“Delish!” 5 of 5 stars

2120 Commercial Ave, Anacortes, WA
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sher-E-Panjab is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 82 restaurants in Anacortes
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery
Dining style: Casual Dining
“Delish!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Love the heat! The waitstaff is a little green, but the chef is authentic. The chicken tikka masala, aloo gobo, began masala, galic naan, and raita and so good!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
U.S. here and there
“Be sure to check this out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Whether you live in Anacortes or you're traveling through, you should plan a trip to Sher-E-Panjab. We've eaten here 4 times in the last 2 months and each meal has been delicious. It's family-run and the service has always been attentive. But it's the food you're after, and you won't be disappointed! Among the dishes we've enjoyed are Mango Chicken, Daal Tadka, Fire-Roasted Eggplant [Benghan Bharta], Chicken Tikka, Vegetable Samosas, and Papri Chat. What we especially appreciated is that the flavor of the dishes does not depend on the level of "heat"; each dish was flavorful whether it was mild or hot.

Also, their selection of Naan [Indian bread} is extensive--we particularly enjoyed the Naan with garlic and basil. They also have something like a mango salsa, which is amazing.

The restaurant isn't in the middle of the downtown area, it's a bit further up Commercial Avenue on about 21st Street. It's an easy drive to or from the ferry landing, so you should plan on having dinner on your way to or from the ferry. Of course if you live in the Anacortes area you can stop by anytime, and we suggest that you do! And like all great Indian restaurants, their entire menu is available for carryout.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Anacortes, Washington
“Deceptively Delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

An Indian restaurant in little old Anacortes? It has to spell trouble, don't you think? I went to Sher-E-Panjab the first time on my own, prepared to be a little disappointed, but hoping for at least something that resembled non-American, Indian food.

The first signs were good. A cricket match was playing on the restaurant TV. At least if the food was bad I could console myself with the cricket! I was seated at a pleasant table and as I read through the mainly standard Indian-fare menu, was offered a couple of cardboard popadums and some dipping mixes. Not the best start.

But, all was to be made right. The first time I go to an Indian restaurant in this country (I'm originally from England) I usually order the lamb vindaloo. This is a good test. Firstly, how well can they cook lamb (I've had so many bad pieces of lamb in the USA)? Secondly, how do they spice up their curries, naturally or just by adding chilies? I ordered the 5/6 heat scale, sipped on my Kingfisher lager and waited. The meal did not disappoint. It was tasty and spicy and had plenty of tender lamb and potatoes. The basmati rice was fresh and the accompanying naan bread I ordered was wonderful and not too thick and doughy. I left happy.

So, onto visit number two. This time around I tried the chicken tikka masala and my wife had the curried coconut chicken. I upped my spice level to 6/6 and was not disappointed. The dish was well-rounded in flavor and the chicken very tender. My wife's dish was tasty too.

I can wholeheartedly recommend this little restaurant if you're anywhere near Anacortes. It is better than several I have eaten at in other Seattle locales. Service is good and the only reason it didn't get a five star was the cardboard popadums. They just weren't as good as they could have been.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Seattle
“Lunch time buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Buffet lunch was reasonable. Spices were somewhat muted, but the flovors were quite good. The HOT chutney was very firey and should be treated with care. Overall good value. I plan to return next time I am in Anacortes.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Anacortes, Washington
“This is not Indian Food - save your money.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We were really excited about an Indian Restaurant coming to Anacortes - but the excitement was short lived. We will never eat there again. There was no atmosphere - at least dim the lights people! All 4 of our waters had flecks of something floating in them. And the food - horrible. The samosas came out cold and with no dipping sauce. The main dishes were bland and something I would compare to baby food - though it has been many years since I've eaten that! The tough meat and the spice-less food left us all wishing we had gone elsewhere for dinner. Indian food should have a heat to it. I have many Indian friends and LOVE Indian food - but you will not find anything good here. Was truly hoping this place was gonna be great - but sadly it's not.

• Visited January 2012