“Nothing Special......Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French, Pizza
Paris, France
“Nothing Special......Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

In town for the Patrick Henry Half Marathon we wanted pizza and choose the Brick Oven Bistro off the reviews here. The service was very good, our waitress was very friendly and helpful, and she explained menu items and was quick to refill drinks or remove empty dishes. The food on the other hand was nothing special. We tried the spicy fries for a starter than had two pizzas; one with egg plant, ham, and mushrooms while the other had ham, peppers, and olives. The fries were ok though we thought they could have been a little crisper and the seasoning was nothing special. The first pizza had canned mushrooms and fried egg plant, this made the pizza greasy. We thought both pizzas had too much cheese. When they serve the pizza they place it on a pizza stand. We ordered the 14 inch size since the waitress said they were smaller and cut into 6 slices. Well the pizzas were huge and the slices were huge. We could have easily shared one pizza. The restaurant had ceiling fans going on high plus the A/C going which caused our hot from the oven pizzas to cool to room temp in about 4 minutes. This did not help with the taste. We walked away thinking that the meal was a waste of time and money and had wished we had tried someplace else. All in all Brick Oven Bistro is nothing special and I would recommend looking for any pizza place if staying in Ashland.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Sarasota, Florida
“Enjoyed our meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My Husband and I were staying at the Hampton inn around the corner from Brick Oven. The front desk clerk had recommended the Brick Oven and I'm glad they did! The restaurant looked a little busy, so we decieded to take our food back to the hotel. I had the Fettucini, which was very tasty and my husband enjoyed his meal as well.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Franconia, Virginia
“Good service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Went here on a SAT evening after a day of waiting in line at Kings Dominion. Great service. They sat us down and got us menus right away. Were never very far away or left us waiting for them. The food came out properly cooked and quick. My son got the spaghetti & meatballs which he loved though it was a lot of food (3 big meatballs). My wife for the cheese steak calzone (or something to that effect) and she liked it but could only eat half. I got the steak & cheese which was pretty good on nice, fresh bread. The bread makes a huge difference. Crappy bread will ruin filet mignon but great bread can make a shoe taste good. I would say this was more the New York style steak and cheese rather than the Philly style cheese steak. Add 2 big and one small beers and it was $39 (which is almost the same price as a cold hamburger and two warm beers at Kings Dominion though without the hour long wait at the park).

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Harrisville, NY
“Friendly and busy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Brick Oven Bistro was the perfect place to cap a day at the nearby amusement park with our family - toddlers to grandparents. Don't let it's location in a Walmart shopping plaza deter you. The place was very busy, but good places always are. We were seated promptly in the outdoor area which was great for us. The beer was served very cold and refreshing. The three pizzas we ordered were delicious - white, pepperoni and a vegggie had combination crusts- thick and crusty on the ouside and thin and crunchy in the center. The veggie was my favorite with lots of fresh veggies perfectly baked and just the right amount of cheese. Service by a very busy staff was friendly and prompt. We'd return in a heart beat.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mechanicsville, Virginia
“Pizza tasted like a frozen pizza”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My son and I ate here last week and it was a pretty unpleasant experience! Overall the restaurant was somewhat dirty, our table was sticky. I ordered the personal pan pizza and it didn't look ANYTHING like a brick oven pizza - I think is was even frozen! My son had the pasta Alfredo and he took one bite and said "yuck". It came with garlic rolls that were actually good, but the marinara tasted like a ketchup packet. I will not return to this restaurant, may have been one of the worst restaurant I have eaten at in a long time!!

• Visited April 2013