“A place my Greek friends recommend” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 152 restaurants in Ashburn
Cuisines: Greek
Ashburn, Virginia
“A place my Greek friends recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Love this place! Everything has been great. We've tried everything from the octopus, the saganaki, the lamb dishes, to the hummus. Everything is fantastic. I would go there once a week if I could. The kids menu is tasty as well. Can't say enough about Opa!

91% Recommend
Leesburg, Virginia
“Found a Dang good Gyro!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Have had their Chicago Gyro (Lamb & Beef) and Chicken Kabob - both very tasty and flavorful. The gyros so far are the best we have had in the area - meat is juicy and seasoned well, the thin red onions offer just enough crunch & flavor, tatziki sauce was fresh and the pita is perfect (fresh, soft and not too bready) = delish! The chicken kabob was moist (hate overcooked chicken) and flavorful. The accompanying rice was also very tasty. I'm the queen of takeout, the service is good. They're pleasant taking your order over the phone, they read it back to you and their pick up times are fairly accurate. They're just as pleasant when you come inside. I really like this place, one of these days we're going to eat in!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Nice surprise under pressure.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Although I live just a few miles away, it took a Washington Post review for me to notice the unassuming restaurant in a strip mall. We went on a Saturday night the week after The Post's review and it was packed. We had the foresight to call ahead and were seated within a few minutes. When the staff mentioned it was extra busy due to the favorable review, I knew we would see the restaurant's true colors. And rise to the challenge they did. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The food, fresh and tasty. Baked feta, baked olives and dolmas were just part of the appetizer platter worthy of being a meal. Calamari was nicely done. Lamb kabobs, Village Salad and Mousakka (best I have ever had) were all crowd pleasers. The entire table shared all entrees (or as much as the person was willing to share). Gyros on a return visit were excellent. And if I left out how tasty the pita bread was, I would be be doing a disservice. My 10 year old son, the picky eater, was enthusiastic about the chicken strips so something for everyone.

The atmosphere is a bit stark. Yes, you are aware of the store front setting when you walk in, but it will dissolve once you take your first bite.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Leesburg, Virginia
“Great Evening Great Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I should have written this as soon as I got home....I tend to forget things. We have some friends who we love to try new places with and this was our one for March.

When we walked in about 5:30 PM on a Saturday night it was surprisingly not crowded yet...we were warmly greeted by staff while we picked out our table. I am glad we came when we did, because about a half an hour later it was packed! It is very simple inside and on the smaller side...not a place if you want a romantic date I don't think....unless you can get one if the two tables tucked back in the window alcoves...we lucked out.

We started with the Grape Leaf Rolls and the sample of sauces with some warm fresh pita bread...Yum! My husband who is super picky was the only one who did not like the Grape Leaf Rolls, don't go by that though he is a pretty basic eater. We ordered beer and wine from the menu and even though there were only two choices of white wine by the glass, we were very happy with the one we ordered, second one down on the list...however next time we will go ahead and order a bottle! The boys enjoyed the selection of beer.

Main courses, we all loved! I had the Chicken Kabobs with Rice, my husband ordered the Combo Patter of a ton of meat....almost too much for him, but he was happy. Our friends ordered the Lamb Shank...I don't do Lamb but he loved it and his wife ordered the Pork Chop with Potatoes....she has a lot of food allergies and is Gluten Free so she was thrilled to find something good she could have.

For dessert...yes, we went there....and as full as I was and ready to be sick I ate it all besides the one bite that was going to put me over the edge. My friend and I had a custard wrapped in phyllo dough soked in honey....I can't remember the name, but man it was good. My friends husband ordered the baklava and said it was great. I would have ordered coffee but our waiter told us it is very strong so I passed.

Speaking of our waiter, and I wish I had his name, he was perfect. Attentive but not bothersome, very knowledgable about the menu and had a great sense of humor. As the restaurant got packed we never felt it and we were taken care of just as we were when it was half full.

Check it out, you won't be disappointed!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lansdowne
“Good casual dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We visited Opa again, this time at lunch. It was nice and clean as usual. Our server was very nice as usual. The order of the pork wrap was very very good. Definitely a nice place to go for a casual lunch - not super cheap - but a good value. A definite go.

• Visited February 2013