mention our fabulous hostess, Gayle. Then again, you were able to experience tha all for yourself! Thank you so much and we certainly hope that you visit us again next time you're in our fair town!
Ontario, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My wife, daughter and I were attending the Creation Fest in Enumclaw and we stayed at the hotel. We stayed 4 days and the hotel was great. The breakfast options were much better than a regular type breakfast offered at other hotels. The addition of biscuits and gravy, egg and sausage patty along with the standard waffle make it great. The twin queen beds were comfortable and I never heard our neighbors shower or move around. We would stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
dorthtoto, General Manager at Auburn GuestHouse Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Hello, Leon S! YES! I agree, our breakfast is the yummiest around! Although Creation fest is in Enumclaw, we certainly appreciate you making the drive and staying with us in Auburn. We hope to see you again, maybe next year? Many thanks from all of the staff members!
Fredericktown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This is a very nice and clean motel. The breakfast is the best I have had at any motel. We had reservations at a nearby motel but after staying here 2 days I decided to cancel the other one and stay here the remainder of our vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi, ssandykb! Thanks for the fabulous kudos! We certainly enjoyed hosting your stay in Auburn. Tell all of your friends about us! People like you make it all worthwhile. :0)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

The woman at the front desk when we arrived, as well as the one in the morning, were very friendly. The hotel is clean, as well as the room. we had a room with a window facing the road but we didn't heard anything. It is perfectly located south of Seattle on the road to Mt Rainier. There is a spa, but we arrived too late and left too early to use it...
I surely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
dorthtoto, General Manager at Auburn GuestHouse Inn, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Hello, aurelie_m_gc! It's good to know that the time we spend with our staff encouraging good guest service has paid off. We appreciate you and know that you are what makes our jobs enjoyable and worth coming in each day. I hope you enjoyed your time here and the majesty of our beautiful Mt. Rainier. Enjoy the rest of your summer and we look forward to seeing you in the future!
Volga, South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

This was a regular hotel with two double beds, a dorm size refrigerator and a microwave. The bathroom was small, and the sink was outside the bathroom door. However, the shower was not cramped. Unfortunately, at 8am on a Tuesday, the water temperature kept fluctuating.
The hotel is very clean, and they have a great complimentary breakfast with biscuits and gravy, breakfast sandwiches, waffles, cereal, and fruit.

Hotel service could have been better. We wanted a ride in the hotel shuttle to the Auburn airport, which is about 1.5 miles away, and were told the shuttle only runs at specific times. We would have had to wait 2 hours, so we just walked. Then, the next morning, we wanted to be dropped off at a place about 7 miles from the hotel, but were told the shuttle only goes to a 3 mile radius. This is horrible.

I really wanted to give this hotel a rating of poor because of the bad service, but the rooms were very clean and the complimentary breakfast was good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hello, lovemonkeysd! I appreciate you taking time to review our property. I'm pleased that you were satisfied with your room and our splendid breakfast. I am sorry that you had difficulty getting transportation from our courtesy shuttle. I understand from the staff that the timing on your first request was off and we were unable to accommodate you. I am truly sorry. I am also sorry that we were not able to take you to the second location, however, our insurance carrier restricts us to a 3-mile radius, with few exceptions, which is the reason for the inability to transport you to the location 7 miles away. My staff and I pride ourselves on good guest service and will continue to make daily improvements to ensure each guest has a good hotel experience. I hope that in the future, you will give us another try. Enjoy your summer!

Been to Auburn GuestHouse Inn? Share your experiences!