“BEST HOTEL in ASHBURN” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington, DC, United States
“BEST HOTEL in ASHBURN”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

The staff at the Homewood Suites is AWESOME!!! They exhibit excellent customer service. They made me and family feel like we were apart of their family. Thank you Homewood Team for making this a wonderful experience. I will definitely be staying again very soon.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

jruedinger, General Manager at Homewood Suites Dulles - North / Loudoun, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful feedback! we look forward to your next visit please come back and see us again soon. We appreciate your business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Ashburn, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My wife and I have been staying at the Homewood Suites for the last week. Its anticipated that our total length of stay will exceed a month. We are so pleased with the cleanliness, staff, food, and location thus far. The hotel shares many amenities with the Embassy Suites, which is directly connected to the hotel. The rooms are very clean, quite, and offer a full kitchen. I would absolutely recommend this location for anyone in need of a long stay or just need to get away. Its super close to IAD but far enough that you dont feel like your right on top of the airport. They do provide shuttle service and your really only about a 10 minute drive.

Room Tip: The higher floors (there are only 3) provide a bit more but really any of them are suitable. I gues...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
We appreciate your positive comments and great recommendation! Thank you! I am delighted that we are able to meet your expectations on the level of service and accommodations. I will certainly share your feedback with my Team
Saint Augustine, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I pulled into Washington DC after a long long day of flight cancellations and delays due to weather only to watch my connecting flight taxi away without me. Since lots of other people were in the same boat, rooms were scarce (and/or exorbitantly priced) With my phone down on juice and the hotel boards that used to line the baggage claim areas seemingly a thing of the past, I walked outside to the hotel shuttles pick-up area and approached the driver of a van branded with three or four of the Hilton Hotels brand properties. I'm a Hilton Honors member so I thought I might have some juice and low and behold, he made a quick phone call and I had a room at the Homewood Suites Dulles-North.

A quick shuttle ride later I checked in at the Embassy Suites next door and followed a pool-smelling corridor to the Homewood Suites. I've never stayed at one of these but it looked akin to various Hampton Inn, Best Western, Quality Suites, etc., with a lobby/breakfast area and a small pantry next to the check-in desk. The desk staff was very nice and everything was in good repair and I was soon up at my room.

I was also soon down at the front desk again where the gentleman tried a number of times to make me a new key. Finally another staff member mentioned that she'd cleaned the blanks he was trying with alcohol (which obviously killed them in some way) and so after finding new blanks I was able to get a key that worked and got into the room.

I don't particularly like suite hotels. The living room always seems uncomfortable and the bedroom overlooked but the enormous flat plate in the bedroom made me rethink that. The kitchen was very sparsely stocked - no salt, minimal makings for coffee in the morning, etc. but I wasn't too concerned about eating by that point. The water pressure in the shower was pitiful and half the holes were either clogged with hard water sediment or the shower head was broken in some way. The water was hot, though and I rinsed my hair in the sink to get all the soap out.

Two queen side beds meant I could choose the one that was the more comfortable and it took some going back and forth to figure out which set of lumps best suited my own curves. Oddly enough, housekeeping had chosen to put the mattress pad on top of the both the bottom and top sheets, so I first had to remake the bed but finally got settled.

The air conditioning blew cold, I slept fine and after sourcing coffee from the lobby in the morning I was all set. Another nice desk clerk gave me a late check out and with lunch from the pantry I'm now off to try to catch my flight (again) clean, rested, fed and ready. While Homewood Suites isn't a destination brand by any stretch it is a perfectly acceptable alternative in a pinch or on a budget and the personnel at this particular property go a long way towards making up for some of the hotels small shortcomings.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
jruedinger, General Manager at Homewood Suites Dulles - North / Loudoun, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience and your review will help us do just that. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider us again in the future
Coram, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This hotel was very friendly for my daughter, husband and two children ages 5 & 8. The suite was very comfortable. Grandchildren loved the pool and spa. Breakfast and dinner was great! We visiting DC and this was a great location.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

jruedinger, General Manager at Homewood Suites Dulles - North / Loudoun, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
We appreciate your positive comments and great recommendation! Thank you! I am delighted that we were able to meet your expectations on the level of service and accommodations. I will certainly share your feedback with my Team
North Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Pluses: Clean, Good service behind desk, friendly and efficient. Major thanks to the courteous young man who drives the shuttle. Pool very nice, good spot for families. Minuses:Very thin walls. Poor management of the food supply which had no food available way before breakfast and dinner hours ended. Not a big deal if you're solo, but with family it is a big deal. Carpet and walls could be a little spruced up.

Location: Way far out if you're wanting National Mall and DC activities, but fine if around Dulles Airport or Herndon. Not so close for Reston or Fairfax.

Room Tip: Some suites are right beside the pool outside, which is scenic and fine, but noisy.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your positive comments I certainly pass them along to the staff. As with all feedback we are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience and your review will help us do just that. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider us again in the future
Conway, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

My family stayed here over the 4th of July weekend. The hotel was busy, but not full by any means. In hindsight, it was a little far from D.C. for sightseeing as traffic made it a good hour from the nearest Metro during the morning but we persevered.

So, the good. Rooms are reasonably clean and decently equipped, though the plumbing is below standard throughout with dribbly showerheads and slow draining sinks. Both rooms of the suite had HDTVs which accepted HDMI inputs so we could hook our tablets up for the kids to watch Netflix, you'll need this if you have kids as the channel selection is pretty slim unless you like a lot of sport. A full size fridge is useful, we never used the microwave or stove though. There was ample parking, the swimming pools were nice enough and the price was reasonable. All pretty standard hotel stuff.

