“Comfortable way to watch a movie” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 12 Attractions in Ashburn
Type: Amusement
13 attraction reviews
“Comfortable way to watch a movie”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

It was our first visit last night. We were celebrating our anniversary and decided to take in a movie after our dinner. If we had known we could have come to Alamo and had both. There is a lounge for before and after the movies and you can order food and drinks from your seat in the movie. The food smelled good but we were already full so we will write another review after we eat there. They have assigned seats in the theatre. I think we actually sat in the wrong seats but the show was not near full so it did not matter. Big screen and big comfy chairs, we enjoyed our show.

Visited July 2013

Review collected in partnership with Watchb4go.com

Lincoln Park, New Jersey
3 attraction reviews
“Great Concept Needs Improving”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This is a great concept to eat and drink while watching a movie. However, they need to improve their efficiency and process of taking and delivering rods. We were 5 on one bill and only received 4 sandwiches. They should take advantage of iPad type order taking to get info to the kitchen faster. Beer selection was big but not descriptive and the server could not help.

U.S. expats
25 attraction reviews
“Love it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I'm so glad the Alamo Cinema Drafthouse opened. It is a terrific concept combining food, movies, and a very strict no texting, no phones, no noise policy which will keep me coming back.

If you go, I would advise you to get there early, rather than late--seats are assigned, so that you party can sit and eat together. And order as soon as you can. We got our food while the pre-movie entertainment was being shown, so perfect for seeing and eating your food. Once the lights were dimmed for the feature, I could not see the food in front of me.

The food is pretty good. It's nice to be able to eat it in a movie theater. And the staff are very responsive, and quiet. We were aware--barely--of others ordering dessert/drinks in the theater, but they were brought in by staff who crouched down and seemed to glide noiselessly in. We checked our bill and paid after the feature was over.

Place is very clean, as well.

4 attraction reviews
“Great concept. More work to do.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We have had 2 visits so far. Both movies were not crowded. The first was 3 weeks ago and we ordered simple items such as popcorn and a coke. No problems although getting the bill and paying seemed to take some time. This weekend we went to see another movie and brought a guest to showcase the place. We ordered a complete dinner. A disaster. They got half wrong and one item that did not have the avocado in it when questioned, I was told it would cost me again to have it delivered. At the end, the screwed up the bills charging me for another customer and he me. They were only 6-8 people in the cinema hall. The reps were polite enough but totally disorganized and there seemed to be more employees than customers. Its expensive and if we are ordering from a restaurant and paying restaurant prices, we should have the food correct, delivered hot and receive and pay the correct bill. I won't bring any more friends until its a better experience.

Visited May 2013
18 attraction reviews
“The Dinner Theater”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I had a hankering to see Star Trek: Into Darkness again (because Benedict Cumberbatch!) but my nearest theater wasn't showing at the time of my sudden urge. An internet search turned up the fact that the Alamo Drafthouse was open for business - Yes!

The theater is located in Ashburn in a location off Route 7 called One Lounden. How appropriate; as the touted "New Downtown" currently seemed to have only one resident - the Drafthouse itself. Even the traffic lights weren't all online and construction evidence was everywhere.

I had arrived in plenty of time for the show, but be aware this place doesn't feature stadium-sized theaters. There were only four single seats left, pretty crazy for a film that's been out almost a month. The ticket price was $9 for a post-6pm showing, cheaper than a matinee hereabouts. Inside, the seat was comfortable enough with a clear field of view, even for a short person in the back row, over the aisle-long table to the screen showing cheesy Star Trek live-action and cartoon clips, official and unofficial. After an ad for upcoming Drafthouse events, a multi-screen warning against talking or texting, and just a couple of official previews, the movie started.

Now the ticket price may be cheaper than most other theaters in the area. However, one of the major hooks of an Alamo Drafthouse is the ability to order food and drink, either from the attached restaurant or within the theater itself, and then chow down during a showing. That said, the prices of the consumables weren't too steep. The menu featured plenty of movie-fare like bottomless popcorn and sodas to greasy spoon food like burgers, pizzas, and shakes taken upscale. I wrote down my order ($12 mushroom and onion pizza and a $6.50 draft of Devil's Backbone) and popped the paper into the slot in front of me. Server Gabby came down the aisle and picked up all the slips before the previews. The food arrived early in the movie. The pizza was hot with a crispy crust, the onions were sweet and the mushrooms mushroomy. The beer was cold and came in a good-sized glass. Periodically the servers would circulate the room, to take down new orders, refill the popcorn, clear the dishes, and drop off the checks. Everything was wrapped up by the time the credits rolled.

I enjoyed the show and will definitely return for more dinner and movie experiences. However, I will probably go for films I've seen already or don't require deep concentration to follow the plot. As discreetly as the servers tried to move in the dark, they still were a bit of a distraction to me while I was watching the action onscreen. Alamo's warning was taken seriously though, as there was no speech, no cell-phone action; even the usual popcorn chomps and soda slurps were non-existent. Heaven. Overall I'd rate the Alamo Drafthouse at 4 1/2 dots.