“Good stop, but as expensive as you suspect” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 12 Attractions in Ashburn
Type: Amusement
Washington D.C. Metro Area
24 attraction reviews
“Good stop, but as expensive as you suspect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Happy hour, dinner, a movie... Yes. The Alamo strives for it all. Great tap selection, very good seating scheme, good food and first run movies. That is a nice combo. There is a premium to pay for such luxury, so bring your ready money. A drink, movie and dinner for two, plus popcorn ran close to $70. My burger was juicy, the fries quickly moved to room temp, the beer was served at a good temp (i.e,not too cold) and the pop orb was bottomless, not that we could eat a bowl. The good news on the corn is that the butter was undeniably real as my arteries hardened while Star Trek played on.

It was a touch odd to me to eat in the dark, but that was acceptable. The service was good, and it is clean. I will return and bring friends.

It is gluten free friendly, although the selection was not great even though the advertise. There are a lot of ways to play it depending on your sensitivity. For those unaffected, the beer selection was very good.

21 attraction reviews
“Review of Staff Training Day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We reserved seats in advance for 7 of us to go on a Tuesday night during one of their pre-opening staff training nights. The place was very clean but again it had only been open to the public 2 days. We ordered reserved seating a few days in advance and were stuck with only front row seats being available for 7 of us. The front row isn't as close as a normal movie theatre so that was nice but it still was too close for my liking. We arrived early as suggested on the website and checked in the kiosk using my credit card. There was someone there helping everyone figure out the kiosk which was helpful since it was busy. We hung out in the lobby for a few minutes until it was time for our theatre to open up. There is a bar area but we didn't go inside. We quickly found our seats and were promptly greeted by a server who explained how we order food and drinks using the paper folding method. We placed our order and about 20-30 minutes later it arrived- we expected this wait since that was detailed on the website. My friend's food arrived before her drinks and it took 4-5 times asking different attendants before the brought them. This isn't a ding since it was a staff training night and mistakes were expected. The problem was her son ate some of his cheese pizza and the sauce was spicy so he complained the whole time and we of course offered him our drinks but he was too embarrassed to accept our offer. Eventually after having a burning mouth he broke down and accepted drinking from our drink. I'm sure this snag has been worked out now that everyone is trained but my recommendation is to have a drink station in that server room in the theatre so one of the 5 people we informed could have easily got two drinks immediately. I thought the bathrooms were small for the size of the theatre and dark but maybe that's part of the decor or ambiance they were trying to achieve? Overall it was a great night and we enjoyed the food we ordered: cheese and pepperoni pizza for the kids, chips and queso for me, two orders of mozzarella sticks for my son, homemade buttered popcorn like you'd make at home, and I ordered some type of flavored tea which was good. They also had root beer floats and hot chocolate that my kids ordered. If you want more food all you have to do is stick a new folder piece of paper with your order sticking out- very easy system. We are on a tight budget so we will be back but not often due to the cost for 7 people to see one movie and eating is well over $100.

3 attraction reviews
“Nothing came out at the same time.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We have been looking forward to Alamo opening for a while and couldn't wait to visit. They have a lot of kinks to work out. I really, really wanted to like it, but they are still learning and it wasn't pretty.

Full disclosure - 2nd week they were open. My daughter's 13th birthday with 3 friends and 2 adults = party of 6.

I purchased tickets ahead of time and chose assigned seats. It costs an additional $1 ticket to do that, but for a Friday night of Ironman 3 (2D), it was worth it. That all went as planned.

Arrived 30 minutes early for seating and ordering dinner as suggested. The server was very friendly.

Ordered sodas, beer & 4 appetizers (fried pickles, bottomless popcorn, chili con queso, & french fries. . First thing to arrive the french fries. Then the drinks started coming out, no beverage napkins. Then the fried pickles, but they arrived as cold pickles with queso. That was resolved, but not quickly. (who orders cold pickles with queso?). Popcorn showed up, the fried pickles, chili con queso. At this point the movie has started and we can't see the food that is being served to us.

The pickles were fried spears ($7), nice crisp batter and piping hot. Will order again.
Popcorn, was fine, but it took forever to get extra bowls to share the popcorn and not keep handing a bowl back and forth between 6 people. The chili con queso tasted like it came out of a jar, total waste of money.

Mexican wrap was so spicey I had to send it back. It tasted like pickled jalepeno juice was in the vinaigrette dressing. I was intrigued by the jicama, and it was fresh tasting. I just couldn't get beyond the spicey. I spent 15 years in Texas and have lost my hot tooth after living here. It was normal for Texas, but hot by Virginia standards.

Greek wrap was fresh. The teenagers loved the burgers.

The movie theater, nothing special. Standard high back chairs. Drinks, appetizers, entrees, nothing delivered in a group. One or two items at a time.

Permanent Downside: you can't see your food when it's delivered. Three or 4 people were delivering food and drinks to us and the server was never sure if/when things had been delivered.

Next time, I will arrive earlier, order drinks and appetizers in the bar and take with us to the movie. Until the timing of the food delivery is fixed, Thumbs down.