“We only stayed 5 hours because we were driving back from...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Ashland
Ashland
“We only stayed 5 hours because we were driving back from...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We only stayed 5 hours because we were driving back from Florida and needed a room just to get a little sleep before driving home

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Miller Place, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We used the Travel Magazines at the VA Greetings Center to pick this place. The price was right. $53.99 plus tax. We always ask to look at the room ahead of time, and did, but because we had travelled 14 hours that day, we decided to stay. I think otherwise we would have checked out a different motel nearby, and be willing to pay more. There are several motels in this area. The room had the bare minimum; the bed had a sheet, and a thin comforter, (no blanket) which looked pretty yucky. The mattress was good and firm, the pillows were ok. Someone did a poor job vacuuming the room. The TV did work as did the small fridge. The showerhead and shower were ok too. The continental breakfast was basic and ok. Basically you get what you pay for, no frills at that price. I would probably look elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: No complaints about noise or AC that particular night.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

This motel was very convenient to I-95, gas stations, and restaurants. The room was quiet and the bed very comfortable. The only issues I had were that the breakfast was not very appetizing (I drove through the nearby McDonald's instead), and the towels were poor quality and rough. Oh, the manager answered my question about restaurants, but was not particularly friendly.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Poor service! Upon arrival on 05/05/14 had to request toilet paper. During my 7 day stay my room was cleaned but NEVER vacummed. On 05/10/14, my hotel door was left open and unsecured ALL day from leaving at 8:00am to my arrival back to my room 220 at 9;30pm. Housekeeping didnt completely close my door after cleaning it. Owner/Manager Johnny just wanted to ARGUE with me about these complaints and offer lame excuses. Upon leaving he would not give me my receipt for my stay, in fact had to call Hojo customer service to get it from him and then Johnny still wanted to ARGUE with me about how to check out of a hotel.. Indian food smelled thru-out the lobby. I would not recommend this hotel to stay in. I-95 directly behind the hotel and oh yeah if you dont want to be kept up all night long get a room on the 3rd floor on the front of the hotel. Otherwise, you can hear everything going on upstairs. Owner/Manger did not advise of a $1.00 per night charge for a safe, which i did not even know existed. I wasn't informed at check-in.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

POOR SERVICE AT HOWARD JOHNSON HOTEL IN ASHLAND, VA
checked in on 5/5/2014 for 7 nights. I was not informed of a dollar per day per safe charge. Nor was i expecting my room to have NO toilet paper upon entering. I had to call the front desk to get some. I was gone all day on saturday, 5/10 and upon coming back to my room late that evening my room 220 was open and unsecured ALL day. Although the beds were made and the room was cleaned it was NEVER vacummed for the entire week of stay. Manager/owner, Johnny , could only argue with me and offer lame excuses.

Room Tip: Make sure your door SHUTS and LOCKS on the 1st try. Ask for a 3rd floor room unless you want to hea...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Lobby, halls and rooms definitely need upgraded! Decor was bad - nothing matched and was outdated. Halls did not have a good smell. Thankful the window in the room could be opened several inches to get fresh air. Bathroom lighting was very good, but shower rod was loose on both ends. Only way to stop the toilet from running was to jiggle the "lid" (not the handle). Bed was comfortable. Sleep sofa had stains and some tears in fabric. Carpet needs replaced and beds need new bedspreads. Breakfast was poor basic - no bananas, old apples, apple juice was watered-down, just one choice of cereal. Waffles were good.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Howard Johnson Inn & Suites/Kings Dominion? Share your experiences!