“Fun, but inconsistent” 3 of 5 stars

Fairfax, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
“Fun, but inconsistent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

My husband and I tried the Alamo Cinema Drafthouse after buying a Groupon for half-price tickets. We arrived early, and we were able to get seats very easily - I love the reserved seat option! Since we had some time, we visited the tap room and grabbed a couple of beers. Great craft beer selection, I would love to come here for a happy hour.

Once in the theater, the waiter explained the ordering process to us, and we looked over the menu. I thought the food seemed somewhat expensive, but it's a movie theater so that didn't surprise me. We filled out an order card and passed it off to the waiter before the movie began.

It seemed to take quite a while for our food to come out, and it was somewhat underwhelming. The popcorn was not nearly hot enough for my liking, so it was probably sitting for a while. It tasted pretty good though, and the parmesan topping was delicious! I ordered an "adult" milkshake, but when I tasted it, there was definitely no cinnamon or tequila in it. Sure enough, the receipt showed a totally different milkshake than what I wrote down - word for word from the menu - on the order slip. How exactly would you get this problem corrected in a dark theater with a movie playing? However, the pizza I ordered and the burger my husband chose were very tasty.

The final disappointment in my evening was that I specifically wrote down on an order slip that I needed a to-go box for my leftovers, and tucked this with the bill and my credit card. My check and credit card came back, but no box. I had to wait for the movie to end and the lights to come up to once again request a box.

Overall, this seems like a fun novelty, but it just gets too complicated to execute during a movie. If you don't get a food order in before the film starts, it is really difficult to read the menu. However, I would come back to watch a movie here since they have reserved seating and a strict no-cellphone/no-talking policy. I would also be open to having a meal in the tap room with a cold beer, since the food was tasty overall. It just seems like the combination of dinner and movie is too much to deal with.

Visited November 2013

Ashburn, Virginia
26 attraction reviews
“Good venue for a movie if you are an adult”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

The Alamo Cinema Drafthouse was a unique experience. The theater is clean and the service is friendly. I feel it is more appropriate venue for adults than children. The food was delicious, however it is very hard to eat a meal in a darkened movie theater. I prefer being able to see my food as well as be able to read the amount of the bill. I'd go back for a movie, but not to eat.

Visited September 2013
Sterling, Virginia
15 attraction reviews
“Good Beer, Good Food and a Movie!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I tried this place out shortly after it opened and really enjoyed it. We have already planned to go back. Our waiter was great. Very attentive and quickly got in and out without disturbing the movie watching. They have a great Beer selection and the pretzel is awesome! I want to go back just for that pretzel! YUM! I had the pizza, which was very tasty and my boyfriend had a burger. the only thing I will say is that you have to remember that it is pretty dark in a theater and a burger can be a bit hard to eat when you cant see what you are doing/eating. We also liked that you could order tickets online and reserve your seat so that you don't have to rush to get there early for a good seat. You can also meet up before hand and enjoy some drinks in the bar area in the lobby before heading in to see your movie. We are excited to watch another movie here!

Visited August 2013
Reston, Virginia, United States
4 attraction reviews
“Good Idea, Bad Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I like the concept of eating dinner while watching a movie. My wife and I went. The food was good, the movie, well it was a movie, but the SERVICE WAS BAD. The system is that when you want a server to come, you place your paper in a slot like a flag. Well, the system didn't work. There were only 20 people in the theater for our movie, but it took 45 minutes to get a glass of water. I don't understand the problem.

Visited October 2013
Reston
23 attraction reviews
“Great place to see a movie”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Can't say how much I love this theater! Prices on par with "regular" theaters but the food/drinks are cheaper and the quality is much, much higher. So nice to sit down, have waiter service, etc. Clean (though I think it's pretty much brand new), even the bathrooms were relatively clean. Full bar, too.

As for food, we got the soft pretzel, super fresh, hot, and actually had a great flavor, even without the excellent mustard sauce and the queso. Also got a milkshake, which was good and the carnivore pizza. The cheese on the pizza was EXACTLY the way cheese should be, stringy, ooey, and gooey and they put a ton of toppings on. I liked that they let me get the kid's size milkshake. I'm lactose-intolerant and love milkshakes. An adult size one would have killed me but the kid size allowed me to enjoy without getting too sick.

Comfy seats, good food, great service, can't ask for better than that!

Visited September 2013