“Delicious, comforting Italian” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Helena115
“Delicious, comforting Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I've been here several times and haven't had anything that I didn't like. Amazing pizza, a great seafood stew and a spicy spaghetti bolognese. Service has been good each time, and they were great about answering questions and finding acceptable substitutions for a vegetarian who didn't want ham on their pizza. Desserts were also good. It's a great place to sit with a bottle of wine and enjoy the meal and the company.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Honolulu
“Erik makes GREAT DRINKS!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We sat at the bar and order drinks. Erik was our waiter and he was FANTASTIC....he had a quick wit about him but best of all he was able to make my favorite drink by me just describing it to him...STRAWBERRY BASIL MARTINI! We ordered calamari which was nice and tender...not rubbery at all....and a pizza...which are always good. It is a cute spot and the service is always nice.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Exeter, New Hampshire
“Disappointing at best”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my first time at this restaurant and it seemed like I was in a scene from one of those restaurant reality shows. Let's start from the beginning... The front of the restaurant featured an A frame menu board with menu items and prices, good so far, at least I might know what I'm getting and how much it's going to cost. Once I sat down I noticed right away that all the prices were higher on the menu. I pointed it out to the server and she said something like "sorry everything cost more so we had to raise our prices". Well that's too bad for me, given that I expected to be charged the price on the reader board. And in poor form she didn't offer to charge me the listed price. About 10 minutes later the manager scurried outside and removed the menu board. There was only about 20 people in the restaurant at the time, so to correct it properly might have cost them $20. I'm sure other people noticed.
I ordered the $20 Veal Parmigiana with Penne Pasta figuring that can't be messed up too badly and maybe I would be surprised. When it showed up in front of me (very quickly I might add) I was presented with the typical Veal Parm dish with a large slab of Veal sitting on top of a generous portion of Penne Pasta. The only problem was that the pasta was absolutely drowning in Marinara sauce, a somewhat acidic sauce that permeated the penne pasta. It looked like they scooped out a pile of pasta from a batch of pasta that had been sitting in sauce for some time. You know what I'm talking about, the kind you get in a buffet line. Shortly after I received the main course the bread finally showed up on my table, a little late for me. I was not impressed with the bread as well, It was just OK, kinda like grocery store rolls sliced up.
The restaurant was well staffed with people that mainly meandered around talking to each other to keep from being bored. I even saw one of the servers leaning against the wall watching TV. It was news about the pope so maybe I'm being a little harsh. All in all, the place looked nice but the food was less than mediocre and service was the same. Maybe I caught them on a bad night, but I doubt that I'll be back. Not quite the delightful experience I had the day before at the Blue Ridge Grill, another restaurant a few doors down in the same shopping center.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ashburn, Virginia
“WOW!!! Amazing, Will be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

First let me premise this review by saying I very rarely write reviews, but this place deserves it. This is the best Italian I've had in years. The calamari was tender and delicate. The Veal Marsala was PERFECT (so hard to find a flavorful brown Marsala), the lasagna was meaty and delicious, and the tiramisu was light, sweet, and perfect. The owner personally stopped by our table several times and was very hospitable. Our server, Johnathan, was still in his first week. He was honest, genuine, and sincere. He still has some work to do on his menu knowledge, but never lied to us about something he hadn't tried, and was quick to find the answers to any questions he didn't know how to answer. I'm Italian, La Cucina is REAL Italian. I can't wait to go back!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ashburn, Virginia
“Was willing to give it another chance but again disappointed......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We've been a couple of times and each time the service was slow and staff not knowledgable of the menu and had to read the specials from a piece of paper......not much training must be given to the staff in this area. Everytime we were there it was busy but then again there is not a whole lot to chose from in Brambleton and personally I think thats why. The food is ok, by no means amazing for its price but my main concern regarding the menu is that the restaurant is in an area with so many kids yet the kid menu lacks what most restaurants do which is include a drink in the price, this restaurant charges $2.50 for a milk.......highly outrageous in my mind!! We were also overcharged tonight on our check and it took forever for 3 staff members to sort it out and then when we did get our new check we were overcharged more than $30 on our credit card.......with 2 young kids I had nor the time nor patience for this kind of nonsense and as we've definitely given it a couple of chances we will not go back again.

• Visited November 2012