“Managing Expectations” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cap Sante Inn

Cap Sante Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Anacortes
Cap Sante Inn
You added Cap Sante Inn to your Saves list
906 9th Street, Anacortes, WA 98221   |
Ranked #6 of 9 Anacortes B&B and Inns
Oregon
“Managing Expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

You can read a lot of negative stuff about this place in other reviews. Some of it is accurate criticism while much of it is the result of unfortunate circumstances. So, before you consider staying here do some research and be aware of what this place is. It is an older "California" style motel (two story, outside corridors, no elevator, no continental breakfast, etc). Some of the valid observations: it's old, rooms are generally warm (no A/C); many of the electrical outlets are worn to the point that appliance plugs will not stay plugged in; mini-fridge is noisy; the street on the east side in front of the marina is busy. Having said that, we stayed for one night before taking the ferry to the San Juans and it was perfectly adequate and very reasonably priced. The bed was comfortable, there was plenty of hot water, there is always fresh coffee and tea in the lobby with complimentary granola bars, it is in close proximity to old town Anacortes and the Cap Sante Marina. The staff members are extremely cordial and helpful. The dining recommendation they gave us was terrific (the Adrift restaurant: reviewed elsewhere). We walked the docks at the Marina, caught the town crier and a couple of fellows dressed like Jack Sparrow doing the evening salute at the harbor; spent happy hour at Anthony's and then went to dinner. The next morning we went to the farmer's market across the street, one of the best local markets I have ever been to. There are newer, more expensive places to stay a couple of blocks to the west toward town, but I will probably return to Cap Sante
again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Friendly staff.
Awful room: depressing, street-noise noisy, and too hot. The thermostat appeared not to function and opening a window for cooling air resulted in too much noise.
Could only sleep about an hour through the night.
Atmosphere was like a minimum-security jail.
Would rather sleep in my car than stay here again.
Desk clerk was friendly enough, but offered poor recommendations for local dining (food sucked.)
Never again, and I dissuade others.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Britain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The room was large, clean, and with comfortable beds. The downside was no air conditioning, which we had omitted to check when we booked the room. It was slightly shabby, but really for the price was perfectly ok for one night. The reception staff were very helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

The room smelled like dirty socks, but we could have put up with that. But we will never stay at the Cap Sante again because of the unbelievable rudeness of the young woman at the front desk when we checked out.

On the morning of our departure, my husband took our car in for repairs, planning to pick me up at the motel around 11:00. I went out for a walk, and returned to our room at 10:30, only to find the door open, the beds stripped, and my bag missing. The maid was in an adjacent room, and she apologized for thinking I had left without my bag, and told me the bag was at the front desk. She graciously told me that if I needed to keep the room past check-out time, not to worry. I figured it was an honest mistake and no big deal.

But when I went to the office to get my bag, things got bizarre. The bag was sitting on the counter and I reached for it, telling the woman there it was taken from my room by mistake even though I hadn't checked out. She grabbed it and put it out of my reach. She said the bag had been taken from a different room. I explained that in fact it was taken out of my room and was my bag. Instead of apologizing, or checking with the maid, she treated me like some sort of imposter. She demanded to see an ID. She studied the ID, and slowly looked up the room registration (which was under my husband's name), glaring at me suspiciously. I was getting impatient as I had a conference call in a couple of minutes. I showed her my room key, told her my husband's name, and finally convinced her to relinquish my bag, grudgingly and still with no apology or the least sign of friendliness.

I went to my room and made my phone call. By 11:00 my husband still hadn't returned, so I waited in my room. At 11:20 there was very loud and repeated pounding on the door. There stood the front desk woman glaring furiously at me. "It's past check-out time and you need to get out," she said. I tried to explain that the maid had said it would be no problem if I stayed a little longer, as a courtesy gesture for the earlier mistake. The front desk woman interrupted, said the maid wasn't authorized to extend the time, and that I should have asked her. There wasn't a shred of politeness--she wanted me out NOW. So I immediately left the room and gave her the key. "Where's the other key?" she demanded, I told her my husband had it and would be returning shortly. "It will cost you fifty dollars if he doesn't return it," she said, following me to the parking lot. "Please stop hassling me--I'll return it as soon as he's here," I said. "When is he coming back?" she said. "Tomorrow?" I told her it would be any minute, and with another dirty look she went back to the office. I waited in the parking lot until my husband returned a few minutes later, and she blasted him with more rudeness when he took the key into the office.

I know mistakes can happen. The maid handled it the way it should be handled, graciously and apologetically. The Gorgon at the front desk acted throughout the incident (which was their mistake, after all) as if I were trying to pull a fast one, steal someone else's bag, stay in the room without permission (even though I had been given permission by the staff), steal the key etc. I have never encountered such gratuitous rudeness in many years of traveling. If I were the manager of this place, she would certainly not remain on staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
North Lakewood
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We selected this hotel due to it's location being close to an event we were attending. The check-in person was very nice, but when we entered our room in the annex we were disappointed. The window was fogged up, the small fridge was really noisy, and the bathroom had a mildew smell. Surprisingly, there was no coffee maker or AC. Overall it appeared to be poorly maintained. It was nowhere worth the $99 price, although we wouldn't stay there again for any amount. It's a shame because the hotel is in a great location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manhattan Beach, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We were here for one night before a kayaking trip, and this ended up being a great choice. The front desk ladies were lovely, and the resident dog Woody was a sweetheart. The rooms are simple and fairly large (our 12 year old son thought this place was better than the considerably more expensive Seattle Waterside Marriott we stayed in the previous night!). No frills here, but conveniently located, easy and well priced.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bellevue WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Inn because it was centrally located, lovely big spacious double queen room in midtown. The staff was extremely gracious and helpful in pointing out places to go and things to do. We will go back to Cap Sante Inn the next time we are in this area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple