“Sailing on Friendly Seas... with an Unfriendly Crew” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 10 Attractions in Aberdeen
Type: Historic Sites, Cultural
Portland, Oregon
“Sailing on Friendly Seas... with an Unfriendly Crew”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My dad has always been a lover of ships. Unfortunately, he has three grown sons (I am the youngest) who do not share his fascination or interest in ships, but we do love our dad. So, in the summer of 2012 my brothers and I decided to take to the open seas with our dad to bond over what he loves most. He was so excited! Again, I'm your average college student whose knowledge of seafaring vessels exists no further than Pirates of the Caribbean IV; still, we all were ready to learn, help around and have a good time.

Our route was from Newport, OR. to Astoria, OR - approx 130 miles of open seas. It was a 2 night stay. We slept below deck the 1st night, sailed port in the morning, slept below deck again and arrived at our destination the next day in the late afternoon.

I’d like to start with the positives. We had fantastic weather with mild wind; so, we didn't let down the sails. The living/sleeping conditions were good enough and we all enjoyed the cook’s food.

Now here's what made our trip an overall negative experience- excluding the nausea which subsided after 5hrs on sea. I'm a believer that it's the people that make a journey memorable, which in this case is the ship's crew. Two crew members were in all respects friendly, most were neutral and some were hostile. Even though, we were 4 guys who paid good money to be there, were willing to help and wanted to learn from them the general vibe received was, “stay out of our way or it’s the plank you’ll be walkin’.” Specific examples include when they made us brothers share a cup for meals because we were not a crew member, or when the cook gave my dad a hard time for asking for eggs in the morning when the cook was already making eggs for crew members or when I received death glares and sarcastic comments when crew members saw me drinking a glass of milk. Yes, this all really happened- plus more! It’s like the crew was a clique and my family were the unwanted scallywags. Sure, we steered the rudder, rigged some rope and some were gracious enough to answers our questions (though usually with minimal explanations). Us brothers banded together and made due with the circumstances. But the real loser in this venture was my dad who, because of the crew’s attitude, had missed out on what should have been a once in a life time trip. That’s why I am writing this unfavorable review, not for me or my brothers, but for my dad. In my opinion, the Lady Washington and her crew should just set sail and not come back. Clearly, they don’t take well to new visitors.

Visited May 2012

Aberdeen, Washington
“a good thing about aberdeen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

we live in aberdeen, can see the lady when she's in port. love it!! can see capt jack on board in our mind's eye

Visited September 2012
University Place, WA
3 attraction reviews
“Dockside tours are great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Saw the ship at a pirate festival. The staff is friendly and the ship is amazing, its a great history lesson. Would love to take a battle tour one of these days.

Visited June 2012
Cosmopolis, Washington
5 attraction reviews
“Historic Tall Ship”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Take time to tour this great ship. Better yet, book a sail and experience life aboard. Just like days of yore! Featured in many movies.

Visited July 2012
Provo, Utah
28 attraction reviews
“Great look at history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

If you have time to visit the Lady Washington and spend some time on the old ship, it is definitely worth it. It provides a great view of life on a ship during the 1800s.

Visited August 2012