“Seafood without the trip to New England” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 154 Restaurants in Ashburn
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Family Fare, Oyster Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Los Angeles
“Seafood without the trip to New England”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Having grown up in Massachusetts, I have a pretty good idea of what good seafood is. Even though this restaurant is in Virginia, they fit the bill very nicely. We try to go every couple of months and have yet to have a bad meal. The lobster roll, available in both styles is good, as are the scallops and stuffed cod. Maine chips is a must for an appetizer, along with the lobster chowder(available at the weekend) or the clam chowder are all good choices. Two things that I find fault with...1) Timing is everything....hit it wrong and you should have an alternative restaurant in mind. 2)Service...don't expect over the top, its average at best. The upsells get really annoying almost to the point of being hard sells. The last time we were here, our waiter(it was a Sunday late morning, coming off an obviously rough night for him), was paying so much attention that he collected our silverware in the middle of the meal. No kidding he really did. Expect good food here, with a value to match...unfortunately, the service is the weak link in this establishment.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Yonkers, New York
“Great sides and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Had the fish tacos they were really good and the corn was awesome. I heard the mac and cheese is also amazing. Good sized portions, would go again.

Visited May 2013
Germantown, Maryland
“An experience not worth Ever Repeating!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I usually like to check out new restaurants, and see what other advisors on Trip Advisor or Yelp have to say! Let me start off with, no offense meant, to other reviewer's of this shack, but this was the worst excuse for a fish specialty Restaurant EVER! Some folks on here say that is the best seafood they have ever had, I Disagree, the seafood wasn't worth the price nor tasty! Starting with Lobster Bisque, If I hadn't ordered a shot of Sherry to put in my bisque, the taste of the bisque would have been pretty bad! I ordered a shrimp roll, and it was average in taste, not nearly enough shrimp for the hefty price I paid for it. My fiance ordered, the bisque, and had a Casear salad. The salad had a Casear dressing made with Mayo and that was not tasty in her opinion either. I have traveled in every New England State and this place doesn't come close to Decent Maine Seafood, in taste nor quality. I left the Shack, and thought, I would have been better off eating at Long John Silver's for seafood. At least there you get what you pay for. I can't stress enough, the fact that we had high expectations of this Shack, because of the other comments on Trip Advisor, now I begin to wonder, if the reviewers here ever had really decent Maine or New England Seafood before?? I leave you with this thought my friends, I am not sure how this place survives but they seemed to be busy. They need to improve what they serve and how it's prepared too! Unfortunately, I will tell my associates that I work with in D.C. Please don't waste your time nor your money at Ford's Fish Shack. To everybody else, if you don't care about quality food, small portions, and pricey everything, then by all means Go directly to this Shack.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Good Food-Fun Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We went to Ford's fro lunch and sorry we couldn't go back for dinner. We ordered Clam Chowder soup, it was very good (I did not like the crackers in the soup). The server was most helpful in helping us to decide how to order a combination plate we would enjoy. The whole bellied fried clams, scallops and fired oysters were so yummy. The portions are very generous. There is outdoor seating.
It was difficult finding a parking space. The restaurant is located in a shopping mall, very tight parking. Also we were there during lunch hour so it was quite busy. The service is excellent and food was great!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best Seafood in Northern Virginia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We just left Ford's Fish Shack, and we just had to comment on it's unique seafood dishes and excellent service. Joey, our server, was personable and attentive. He made some recommendations for food choices, such as the angry mussels and the potato crusted halibut. The Maine chips were delicious. The sauce on the trout was slightly sweet and was a great complement to the pecans and fish. Top notch food and service. We will be back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere