“Horrible experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Cap Sante Inn

Cap Sante Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Anacortes
Cap Sante Inn
You added Cap Sante Inn to your Saves list
906 9th Street, Anacortes, WA 98221   |
Ranked #6 of 9 Anacortes B&B and Inns
“Horrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

The room smelled like dirty socks, but we could have put up with that. But we will never stay at the Cap Sante again because of the unbelievable rudeness of the young woman at the front desk when we checked out.

On the morning of our departure, my husband took our car in for repairs, planning to pick me up at the motel around 11:00. I went out for a walk, and returned to our room at 10:30, only to find the door open, the beds stripped, and my bag missing. The maid was in an adjacent room, and she apologized for thinking I had left without my bag, and told me the bag was at the front desk. She graciously told me that if I needed to keep the room past check-out time, not to worry. I figured it was an honest mistake and no big deal.

But when I went to the office to get my bag, things got bizarre. The bag was sitting on the counter and I reached for it, telling the woman there it was taken from my room by mistake even though I hadn't checked out. She grabbed it and put it out of my reach. She said the bag had been taken from a different room. I explained that in fact it was taken out of my room and was my bag. Instead of apologizing, or checking with the maid, she treated me like some sort of imposter. She demanded to see an ID. She studied the ID, and slowly looked up the room registration (which was under my husband's name), glaring at me suspiciously. I was getting impatient as I had a conference call in a couple of minutes. I showed her my room key, told her my husband's name, and finally convinced her to relinquish my bag, grudgingly and still with no apology or the least sign of friendliness.

I went to my room and made my phone call. By 11:00 my husband still hadn't returned, so I waited in my room. At 11:20 there was very loud and repeated pounding on the door. There stood the front desk woman glaring furiously at me. "It's past check-out time and you need to get out," she said. I tried to explain that the maid had said it would be no problem if I stayed a little longer, as a courtesy gesture for the earlier mistake. The front desk woman interrupted, said the maid wasn't authorized to extend the time, and that I should have asked her. There wasn't a shred of politeness--she wanted me out NOW. So I immediately left the room and gave her the key. "Where's the other key?" she demanded, I told her my husband had it and would be returning shortly. "It will cost you fifty dollars if he doesn't return it," she said, following me to the parking lot. "Please stop hassling me--I'll return it as soon as he's here," I said. "When is he coming back?" she said. "Tomorrow?" I told her it would be any minute, and with another dirty look she went back to the office. I waited in the parking lot until my husband returned a few minutes later, and she blasted him with more rudeness when he took the key into the office.

I know mistakes can happen. The maid handled it the way it should be handled, graciously and apologetically. The Gorgon at the front desk acted throughout the incident (which was their mistake, after all) as if I were trying to pull a fast one, steal someone else's bag, stay in the room without permission (even though I had been given permission by the staff), steal the key etc. I have never encountered such gratuitous rudeness in many years of traveling. If I were the manager of this place, she would certainly not remain on staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
North Lakewood
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We selected this hotel due to it's location being close to an event we were attending. The check-in person was very nice, but when we entered our room in the annex we were disappointed. The window was fogged up, the small fridge was really noisy, and the bathroom had a mildew smell. Surprisingly, there was no coffee maker or AC. Overall it appeared to be poorly maintained. It was nowhere worth the $99 price, although we wouldn't stay there again for any amount. It's a shame because the hotel is in a great location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manhattan Beach, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We were here for one night before a kayaking trip, and this ended up being a great choice. The front desk ladies were lovely, and the resident dog Woody was a sweetheart. The rooms are simple and fairly large (our 12 year old son thought this place was better than the considerably more expensive Seattle Waterside Marriott we stayed in the previous night!). No frills here, but conveniently located, easy and well priced.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bellevue WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Inn because it was centrally located, lovely big spacious double queen room in midtown. The staff was extremely gracious and helpful in pointing out places to go and things to do. We will go back to Cap Sante Inn the next time we are in this area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

if you are looking for a clean place to rest in a great NW coastal town, Cap Sante Inn fits the bill. Rooms are spacious and clean but definitely just a room. If you want coffee in the early AM the office doesnt open til 7am so a quick walk to the Island Cafe fits the bill (they open at 6 and are a 3 minute walk away. Mark, the proprietor is the guy to work with. Seems like the young ladies working the desk arent as attentive to details as he is

Room Tip: Annex rooms are where we would recommend.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
La Jolla, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We were catching a ferry early the next day so this was a good location and it is near several good restaurants. But there was someone else's blood on one bath towel, no plug in the tub to draw a bath, no facial tissue, no coffee in the room, the heater was taped to the wall, it is really kind of a dump. Price is right if that is what you are looking for!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Orcas Island, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Visiting friends gave the Cap Sante Inn thumbs up, so when I needed to spend the night in Anacortes, I called them. I was having a medical procedure at the hospital the next day; I was on a liquid diet and the microwave and fridge made the less-than-appetizing food a bit easier. I did not care that the hotel did not have a buffet as I could not eat breakfast anyway. The room was large and comfortable. All appliances worked just fine, as did the wifi. The staff was very friendly and helpful. One cannot blame Cap Sante for someone banging on a nearby door -- that could happen anywhere. I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel to others. At $75, you should not expect the Ritz, but I think you'll be very content with the amenities.

Room Tip: The Inn is off the main drag; I thought that would be a good thing, but in actuality, I think the st...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Cap Sante Inn? Share your experiences!