“A hidden gem...” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A hidden gem...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Pleasant friendly service, great frozen drinks, so-so guac... great fresh shrimp and guac appetizer, as well as the refried beans with some freshly chopped avocado on top. Decent happy hour specials...

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Ashburn, Virginia
“Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Great food, great drinks, great people.
Would good back

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ashburn, VA
“If you are craving Mexican food, go someplace else.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I have been eating at the Sterling, VA location of Los Toltecos for years (since at least 2004). The food was always delicious and service was good. They had so many different dishes on their menu (all listed by number), my mom started to call this place "numbers". And no matter which menu number you selected, the wait staff always knew what you wanted.

But as the years have gone on, the quality has declined.

When I found out they had opened a location in Ashburn, I was pleased. Now I didn't have to drive to Sterling anymore. The Ashburn location is just off the Greenway. The building where Los Toltecos is located has been many other restaurants over the years. It was a different Mexican place a few years ago, then it turned into a BBQ place. It is located in the same shopping center as Safeway.

Well, we decided to go and check this place out. The waiter we had was super slow and didn’t seem interested in helping us at all. The menu had lost the majority of its dishes. I ordered a few items from the a la carte menu…a soft taco and a tostada. Both had taco meat on them. OK, I realize I probably shouldn’t have gotten ground beef, but I normally enjoy it. But this ground beef was gross. It looked like it had been boiled. It was grey, dry and tasteless. Overall, it was bad experience. I don’t plan on going back here anytime soon.

• Visited July 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Northern Virginnie
“Started out good, but food quality is declining”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We have been to Broadlands Los Toltecos frequently for dinner since May. During May and June our dining experiences were good - perfect margaritas, good service - especially from one waiter who always has a smile for customers. We have ordered other dishes, and especially have enjoyed the fajitas. The last time we went there, we didn't order the fajitas and waited quite a while before even being approached by our waiter - I think the head guy at this restaurant - even though there were very few customers that evening. We ordered something entirely different and when our dinners arrived, it wasn't very fresh looking and I'm thinking microwavable hot.
I love chile rellenos - theirs are stuffed with a bland cheese and potato, and must be frozen and brought in - perhaps from a central kitchen for all their restaurants. So, I know not to order them. Actually, as time has progressed, we have decided many of the dishes must be made the same way.
This restaurant is new to this location but this is a chain in our area - they have a nice patio and interior dining spaces, and they have much experience with customers and service. After declining dining experiences, with this last one being the proverbial straw, it will be a while before we return.
The ratings of "average" which I am giving are the average of all those times we had eaten here, not the most recent one which was "poor".

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ashburn, Virginia
“Absolute WORST alleged Mexican "food" ever in Ashburn Los Toltecos”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

The Ashburn Los Toltecos just opened today, so there is no listing for it here, but everyone should be warned how bad this "food" really is. I ordered numerous different dishes off of the a al carte menu just to get a taste of the different food types. Whatever "red sauce" they use on their enchiladas, tamales, and chile rellenos tastes EXACTLY like it was poured directly out of a Campbell's tomato soup can. Not even a hint of any sort of Mexican spices. The taco was so bland it was hard to find any flavor whatsoever. Whatever they use for cheese cannot possibly be an actual dairy product. I have never been more dissatisfied at a Mexican restaurant. I do not believe in wasting food but threw out the rest of my order after tasting each dish. Save your money.

• Visited April 2011