“Cool concept” 4 of 5 stars

Herndon
7 attraction reviews
“Cool concept”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I enjoyed my first experience at Alamo Drafthouse. The concept is unique from other theaters - you have waitstaff, can order from a menu and have selections ranging from normal movie popcorn to sandwiches, beer and milkshakes. A small bonus are the mini pre-shows.

I definitely recommend reserving early to get good seats in the middle of the theater. Otherwise, you would end up with a stiff neck. Ticket and food prices are reasonable, and service is good considering the challenge of not interrupting the show. Soda and popcorn are served in bottomless portions. I think I would pick the Alamo over most other area theaters (there are quite a few selections) but their innovative concept it superior.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“There is no better way to see a movie!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

This was my first visit. I had been to similar setups in the past, but Alamo sure has it all figured out! Benefits: you pick your own reserved seats, (even the back row was great!) Wait staff very nice and very efficient. Downside: We were easily seduced into buying too much food (not by wait staff, just by the fun concept). Can't complain about typical movie theatre price-gouging for popcorn since it is refillable, however, I did end up with a popcorn overdose! Can't wait to go back.

Visited December 2013
Aldie, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
“Great idea,”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

What a cool idea! Lets begin with the bad. The Elvis hair wannabe bartender with the greater than thee, well those around him ( often refereed to as customers) needs to go. You exist because we choose to patronize the business. Just a smidgen of personality goes a long way! On to the great stuff. Movie and a glass of beer, not in a paper cup, but a glass of beer! 36+ choices, what an impressive line up. Bottomless Parmesan Popcorn reasonably priced, perfect! Comfy seats, great sound, fun previews. Win Win! Go online a few days before and book your favorite seat. Easy fast check in.
The service lacks a bit after the movie starts. To indicate you want service you place a little card in front of you, I could barely see to get the card, don't know how effective that is. Our waitress' tip would have been considerably better had she got us the 2nd and possibly 3rd round. Pizza was good, The "Royale with Cheese" ( yes I had one during Pulp Fiction! ) was just okay. Love this place, but I'll likely pass on going early to relax in the lounge as long as the guy that wants me to beg for a beer is tending bar.
Overall, A great idea, best place for an adult to watch a movie, previews and premovie entertainment is awesome. I will be bacl

Ellicott City, Maryland
13 attraction reviews
“My new, favorite movie theater.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

The appeal of the Alamo Drafhouse was that you have wait service right in the theater with a full menu that you eat right at your seat. Also they strictly enforce a no talking and texting rule. They don't allow children if it's not a children's movie so it really preserves the movie going experience. Also, the only previews are special events coming up at the Alamo Drafthouse. They play odd little movie shorts and b-movie trailers while you eat. There is also a nice bar off of the lobby with a good selection of microbrews. The food was above average. The seats were very comfortable with leg room for miles. I found parking easily but that might change soon because it looks like there is tons of development beginning. There is also a nice little courtyard in front of the theater with little games the kids could play, plenty of seats, a small stage and lots of trees. I suspect it will be a great place to hang out once the weather warms up.

For the cost of a standard movie ticket, you reserve your seat in advance, show up a half an hour early and order your food. Once the lights go down, you communicate with your servers with notes that you write on proved pads that you stick in a certain spot on your table so that the service know it's there. You can continue to order food, but it's hard to eat in the dark. You can get a bottomless soda cup or bowl of popcorn.

Visited February 2014
Alexandria
80 attraction reviews
“Very Cool Theatre Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Went here last night to see American Hustle with my friend. She had been before and really liked it. This was my first trip, but I have been to other theaters in the US that are similar. I really liked the theatre and the pre shoe was hilarious. I like how they play other movies besides the mainstream ones. I ordered a milkshake that was very good and a burger. I was not impressed with the burger, and would not get it again. However, overall I really enjoyed myself and would go again. I will be getting something different to nibble on. The seats were very comfortable, and I like that if people are talking or texting they will handle it. This did not happen, but the rules were very clear. I was at Tysons the previous night for a movie and it was $12.50, this was only $11.50. This was much much better. Definitely give this place a try.