“On the verge of excellence?” 4 of 5 stars

Book Now! Save Up To 20%
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Ashburn
GreenLeadersBronze level
Morristown, New Jersey
“On the verge of excellence?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

There are so many things that are right about this Embassy Suites property. It is conveniently located to the companies I was in Northern Virginia to do business with. This area of Loudoun County North of Dulles airport is convenient to a lot of good food (Emilio's pizza, for example, is listed in the back of the hotel guest directory, and is terrific - just a few minutes drive. The extraordinary and gigantic Wegman's market that's even closer has lots of ready-to-eat foods, too). The hotel facility is in great shape, and everything from the quality of food offered as part of the Embassy Suites 'cook to order' breakfast, to the quality of the furniture in the rooms, is very good. Staff are friendly, and while this is a 'basic' Embassy Suites hotel, all that is in their model makes traveling a little easier from the suite rooms, to the microwave and fridge in each, to the fitness center, laundry facilities, and the like. But if the quality of execution and attention to detail were just a bit higher, this would go from a very good hotel, to an excellent hotel.

I've stayed at the property twice, each time with at least one weekend night and one weekday night. And I like it, please make no mistake. But to stay at this hotel is to see so much that is nearly perfect, and then a small number of things that miss the mark, by a little. These are all small concerns, but they're maybe the kinds of things that tell you a place is first rate, or not quite.

The computers in the 'business center' are ancient and essentially unusably slow. While I carry a PC when I travel, it's not unusual that I would check-in for flights, print a document, etc. from a business center PC. These machines (Dells, labeled prominently as 'Pentium 4' computers!) have paid for themselves, I'd imagine, a few times over. Might I suggest a trip to Costco for a couple of new desktops? A few hundred dollars each would completely change the experience.

The fitness center is well lit, a nice size, and has three excellent treadmills, three Precor club-quality EFX elliptical machines, and a recumbent bike, all with the 'gym tv' options attached. There's also a couple of adjustable weight benches and a rack full of free weights, a few exercise balls, etc. It's really a very nice setup. But the EFX machines were all misbehaving. Not a lot, just some - the ramps would not adjust to the full range of heights they should, each somewhat differently malfunctioning. I'd imagine a simple service on them and all would be well. It was all just fine for a workout or three, but it struck me that no one is paying close attention. Linens left on Saturday were still in the hampers Monday morning, which made me think that maybe no one from the hotel had even been in the place over the weekend.

In the glass elevators in the atrium, a Saturday worth of younger guests had left a large number of fingerprints and smears that were also still there on Monday morning.

In the cafe, where the service was friendly and the food excellent, the silverware is the cheapest imaginable - 'budget institutional' would describe it, even as most other elements are high quality. The disposable cups in use in the cafe were all polystyrene, even as the rooms featured coffee makers with coffee from 'the rainforest alliance' and compostable 'ecotainer' paper cups. While ceraminc coffee mugs are available in the cafe, there don't appear to be reusable glasses for juice, water or milk.

Like I said before, all of these are minor, and none would deter me from staying here again. Yet an attentive management team could turn this from a very nice Embassy Suites into a truly excellent one with very little incremental money and effort.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

288 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
marlborough, ct
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

We checked in Friday afternoon. Got a room close to the elevators, a hockey team stayed there too. Saturday night was one of the worse nights ever, the young men were extremely noisy. We tried to understand by trying to relax and watch movies till 12:00a.m at which time there were still up and stomping on the floors. They also took over the swimming pool. It was sheer misery for us. This is the second time we have been to this hotel and there is a big group in house. This happened in July too. We frequent the Ashburn area very often on business and did enjoy the amenities at this hotel before, but based on this experience we will never recommend it again. The people at the breakfast bar was very courteous, however the young lady who checked us out, made it appear that what we complained about could not have happened as there was a curfew in place for the hockey team. One last thing, the bedding had blood spots on the matress cover, seems the housekeeper had just flipped it over instead of sending same to be laundered. This was just a horibble experience for my fiance and I.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Coudersport, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

I stayed at this hotel on 8/19. It's a beautiful hotel in a bit quieter area than Herndon or Reston. I ran into a problem with my reservation and asked for some help from a young man named Jay. Jay was a bit unhelpful and seemed a bit arrogant. I didn't think much of it until my wife told me when trying to call into me she was transferred to the wrong room. When she called back, Jay, told her there's no way he could have sent her to the wrong room. So if you can stay away from Jay, he seems to not be a good face for Embassy. When I returned later to try to fix a no-show I had, a very nice lady named Evelyn greeted me with a smile. She has my problem fixed in less than 5 minutes. She even asked me if I'd like to make a reservation for that night (Jay told me they were sold out). Unfortunately I had already booked elsewhere because Jay seemed to not hold out much hope of having a room.

All in all, if I scored embassy on employee helpfulness alone, I guess it would be a wash, but all things considered, I would come back here... I'd just be careful of who I talked to at the front desk.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
jruedinger, General Manager at Embassy Suites Dulles-North/Loudoun, responded to this review, October 16, 2010
thank you for the feedback it only through feedback from guests am i able to evaluate our services i can assure you your initial experience is not consistant with the true spirit of hospitality of the Embassy Suites Dulles North
Easley, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

This reminded me of a party hotel that you see during spring break at the beach. There were people running around the balcony yelling night after night. I called the front desk and they basically told me that I'd have to live with it and there was nothing they could do. The management was completely incompetent and I would never stay there again. I travel for a living and in all my journeys I have not experienced a stay as bad.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Stratford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

This hotel is very comfortable! We loved the managers reception for I think it's 2 hours. The apps/finger foods were delicious, they they just kept it coming. The breakfast was ok, could use some improvement. The room was very nice, we stayed in a suite which is large, average bathroom, large livingroom, big bedroom. We were able to extend our stay by an extra night with no problems from the front desk. Very cooperative and helpful. Convenient shopping plaza behind the hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

We booked 4 nights at the neighboring/attached Homewood Suites. They apparently overbooked, and upgraded us to Embassy Suites. Our King bed suite with sofa sleeper was wonderful - perfect for the 4 of us. The 6 floor open atrium is beautiful. Staff was friendly and helpful. They were quick to respond to requests. (extra towels brought to our room within 10 minutes) Exercise room was well equipped with ProCore equipment. Take headphones to watch TV while you use one of the ellipticals or treadmills. Breakfast was a wide variety of hot items (pancakes, french toast, potatoes, eggs, sausage, bacon, etc) Or they will cook your request. Cold items & juices are also available (cereal, donuts, etc). Rooms were quiet, and bed was super comfortable. Indoor pool was great. The hotel was clean - lots of staff working to keep it that way - it was a very busy place while we were there. Happy hour each night from 5:30-7:30 consists of your choice drink and chips, popcorn or veggies. The hotel is about 15 miles from the orange line metro into DC. (35-40 minutes in traffic to the Vienna/Fairfax stop)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Lexington, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

The rooms were very clean along with the atrium and hallways. Hotel was very quiet. Pool and hot tub could use some attention. Staff was great to work with. Very courteous and friendly. Breakfast is always a nice bonus; however, I would get a new vendor for the pastries. The pastries were definitely lacking in quality. It would have been great to have had a shuttle to a Metro Station or to some of the nearby shopping centers or mall.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Embassy Suites Dulles-North/Loudoun? Share your experiences!