However.

The bad. There must be a different work ethic prevalent in Virginia that we are not used to in the South. During the day, the phone at the front desk rang constantly with nobody there to answer it. One morning, the phone rang and rang and rang while the clerk prepared herself breakfast from the buffet. My wife has hotel experience and the phones were critical as a customer service tool and booking method, she couldn't believe how much they were left to ring. We also couldn't believe how much time and effort we had to put in to scaring up simple items such as towels and toilet paper when we needed them. Bizarrely, housekeeping did not replace toilet paper routinely with their morning service and it's not like we were going crazy with the stuff but we kept running out. This meant many trips to the front desk through the sweltering hallways which have a sour milk and cigarettes smell to them. These trips were made more interesting by the paper thin walls which allow you to listen in on various TV shows, arguments and intimate moments as you went. Also, there was the added tension of wondering if there was going to be anyone there when you arrived (unless Amer was working, he was great and would bend over backwards to help out). One thing the staff were completely on top of though was the swimming pool closing time. 10.01pm? Out you get, hot tub off, no swim for you. Please to go to rooms now.

This is all pretty standard hotel gripe material, I know, but I thought I'd like to share because it is leading up to the ultimate gripe. The ugly. The food.

Having five kids with us, our plans were to give them a good breakfast, snack during the day to keep them from fainting and make use of the Manager's Welcome Home in the evenings. Things did not go as planned. Why? Well, I'll tell you. Breakfast ran most days from 6 to 9, but if you actually wanted to be able to choose your items and have somewhere to sit and eat, you better be camped out at 5.55. Typically, my family wouldn't arrive until after 8 and the scene looked like a U.N. refugee camp in a war-ravaged developing nation. People sit on the floor, the fireplace, lean against the walls, use the furniture in the lobby. Squabbles break out as hungry teenagers fight over the waffle machine or the last sausage link. People risk their safety trying to extract the last drops of orange juice from the glass dispensers by tipping them over, undercaffeinated adults stalk the coffee urns waiting for refills. Chaos. Supper was the same, a menu was posted each day and also a monthly menu was in the room but unless you were in line at 5pm, you were not getting what was on the menu, you were getting what they could find. One night started with chicken fried steak, which some of my kids got, when that ran out some kind of chicken dish appeared, which the rest of my family ate. As we left, pulled pork was being served. Bizarre is not the word, it was as if the catering section planned on the hotel being almost empty every day. Needless to say, we ate out more often than we thought we would, just to avoid the mêlée.

To sum up, this is not the worst hotel in the world, but it has some serious problems that need to be addressed in the way it is run. Next time in D.C., my family will be going elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try the third floor, there's nobody above you to make noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for your review. I am very sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are sorry for all of the inconveniences you experienced during your time with us. We are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience and your review will help us do just that. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider giving us another chance
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The hotel feels very safe and secure. Staff is responsive. Sound insulation is good. Homewood shares property and indoor/outdoor pools with the connected Embassy Suites. Great eateries across the parking lot (Our fav was Kapao, a great Asian restaurant) and shopping is within the reach of the free hotel shuttle. An ANNEX of Air and Space is a free must see within reach of the hotel free shuttle--though this hotel location is bit of a travel challenge for those accustomed to hopping the metro to DC. The metro line is not completed out to Dulles.

Please note: You will need to take the free hotel shuttle to the airport to catch the express bus (takes about 15 mins), the 5A, which costs $7 per person each way and takes about 45 mins to downtown (to L'Infant station), though in rush hour, it takes longer, bus runs every 30-40 minutes and requires exact change, so for our family of four, this journey cost $56 round trip daily. As long as you know this and plan for the cost/inconvenience, you will have a very good stay at this hotel.

We spent quite a bit of time on the shuttle during our stay visiting DC daily and shuttle staff were all very polite. In fact, one am my hubs left his water on the shuttle when dropping us off and Kevin the shuttle driver circled back and brought it to us. Incredibly nice! They also drop you right where you need to go at the airport, by the bus stop or rental car, etcetera, which helps if you are tight to the timeframe on your connection. Calling ahead about an 30-60 mins for the shuttle prevented us from having any difficulties getting to where we needed.

We were there over the 4th of July and were nervous about trying to catch the only bus back along with thousands of others or being trapped in downtown gridlock, so we rented a car one day and drove it to a metro station East Falls Church and caught the metro from there to avoid headaches which turned out very well.

Hotel breakfast includes hot items (hot cereal and rotating hot items including eggs, pancakes, potatoes, bacon, sausage) and otherwise fairly standard fare on most midpoint hotel am offerings, fruit, yogurt, waffles, juice. Only made it to the manager's reception once and the food was modest but gave you options if you wanted just a little something. The salad was fresh and decent quality. No soft drinks but alcohol and fruit punch offered.

Overall a very nice stay and good hotel for families.

Room Tip: Suites provide privacy when traveling with kiddos. Worth the investment! If you have any issues, let...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashburn
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun
Springhill Suites Ashburn Dulles North
Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North
Aloft Dulles Airport North
Residence Inn Dulles Airport at 28 Centre
Courtyard by Marriott Dulles Town Center

Been to Homewood Suites Dulles - North / Loudoun? Share your experiences!